Royal News

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I heard this years ago, something to do with either herself or sister Margaret not being able to pronounce Elizabeth.

The article below shows the Queen being addressed as 'Lilibet' by King Felipe of Spain

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-beloved-cousin-dear-uncle-Prince-Philip.html
The name also came up in The Crown where some commoner who was heretofore in with t'royals used it, to the family's horror.
He was summarily booted from the Inner Circle.

Might've been the one Margaret nearly married, Townshend?
Margaret was of course persuaded to give that one up because he was divorced and settle for a more acceptable aristocratic bisexual roué.

(The scene in The Crown where the Queen's advisers have to tell her about her future brother in law's sexual adventurousness is high comedy, reminiscent of the much-lampooned 'revelation' scene in Downfall. :chuckle: )

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to watch it on principle, y'know, but it's brilliant.

I'm torn.

From the single clip I saw on YouTube, I think I'll find infuriating—but need to watch every episode!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm torn.

From the single clip I saw on YouTube, I think I'll find infuriating—but need to watch every episode!
Nah, it's excellent. Not remotely sycophantic.

Didn't make me any more sympathetic towards them - nothing could do that - but I enjoyed how the big themes of the time were played out through the characters. Can remember this happening from my childhood in the '60s.

In fact, one scene reminded me of a time when it was in the news and I was in the local park, possibly up a tree, contemplating it. :chuckle:

Knowing the plot doesn't detract from the interest, except that I had to watch the Aberfan episode on my own because I didn't want to be seen snivelling.
The murder of Mountbatten though, I looked forward to that episode and it did not disappoint. Will we ever know who was really behind it?

I may rewatch before the new series starts.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A fantastic and excoriating piece by Marina Hyde on Prince Charles' presently stepped-down valet. Ordinarily her pieces would be too political for this forum but this is safe. I love her dissection of Prince Charles' claims of inclusivity for his organisations – what with him having his job purely by dint of who his parents are!

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...let-saudi-billionaire-charles-michael-fawcett

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Nah, it's excellent. Not remotely sycophantic.

Didn't make me any more sympathetic towards them - nothing could do that - but I enjoyed how the big themes of the time were played out through the characters. Can remember this happening from my childhood in the '60s.

In fact, one scene reminded me of a time when it was in the news and I was in the local park, possibly up a tree, contemplating it. :chuckle:

Knowing the plot doesn't detract from the interest, except that I had to watch the Aberfan episode on my own because I didn't want to be seen snivelling.
The murder of Mountbatten though, I looked forward to that episode and it did not disappoint. Will we ever know who was really behind it?

I may rewatch before the new series starts.
I can't bring myself to watch it. I just prefer horror type things anyway! Lol!

Well, Fringe has just started on Pick on freeview and I love it!

They give a pet cow a party!!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to watch it. I just prefer horror type things anyway! Lol!

Well, Fringe has just started on Pick on freeview and I love it!

They give a pet cow a party!!
The Crown is like a replay of the news from my childhood and adolescence.
Few characters come out with much dignity apart from 'er Maj 'erself. This is how I remember them. :chuckle:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Oh dearie me. Some policeman will be directing traffic on Rockall soon.

Prince Andrew served with papers, accuser's team claims​

Published34 minutes ago

Lawyers for the woman who has accused Prince Andrew of sexual abuse claim they have successfully served him with legal papers.
Virginia Giuffre has launched a civil case against the prince in New York - and legal papers have to be "served" before the case can proceed.
Her lawyers say they were served on 27 August, being left with a police officer at Windsor's Royal Lodge.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58523119

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Apparently the lawyers have floated the idea that the NDA between his accuser and Epstein should protect Andy from prosecution. I'm sure that will go well. Looks about as respectable and honest as running off to Scotland.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Apparently the lawyers have floated the idea that the NDA between his accuser and Epstein should protect Andy from prosecution. I'm sure that will go well. Looks about as respectable and honest as running off to Scotland.
Are NDA's still binding after the death of the person who had the NDA drawn up?

