• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Russian Disinformation Campaigns: The Ancient Art Of Subversive Trolling

How much fact checking do you engage in when forming an opinion?

• Where is the fun in checking facts? I love spreading outrageous stories based on spurious evidence.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't really have the time or the inclination to fact check. I expect journalists to be honest.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If I read something unusual I make a point of following it up because I am curious.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I am pretty skeptical of what I read. I seldom fact check beyond Snopes or similar sites though

• I will not dismiss an odd story out of hand, but I do demand solid proof before I accept it.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I am a bulldog with a bone when it comes to fact checking. I love it.

• My fact checking has begun to correlate all the contents and revealed troubling cosmic vistas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This chap's name keeps on popping up in the current U.S. culture war. I take the whole claim with a pinch of salt.

It's the same with the Chinese and Koreans who have crossed to the other side of the hill:

A) They tend to become not merely capitalists, but fervent anti-communist zealots, content to spread whatever embellished and exaggerated facts massage the egos of their new bedfellows.

B) They have a vested interest in promoting narratives that play into dominant domestic debates (in order to increase their own relevance) and portray their erstwhile comrades as far more foresighted and insightful that they really are (in order to increase their own value and boost their chances of employment).

C) Claims about secret programmes and operations are inherently hard to verify; such defectors, therefore, enjoy a good deal of leeway in tailoring bespoke 'facts' for their new customers.

Some of the claims of Yeonmi Park (박연미), for instance, are absurd—actually laughable in places—but the U.S. right wing laps them up as wish fullfillment on a spuriously authentic platter.
I see and accept your points. But I find it very plausible that some version of this is going on. My exhibit A is:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...es?from_search=true&from_srp=DLHjwjgXn1&qid=1

There must be PsyOps going on. But I agree that social influencing is not as predictable as Asimovs Foundation.

Exhibit B in your favour is the failure of Israel to massively sway public opinion, though they must be trying vigorously. Exhibit C in your favour is QAnon, which was totally unmanaged.

Back