• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Runes & Runic Languages

A

Anonymous

The mayans were not the first to create written language. Scientific evidence has shown that Runes, or the Elther Futhark (I dont know if thats the correct spelling) was the first and oldest form of language. It is still used today to create magic books and scripts.

Runic was used all throuought the world. Evidence has surfaced in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the lower reigons of the Arctic. Even before runic there were pictographs. Not written language as we know it, but pictures that told a story or conveyd a message

Mmmm.....possibly, they look more like pictographs to me. But we have to remember that runes changed from culture to culture, there WAS one central set, the Elther Futhark (Im butchering the spelling I know). So those could be runes just in a different style. Information on runes http://www.ipcc.com/market/newage/runes.htm

The runes are an alphabet system that was first developed in the early years AD. Each rune has a letter-sound, and can therefore be used for writing - each also has a meaning, enabling them to be used for divination. they are tied deeply to the concept of Wyrd, which loosley means fate (although not necessarily deterministic).

This site http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/ contains some info. If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try and supply answers...

Galloway Viking-age treasure: Egbert revealed as name of one owner
Examination of Anglo-Saxon runic inscriptions on silver arm-rings has revealed the name Ecgbeorht.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49905258

Addendum

"Yet these runes are not of the familiar Scandinavian variety common around this date on the nearby Isle of Man, but of a distinctively Anglo-Saxon type."

Reading runes... wish there had been more details about this.

I've always felt a special affinity for (the) Runes. When I was a kid I grew up wandering local forests and passing notes encrypted in runes in to classmates in the 4th grade, having discovered the runes in a dictionary. I find the Icelandic Galdrabok to be absolutely fascinating, and I hope similar books will be found and published.
I can see some kind of initiatory thing back in the day where folks are tripping and bound to a tree trunk or something. The branches superimposed over each other and the drugs showing the way to the runes as one would sacrifice oneself to the tree kinda thing. Of course Spare's Alphabet of Desire is kind of a bind rune type of system. I like the idea of creating one's own runes that comprise the forces of the universe --that could be a grade requirement in a magical system. I like this guy's work a LOT because it is beautiful:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreeSeer?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=960277404
He has a book I'm going to buy too.

Looking at some of the bind runes in the Galdrabok, it seems that many are composed like ships or longhouses, and were meant to function like little machines or conveyor belts of events, running reality through a series of events as one progresses through the runic "ship" or "longhouse", of the bind rune. Sometimes there evens seems to be a runic "steering oar" that projects from some bind runes. As one gets used to looking at them, one can see what the original creator was trying to be up to. I actually have a bit of Danish ancestry --on my mother's side. We used to go to the Scandinavian Festival in Junction City when I was a kid:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sca...k_DREQ_AUoA3oECAYQBQ&biw=1280&bih=610&dpr=1.5

Last edited:
Now, you are not understanding.

Runes are magical because they convey information, process it, store it.

No different to any other script.

The magic is the medium, not the message.

I will have make one of those now.
Now, you are not understanding.

Runes are magical because they convey information, process it, store it.

No different to any other script.

The magic is the medium, not the message.
Sure they do, as do the signs in other magical systems as well. However if you would want the runes to perform something for you --that is a series of events resulting in the desired outcome; the bindrune is not going to be a static thing, but alive. With a function to perform Like a weapon, or ship; in fact in one account the rune magician carved the runes on a piece of wood and set it out to sea (to metaphorically sail to the victim, one would presume). Runes were also graven on weapons, as you know.

Last edited:
Funny thing; a lot of the runes and bindrunes over at Lilly's store:
like the one on the item below, are identical or nearly so to a system of runes I created to describe Hindu seed mantras.
il_1588xN.2941627373_4rut.jpg

Not the oldest Runes, rather the oldest Runestone found to date.

Archaeologists in Norway have found what they claim is the world’s oldest runestone, saying the inscriptions are up to 2,000 years old and date back to the earliest days of the enigmatic history of runic writing.

The flat, square block of brownish sandstone has carved scribbles, which may be the earliest example of words recorded in writing in Scandinavia, the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo said.

It said it was “among the oldest runic inscriptions ever found” and “the oldest datable runestone in the world”.

“This find will give us a lot of knowledge about the use of runes in the early iron age. This may be one of the first attempts to use runes in Norway and Scandinavia on stone,” said Kristel Zilmer, a professor at the University of Oslo, of which the museum is part.

Older runes have been found on other items, but not on stone. The earliest runic find is on a bone comb found in Denmark. Zilmer said that maybe the tip of a knife or a needle was used to carve the runes.

The Rök stone in Sweden bears the longest runic inscription in the world
Viking runestone may allude to extreme winter, study says

The runestone was discovered in late 2021 during an excavation of a grave near Tyrifjord, west of Oslo, in a region known for several monumental archaeological finds. Items in the cremation pit – burned bones and charcoal – indicate that the runes were likely inscribed between AD1 and AD250.

“We needed time to analyse and date the runestone,” she said to explain why the finding was first announced on Tuesday.

