Royal News

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
The Prince of Wales looks absolutely rocking here in his Scottish military uniform. He should be striding across a battlefield with a Webley in hand!
I can't help but be reminded of...
NeatOrdinaryBorzoi-max-1mb.gif

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not one of those medals or honours was hard-earned or anything special. They are either regular service awards that all military personnel get, commemorative tat or presents off his Mum.

Now as you'll know I'm no Royalist and am particularly disapproving of Prince Andrew.

However, Andrew did serve in the Falklands as a helicopter pilot, undertaking the same duties as other officers and actually, to use the technical phrase, getting shot at.
He was in personal danger while Charlie would have been cutting ribbons and sneaking round behind Diana's back to shag Camilla.

Andrew helped save many British servicemen's lives in the Falklands, both in rescue and evacuation missions and actual combat.
If he hadn't shown himself up so badly he'd've been a hundred times more worthy of laying the Cenotaph wreath instead of the Queen than Charles.

I bet there were sailors whom HRH helped drag from a watery grave thinking this about Andrew yesterday.
So- I remember when Andrew became president of the Royal Society, some scientists were unhappy about it. One saying ''what does he know about science? If I want to know what horse to bet on at the 4.30 at Newmarket, I'd ask the Royal family, for anything else, no''. Which I think was a tad unfair to be honest, as I would think Andrew had a very good education. And whether this scientist had ever actually achieved anything himself (as opposed to just repeating what he'd been taught), I don't know, but I think it was arrogant either way. (I think certainly part of his dislike for Anders was to do with his arms deals with the Saudis and others and his playboy image though).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So- I remember when Andrew became president of the Royal Society, some scientists were unhappy about it. One saying ''what does he know about science? If I want to know what horse to bet on at the 4.30 at Newmarket, I'd ask the Royal family, for anything else, no''. Which I think was a tad unfair to be honest, as I would think Andrew had a very good education. And whether this scientist had ever actually achieved anything himself (as opposed to just repeating what he'd been taught), I don't know, but I think it was arrogant either way. (I think certainly part of his dislike for Anders was to do with his arms deals with the Saudis and others and his playboy image though).
Come now, we all know Andrew was president of the Royal Society because his Mum is the queen, no other reason whatsoever, on the laughable basis that royal patronage enhances the standing of science. That appointment was not an achievement.

On the other'and if I were the mother of a sailor who'd been rescued from certain death in the South Atlantic by Andrew and his helicopter crew I'd have a soft spot for him.
It's a great story for the girls at bingo - 'And then 'e said Thanks lads! Fackin'ell it's cold! Er, yer 'ighness.' :wink2:
As a former military parent I can relate. He did well there.

Just following orders, doing his job. Should have stuck to what he was good at.

That's the best thing I can find to say about any of the royals so I've shot my bolt on the subject. :chuckle:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I was wondering if Edward saw any active service.
He joined the Royal Marines and embarked on training for the Commandos.
For 4 months before dropping out earning a ticking-off from Phil the Greek.
Then went into 'entertainment'.
Seems like quite a change.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I couldn't see old Randers doing the obstacle course, running up hills with full kit, sleeping in trenches on exercise in Winter, being in soaking wet clothes for hours, doing drill, washing and ironing his kit, doing pt, cleaning the dorm/toilets etc, being 'beasted' for infringements, eating the 'food', not being allowed out of barracks... let alone Edward. I'm not sure Eddie would even have the strength to lift a rifle.
I remember Philip once saying to a reporter ''Why don't you get a proper job like me?''

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

I think it's been discussed before but becoming an officer in the Royal Marines takes a lot more than the Navy, RAF or Army. They are effectively Special Forces.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Word is that certain 'active service' was seen. :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Phillip was mentioned in despatches.

As others have pointed out, Andrew saw combat.

Harry did too, also as a helicopter pilot..

William was a search and rescue pilot.

When one of them or both William/Harry were serving at RAF Valley (dunno, don't care) there'd be lots of helmet-wearing on the base because the trains run nearby, often quite slowly, and staff were conscious that photographers with long lenses might be looking for a nice shot of a handsome young HRH in uniform. If everyone wore helmets the prince couldn't be caught out.

The Prince/s would travel to and from London on the intercity trains, First Class of course, with a bodyguard or five.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Which I think was a tad unfair to be honest, as I would think Andrew had a very good education
Funny you should say. When I was a teen (Andrew is a bit older than I) he spent a year (not sure) attending a private school in Ontario. I do remember that, at that time he had the nickname Randy Andy. I see that the school has cut ties to him:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6205164/...eld-college-school-canadian-canoe-museum/amp/

Not entirely new news as the article was written in 2019.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
From what I remember Edward wasn't given an easy ride in the Marines/Commandos. During breathers between tasks, Officers would sometimes question the men on background knowledge, like who is the Commander-in-chief of .. (various regiments) ? Edward would immediately raise his hand but be cut off with "yes, it's mummy again isn't it."

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
From what I rememember Edward wasn't given an easy ride in the Marines/Commandos. During breathers between tasks, Officers would sometimes question the men on background knowledge, like who is the Commander-in-chief of .. (various regiments) ? Edward would immediately raise his hand but be cut off with "yes, it's mummy again isn't it."
Harsh. :rollingw:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
From what I rememember Edward wasn't given an easy ride in the Marines/Commandos. During breathers between tasks, Officers would sometimes question the men on background knowledge, like who is the Commander-in-chief of .. (various regiments) ? Edward would immediately raise his hand but be cut off with "yes, it's mummy again isn't it."
Not in the same class of banter but when William was a helicopter pilot he'd find Royal Wedding tea towels and mugs with his face on in the Mess.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Edward's leaving the Royal Marines was much more a failure of his advisors than himself.

