• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ruthenium: Possibly The Strangest Metal In The World

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
This is interesting- I knew nothing whatsoever about the rare associate of Platinum, Ruthenium (nor even the origins of its name, commemorating Russia and the Urals, where it was first discovered).

Intriging: and there are clearly going to be other applications for it, awaiting discovery

This is interesting- I knew nothing whatsoever about the rare associate of Platinum, Ruthenium (nor even the origins of its name, commemorating Russia and the Urals, where it was first discovered).

Intriging: and there are clearly going to be other applications for it, awaiting discovery
Many precious metals (i.e.: Ruthenium) and rare earths are used in the modern electronics industry. Interesting that it seems to dissolve in water but not in the strongest acids.

Many precious metals (i.e.: Ruthenium) and rare earths are used in the modern electronics industry
Jim, I'm sure both you and I are familiar with gold-flashed 0.1" pitch PCB edge-connectors, and platinum or phosphor-bronze coated jack-pin plating and switch-contacts coating (all to present corrosion-free smooth mate:make:break low-resistance connections).

However, the video author specifically cites the use of ruthenium plating on eg high-end 3.5mm 1/8th inch & quarter-inch audio jacks. I'm going to doubt this, for the reason you state (ie reactivity with water) but also, why on earth would it be used as a facing plate coating if there are concerns about it being a potential carcinogen?

I suspect both you and I will have been exposed over the decades to somewhat more than the median exposure for lead:tin alloys (solder), mercury and mercuric compounds (wetted switches/relays), beryllium (heatsinks), germanium/silicon (transistors/gates/diodes/all semiconductors), all in addition to a background 'soup' of polychlorinates/potting resins/flux-paste/lubricants etc.

(And in my case, originally, also wet lab chemical reagents and biochemical/microbial elements....and, for both of us at one time I'm sure, plenty of exposure to stong local fields of radiofrequency non-ionizing radiation).

I occasionally ponder about Sheldon's claim that he was "just one lab accident short of becoming a superhero". I'm going to guess @Jim that you and I passed that point maybe quarter of a century ago.

So what's your superpower? I doubt whether the liminal chemotherapy/radiotherapy that I've been exposed to for over half a century has actually done me any actual good....but it would be nice to fantasise that this, somehow, was the case.

EDIT
I forgot all the radioactive sources I've handled....various high-count Uranium and Americium samples. Oh, also tritium / similar dials and vials

Last edited:
Jim, I'm sure both you and I are familiar with gold-flashed 0.1" pitch PCB edge-connectors, and platinum or phosphor-bronze coated jack-pin plating and switch-contacts coating (all to present corrosion-free smooth mate:make:break low-resistance connections).

However, the video author specifically cites the use of ruthenium plating on eg high-end 3.5mm 1/8th inch & quarter-inch audio jacks. I'm going to doubt this, for the reason you state (ie reactivity with water) but also, why on earth would it be used as a facing plate coating if there are concerns about it being a potential carcinogen?

I suspect both you and I will have been exposed over the decades to somewhat more than the median exposure for lead:tin alloys (solder), mercury and mercuric compounds (wetted switches/relays), beryllium (heatsinks), germanium/silicon (transistors/gates/diodes/all semiconductors), all in addition to a background 'soup' of polychlorinates/potting resins/flux-paste/lubricants etc.

(And in my case, originally, also wet lab chemical reagents and biochemical/microbial elements....and, for both of us at one time I'm sure, plenty of exposure to stong local fields of radiofrequency non-ionizing radiation).

I occasionally ponder about Sheldon's claim that he was "just one lab accident short of becoming a superhero". I'm going to guess @Jim that you and I passed that point maybe quarter of a century ago.

So what's your superpower? I doubt whether the liminal chemotherapy/radiotherapy that I've been exposed to for over half a century has actually done me any actual good....but it would be nice to fantasise that this, somehow, was the case.

EDIT
I forgot all the radioactive sources I've handled....various high-count Uranium and Americium samples. Oh, also tritium / similar dials and vials
Hi Ermintruder, I like one lab accident away from being a superhero (not). Sure enough have been throw around by a few KV and been exposed to high RF and EMs. Although spent my last > 15 on receivers so this went away. Seen a chap get a nasty RF burn one time. Interesting about the coating not being used due to the water issue.

EDIT
I've been exposed to a few of those.
My superpowers are being fat and farting a lot.

I've been exposed to a few of those.
My superpowers are being fat and farting a lot.
So being gassy is now a superpower. My teenage son got a can of "Liquid Ass" and yes it can be considered a lethal weapon. That won't be happening again.

Back