Royal News

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I sadly rather suspect that if she really is getting to the stage she cannot do stuff, (bearing in mind she has always been a very active person) she wont be long for this world.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Something I noticed at todays ceremony at the Cenotaph.
The place on the balcony that would have been occupied by HRH was instead occupied by Kate, Duchess of Cambridge.
Now, seeing as Prince Charles is heir to the throne, would it not have been more appropriate for Camilla to be stood there? As it was, Camilla was to one side.
I wonder if there is some sort of message we can deduce from that?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Something I noticed at todays ceremony at the Cenotaph.
The place on the balcony that would have been occupied by HRH was instead occupied by Kate, Duchess of Cambridge.
Now, seeing as Prince Charles is heir to the throne, would it not have been more appropriate for Camilla to be stood there? As it was, Camilla was to one side.
I wonder if there is some sort of message we can deduce from that?

Camilla is not a royal.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Camilla, as Duchess of Cornwall, is as much a royal as Kate, Duchess of Cambridge (if not more so cos Cornwall is a whole county whereas Cambridge is just a City)

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
The Queen won't die, she'll regenerate....

EhTn.gif

Trevp666

Reaction score
She's not Doctor Who.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Camilla, as Duchess of Cornwall, is as much a royal as Kate, Duchess of Cambridge (if not more so cos Cornwall is a whole county whereas Cambridge is just a City)

Cornwall? A bit like being Duchess of Cromer. The marriage between Charles and the Ugly Stepmother is morganatic: relating to or denoting a marriage in which neither the spouse of lower rank, nor any children, have any claim to the possessions or title of the spouse of higher rank.

Her title is totally honorific. Don't think there's much chance of any progeny resulting at this stage though.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
According to former Buckingham Palace spokesperson and author of On Duty with the Queen, Dickie Arbiter, Charles could choose another of his middle names to use as King. (...) he said: "He might choose one of his other names Philip, Arthur or George."

Now then....King Arthur would be fun.
Would he have to officially be Arthur II?

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Cornwall? A bit like being Duchess of Cromer. The marriage between Charles and the Ugly Stepmother is morganatic:
It is not "morganatic". There was a hoo hah at the time that people would "never accept Camilla as Queen" mainly from people who had not understood that the whole basis of the monarchy is that you don't get a choice. The rules of succession exist, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

There were never going to be any offspring of the marriage. Camilla was 57 at the time of the wedding and unlikely to be of child bearing age.

Assuming Charles ascends to the throne, Camilla will be Queen Consort and assuming he dies before her, she will become Queen Dowager. That's how it works whether the consort is the first or second spouse, and whether they are popular and attractive, or not.

The fact that some people do not like Camilla and the fact that, even in this day and age, some apparently still choose to define a woman by her looks, are irrelevant. If Charles' first marriage had continued and Diana had lived, she would in due course have become Queen Consort and then, on Charles' prior death, Queen Dowager: exactly the same.

It was never on the cards for either Diana or Camilla to become Queen Regnant — just as the late Queen Mother was "Queen Elizabeth" but not "the second", and became Queen Dowager and Queen Mother when her daughter ascended to the throne.

Personally, although not a royalist, I have a lot of respect for Camilla. I also think she looked radiant on her wedding day. Given a choice between being snowed in for a weekend in a pub with Diana or Camilla, I would choose Camilla every time because I bet she can hold an interesting conversation, is resourceful, and knows some dirty jokes.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
It is not "morganatic". There was a hoo hah at the time that people would "never accept Camilla as Queen" mainly from people who had not understood that the whole basis of the monarchy is that you don't get a choice. The rules of succession exist, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

There were never going to be any offspring of the marriage. Camilla was 57 at the time of the wedding and unlikely to be of child bearing age.

Assuming Charles ascends to the throne, Camilla will be Queen Consort and assuming he dies before her, she will become Queen Dowager. That's how it works whether the consort is the first or second spouse, and whether they are popular and attractive, or not.