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Are NDA's still binding after the death of the person who had the NDA drawn up?
I don't know, but it sounds like the sort of grasping at straws that we have seen far too much of in recent years. I think the legal foundation of the claim is on par with the loopier crap from the Q Anon camp, but I'm no lawyer. At any rate, it doesn't look like something an innocent person would contrive. Andy's plausible deniability stretches credulity beyond what I consider rational already, and this nonsense and the hiding out under the Mum's skirts don't help one bit.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I don't know, but it sounds like the sort of grasping at straws that we have seen far too much of in recent years. I think the legal foundation of the claim is on par with the loopier crap from the Q Anon camp, but I'm no lawyer. At any rate, it doesn't look like something an innocent person would contrive. Andy's plausible deniability stretches credulity beyond what I consider rational already, and this nonsense and the hiding out under the Mum's skirts don't help one bit.
Cannot add a single word to this fine analysis. :nods:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Oh dearie me. Some policeman will be directing traffic on Rockall soon.
I've been giggling about this. Spot-on. :bthumbup:

The fact that the first agent was turned away suggests to me that a different tactic was then tried.

Like, the first one rocks up wearing a suit, shades and a baseball cap, possibly with a toothpick protruding from the corner of his mouth.

'Hey there, how ya doin', serving papers on Mr Prince His Highness Andrew from the court in New York.'

SLAM

Later -

Nondescript van pulls up, tired-looking bloke in jeans and beanie knocks, consults a handheld device and continues to stare at it as he holds out big brown envelope and says 'Delivery for His Highness, thank you!'
He perfunctorily extracts a promise that it will be handed over in due course and leaves.

That'd work on me anyway.

HRH must get lots of important-looking mail all the time. It could have been anything. :chuckle:

feen5

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the having to serve papers on someone a load of bollox. To be honest (call me naïve) but I always thought that was a bit of Hollywood exaggeration. Does he really have to served the papers to face some sort of justice

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I think it's a thing to do with not being able to deny ever having received any notice of prosecution. If they have a record of them actually putting the document in your hands it's fairly well provable.

feen5

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I understand that but its the making it so onerous to hand the papers over that gets me. The lawyers for Virginia Roberts shouldn't have to jump through hoops to hand them over. Its the royal family for f*cks sake, the have all sorts of press secretaries and flunkies' hanging around fulfilling their every whim. The lawyers should be able to just hand the papers to whatever office looks after his mail and if Prince Andrews lawyers don't respond within a set time then its his problem not theirs.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Oh I dunno.....maybe they got the wrong address or sumthing. Possibly they tried handing it to the landlord at 'The Windsor Castle' pub?

Joking aside though, you're right. I mean, if I ever get an automatically generated penalty for some kind of driving-related thing, that just turns up in the post.
And that is 'The Royal Mail' too, so essentially (AFAIK) anything in the possession of 'The Royal Mail' is essentially held by the crown during it's delivery, which is why it is a crime to 'interfere with the Royal Mail'.
So just post the documents to Andrew.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the having to serve papers on someone a load of bollox. To be honest (call me naïve) but I always thought that was a bit of Hollywood exaggeration. Does he really have to served the papers to face some sort of justice
A defendant can evade answering to charges if he / she can reasonably claim to have never been notified that charges have been made against him / her. Serving papers ratchets court proceedings forward by demonstrably placing responsibility on the defendant to appear / answer / whatever. If papers cannot be served, it falls to the prosecuting authorities to ask the court's permission to notify the defendant by some other means (e.g., a public notice). Otherwise, the service process has to continue until such time as the defendant is formally served and becomes obligated to appear or otherwise answer to the court.

No intermediate party or proxy can be a legally valid recipient of served papers unless they hold formal legal authority over the defendant's affairs or the court rules their receipt constitutes actionable receipt by the defendant based on extraordinary circumstances.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
It's probably just a stalling tactic. Some say Andy is so out of touch with reality that he thinks he can ignore the whole thing and it will just "blow over". Other family members might assume it will end up with their having to write a big fat check. Has any member of the Royal Family been confronted with legal consequences in modern times? They might be in for a rude awakening. Certainly the court of public opinion is not impressed.

Of course Chuck has his own lurid scandal to mismanage. The Queen is not getting younger. Is it possible that a generation could be skipped, and William could take over? He doesn't appear to have any glaring character flaws. Kate seems sane.