Royal News

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
…our coins are now flimsy crap.

l didn’t realise until a year or so ago, when one stuck to the magnetic closure of my iPhone case, that they are now made of steel.

Several years back l was at the BM, studying a display of Roman coinage. The curators pointed out how closely the decline of the Roman Empire was paralleled by the debasement of its coinage.

Hmmm

maximus otter

Reaction score
Or just get about in one of these....

View attachment 47427

norab.jpg

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, it will be the end of an era, won’t it?

maximus otter
I admit I will watch a lot of the coverage but there will be a limit as to how much I can take!

I rather enjoyed the endless repeats on Prince Philip but it was relentless so this time, will be all prepared when the Queen pops her clogs!

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Princess Beatrice will take Harry’s position as Counselor of State.

I don’t have a clue to what this means.

It is rumored that since the Queen is resting, Charles and Williams’ work load has gotten heavy.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I often wonder if Charles really wants to be King now at his age. All that travelling about and meeting dignitaries, let alone the proletariat and plebs.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In American news Queen told to rest 2 more weeks, but the Queen says she will be there for Britain’s Remembrance.

Maybe she just has the flu ?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
In American news Queen told to rest 2 more weeks, but the Queen says she will be there for Britain’s Remembrance.

Maybe she just has the flu ?
The Remembrance ceremony has been described as one of the things she regards as most sacred so she is determined to be there. She merely oversees it now she does not take an active part in laying a wreath.

Tunn11

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
True - we have got entirely out of the daily habit of handling money with earlier monarchs' heads on!

Yet, I can recall the days when a Victorian penny would turn up in our change, every few weeks! :)
I think that decimalisation, which effectively forced a coinage with only one monarch on it somehow restricted a lot of people's sense of history. Nothing in circulation pre 1971, that's probably about the time the dinosaurs died out.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It used to be a silver sixpence, but I think too many children ended up swallowing them - hence the reason for using a much larger coin.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Just had a thought about the Queen- if she dies tonight (which I really hope she doesn't) it would throw a real spanner in the whole Cop26 machine!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I just saw an ad on TV for alcohol free Gordon's; the Queen Mum is turning in her grave.

New Gordon’s Alcohol Free 0.0%. Made using only the finest distilled botanicals, just like the original Gordon’s London Dry Gin, Gordon’s 0.0% provides the bold, juniper led character you’d expect from Gordon’s.
https://www.gordonsgin.com/en-gb/the-collection/gordons-00-alcohol-free/

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just saw an ad on TV for alcohol free Gordon's; the Queen Mum is turning in her grave.

New Gordon’s Alcohol Free 0.0%. Made using only the finest distilled botanicals, just like the original Gordon’s London Dry Gin, Gordon’s 0.0% provides the bold, juniper led character you’d expect from Gordon’s.
https://www.gordonsgin.com/en-gb/the-collection/gordons-00-alcohol-free/

Fucking hell, Gordon's is pretty minging as gin goes. The alcohol content is the only reason to drink it.

Are you saying the Queen’s Mother liked her Gin ?

Maybe that is why she lived until 101 because of the alcohol ?

101 proof.

Indeed! She liked Gordon's, Cork Dry Gin and Beefeaters.

How common, those are all decidedly average gins. Next you'll be saying she liked Lambrini, Blue Nun and Black Tower.