Measuring 31cm by 32cm (12.2in by 12.6in), the stone has several types of inscriptions and not all make linguistic sense. Eight runes on the front of the stone read “idiberug” – which could be the name of a woman, a man or a family.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-runestone-found-in-norway-archaeologists-say

My Anglo-Friesian runic keyboard overlays have arrived at last...
Screenshot_20230214_220634_Gallery.jpg

I had expected the underlying keycaps to be fully-obscured by the runes, but annoyingly the Roman letters are still visible.

Screenshot_20230214_220642_Gallery.jpg

Maybe I'll just make a proper set myself from scratch.

View attachment 63406

I had expected the underlying keycaps to be fully-obscured by the runes, but annoyingly the Roman letters are still visible.

View attachment 63407

I used to use Junicode for its runic font on Windows but now am on a Mac can download it but can't seem to get it to run. (Or rune?) Despite having Adobe, can't seem to find a decent runic font I can use at all on this laptop. Owt I have found looks like it's runes in comic sans. And nobody's gonna have the full Northumbrian runes - maybe just the standard futharc.

Annoying because I do, weirdly, need it.

Last edited:
Not the oldest Runes, rather the oldest Runestone found to date.

Archaeologists in Norway have found what they claim is the world’s oldest runestone, saying the inscriptions are up to 2,000 years old and date back to the earliest days of the enigmatic history of runic writing.

The flat, square block of brownish sandstone has carved scribbles, which may be the earliest example of words recorded in writing in Scandinavia, the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo said.

It said it was “among the oldest runic inscriptions ever found” and “the oldest datable runestone in the world”.

“This find will give us a lot of knowledge about the use of runes in the early iron age. This may be one of the first attempts to use runes in Norway and Scandinavia on stone,” said Kristel Zilmer, a professor at the University of Oslo, of which the museum is part.

Older runes have been found on other items, but not on stone. The earliest runic find is on a bone comb found in Denmark. Zilmer said that maybe the tip of a knife or a needle was used to carve the runes.

The Rök stone in Sweden bears the longest runic inscription in the world
Viking runestone may allude to extreme winter, study says
The runestone was discovered in late 2021 during an excavation of a grave near Tyrifjord, west of Oslo, in a region known for several monumental archaeological finds. Items in the cremation pit – burned bones and charcoal – indicate that the runes were likely inscribed between AD1 and AD250.

“We needed time to analyse and date the runestone,” she said to explain why the finding was first announced on Tuesday.

Measuring 31cm by 32cm (12.2in by 12.6in), the stone has several types of inscriptions and not all make linguistic sense. Eight runes on the front of the stone read “idiberug” – which could be the name of a woman, a man or a family.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-runestone-found-in-norway-archaeologists-say
That's the weirdest "B" rune I've ever seen - on that link - also, I'm not sure runes are that old as apart from that one, they're all the same as you'd expect 1000 years later. All my rune books are downstairs so can't go look, now.

That's the weirdest "B" rune I've ever seen
Very! Might it be a double-b, such that it possibly reads as 'IDIBBERUG' ?

Wow! I just searched using "idiberug" (which I read directly from the runes myself, without cheating, and then searched using www.dogpile.com) and I immediately found this: https://www.euronews.com/culture/20...eologists-uncover-the-worlds-oldest-runestone

Screenshot 2023-02-15 223738.jpg

(EDIT - dammit, they give that name/word in the text of the original reference.... :-/ )

View attachment 63406

View attachment 63407

Nice!
The fairly subtle difference between the runic G and N did concern me a bit as, when I celebrated the end of lockdown with getting a tattoo featuring my name in runes (Elder Futhark), I first thought he had got it wrong, but then spotted the slight slant to the N rune.

Very! Might it be a double-b, such that it possibly reads as 'IDIBBERUG' ?

Wow! I just searched using "idiberug" (which I read directly from the runes myself, without cheating, and then searched using www.dogpile.com) and I immediately found this: https://www.euronews.com/culture/20...eologists-uncover-the-worlds-oldest-runestone

View attachment 63454

(EDIT - dammit, they give that name/word in the text of the original reference.... :-/ )
Ah is a double letter a thing? I know it's not so much in some languages til later. That would surely at those dates be some sort of proto old Germanic, or summat? Thanks for the link, it's really interesting. Going on the carbon dating of "nearby" bones would add to my suspicion that this inscription is much later - how can they tie this particular stone in with those particular bones? Stone could be a discard or some later burial also "nearby" on the same site..?

But it looks like summat you'd expect almost 1000 years after the carbon dating dates - that said, am yet again upstairs with all my books downstairs so can't go and look at the earliest known inscriptions to see when we think those rune forms emerged. That name though, looks like nothing I can think of from the later date...

Where they're nonsensical the odds are it could be a charm or spell (or mundane sentence) and just the initial letter of each word of that sentence - which is why some remain so cryptic. So whilst it's likely a name, I wouldn't abandon the idea it's not just that, given that the name doesn't seem to have any recognisable elements - that said, we can't know much about names from so early a date.

One example of runes still in everyday use is, of course, the Bluetooth symbol.
It combines the Hagall (H) and Bjarkan (B) runes - the initials of Danish king Harald Bluetooth, famed for his great oratory skills and for spreading the word of Christianity throughout Denmark in the 10th century.

gbLTvwqmqfUF3uGGqf2sUd-1200-80.jpg

Back