The fact that some people do not like Camilla and the fact that, even in this day and age, some apparently still choose to define a woman by her looks, are irrelevant. If Charles' first marriage had continued and Diana had lived, she would in due course have become Queen Consort and then, on Charles' prior death, Queen Dowager: exactly the same.

It was never on the cards for either Diana or Camilla to become Queen Regnant — just as the late Queen Mother was "Queen Elizabeth" but not "the second", and became Queen Dowager and Queen Mother when her daughter ascended to the throne.

Personally, although not a royalist, I have a lot of respect for Camilla. I also think she looked radiant on her wedding day. Given a choice between being snowed in for a weekend in a pub with Diana or Camilla, I would choose Camilla every time because I bet she can hold an interesting conversation, is resourceful, and knows some dirty jokes.

I would prefer the company of Diana who campaigned against landmines and comforted those suffering from AIDs rather than go hunting to hounds like Camilla. I call her the Ugly Stepmother because Charles gave up Cinderella for her.

When Camilla dies I very doubt if there will any outpouring of mass grief.

Clarence House seem to disagree with you regarding Camilla's title, but what would they know?

Although Charles, the Prince of Wales, is the current heir to the throne, Camilla will not be Queen when he becomes King.

This is because if and when Charles becomes the King, Camilla will take on the role of ‘Princess Consort’.

A statement released by Clarence House in 2020 said: “The intention is for the Duchess to be known as Princess Consort when the Prince accedes to the throne.

“This was announced at the time of the marriage and there has been absolutely no change at all."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/camilla-wont-queen-could-overtaken-20585782

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I doubt she will get a manky film made of her and she wont be the cause of horrid outpourings of grief when she dies.

I like her

Spencer isn't a Manky film imho, have you seen it? The grief for Diana may have been OTT but it was genuine. Outside of the horsey set I doubt if many will mourn Camilla.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think the resentment against Camila was not because of her looks [EDIT: I guess some people used them as a point of resentment] , but simply because she was regarded as "The other woman."

But many realise that she does a lot for charity, carries herself as one would expect, and wish for, in attending her public duties, and has become part of the furniture.

I also do not think there will be large public outpouring of grief, more of a private acknowledgment from the public that there has been a changing of the guard.

Mentioned elsewhere on this Forum is the nephew of Andrew Parker Bowles, the savant musician Derek Paravicini.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Paravicini

Last edited:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I think the resentment against Camila was not because of her looks [EDIT: I guess some people used them as a point of resentment] , simply because she was regarded as "The other woman."

But many realise that she does a lot for charity, carries herself as one would expect, and wish for, in attending her public duties, and has become part of the furniture.

I also do not think there will be large public outpouring of grief, more of a private acknowledgment from the public that there has been a changing of the guard.

Mentioned elsewhere on this Forum is the nephew of Andrew Parker Bowles, the savant musician Derek Paravicini.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Paravicini
Friend's daughter spent some hours with Camilla at a function and she apparently came across as an intelligent, caring and personable woman, just "normal".

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Friend's daughter spent some hours with Camilla at a function and she apparently came across as an intelligent, caring and personable woman, just "normal".
The problem with Camilla is her and Charles should have been together from the start but that didn’t happen. But then if it did we wouldn’t have William who seems like someone with a good head on his shoulders.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
She will be in the tricky position of Phillip and Albert.

The sidekick.

I never saw Diana as setting tidily into that role.

Ascalon

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
At this stage, do you think Charles might pass the crown direct to William?
Is that possible?

Though for many this side of the pond, there are very negative connotations for a 'king billy' that have nothing to do with the current William.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is that possible?

Though for many this side of the pond, there are very negative connotations for a 'king billy' that have nothing to do with the current William.
He’s waited a long time I don’t think he will. He’s been planning what he’d do for a very long time. He won’t have much of a go now anyway.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that possible?

Why should he and why would William necessarily be known as King William?