One look at an early 20's Edward and nothing about him screams 'Marine".

He should have been put in an army logistics crops, with an involvement in the entertainment side of things too.

His older brothers had already shown they were up to more combative roles, so as someone fairly far down the pecking order of ever actually having to be Monarch, he should have been given more leeway to be himself.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Funny you should say. When I was a teen (Andrew is a bit older than I) he spent a year (not sure) attending a private school in Ontario. I do remember that, at that time he had the nickname Randy Andy. I see that the school has cut ties to him:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6205164/...eld-college-school-canadian-canoe-museum/amp/

Not entirely new news as the article was written in 2019.
My parents had friends whose son was in the same year as Andrew at Lakefield. Apparently he and Andrew were quite chummy and I recall that the son was invited to Andrew's wedding to Sarah Ferguson. The son always struck me as being full of himself so perhaps he was in good company.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Edward's leaving the Royal Marines was much more a failure of his advisors than himself.

One look at an early 20's Edward and nothing about him screams 'Marine".

He should have been put in an army logistics crops, with an involvement in the entertainment side of things too.

His older brothers had already shown they were up to more combative roles, so as someone fairly far down the pecking order of ever actually having to be Monarch, he should have been given more leeway to be himself.
I remember this unfortunate episode very well indeed.
As you say, it was obvious that Edward was not soldier material. One had the impression that Marine service was chosen to man him up.
This might also have been intended to deal with rumours about his sexuality.

If he had to join up, logistics/entertainment would certainly have been more suitable.

However, at the time It Ain't Half Hot, Mum was still being repeated on TV, portraying certain military concert party members as effeminate or highly-educated stereotypes.

The tabloids would have quoted the show to make mincemeat of the hapless prince; one day he'd be the posh Mister La-De-Dah Gunner Graham, next they'd compare him to Bombardier 'Gloria' Beaumont.
What a nightmare for the image of the royals. :chuckle:

Edward has long settled into a noble career of ribbon-cutting and hand-shaking, military glories long behind him. :cool:

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Queen was looking great as she meet in person retiring Chief of the Defence, Nick Carter.

A handsome man in uniform made the Queen all smiles.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The Queen was looking great as she meet in person retiring Chief of the Defence, Nick Carter.

A handsome man in uniform made the Queen all smiles.
Have you seen The Crown? I'm no royalist but I loved it. :cool:
Seeing 'er Maj on TV at teatime reminded me of that.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Over the years I have only seen a few episodes of the Crown.

My take is what they call the “ firm “ running the Royals is that tradition is the only thing that matters, not people.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Edward has long settled into a noble career of ribbon-cutting and hand-shaking, military glories long behind him. :cool:
He has worked hard doing what he does, lots of charity stuff and a genuine theatrical interest.

Yes the papers would have tried to make him a laughing stock, but a few well placed interviews would have endeared him people and done something to reduce the "Slightly stuffy" image the Royals had at that time.

Sogna

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Cornwall? A bit like being Duchess of Cromer. The marriage between Charles and the Ugly Stepmother is morganatic: relating to or denoting a marriage in which neither the spouse of lower rank, nor any children, have any claim to the possessions or title of the spouse of higher rank.

Her title is totally honorific. Don't think there's much chance of any progeny resulting at this stage though.
On what basis do you say that? There’s no such thing as morganatic marriage in UK law. When it was suggested during the abdication crisis there would have to have been legislation passed. She might not use her husband’s primary title but she is the Princess of Wales and there’s no reason why she won’t be Queen when he is king.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
On what basis do you say that? There’s no such thing as morganatic marriage in UK law. When it was suggested during the abdication crisis there would have to have been legislation passed. She might not use her husband’s primary title but she is the Princess of Wales and there’s no reason why she won’t be Queen when he is king.

See posts above. She won't be Queen.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Over the years I have only seen a few episodes of the Crown.

My take is what they call the “ firm “ running the Royals is that tradition is the only thing that matters, not people.

Yup, 'The Crown' is the institution of the monarchy. The Queen is shown putting it first every time.

Well, she would, wouldn't she! :wink2:

If you can watch it in order I do recommend it. Being of an age to remember everything that's depicted from the mid-60s onwards I found it fascinating.

Lord Snowdon was always of interest to me - Welsh, artistic, a bit of a rogue! - and he is stunningly portrayed by Matthew Goode and Ben Daniels.

Had to watch the Aberfan episode alone, expecting to snivel, and was reminded of how Snowdon travelled over there to lend a hand.
He did that spontaneously while the Queen held back on visiting in case her presence was a distraction for the rescuers and workers.

Snowdon is buried in a churchyard I've visited, as a child and later with my own children, near where some of my family came from.
A bleak and windswept place. :cool:
That's Wales for you.

Edit - here's a link to the church on Google Earth. You have to zoom right in to the trees on the horizon.

St Baglan's Church, Llanfaglan

Dragged Techy along there on the bikes a year or two ago. :)

Last edited: