• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Saint George: Not Only England, But Also....

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Happy Saint George's day!

He is also the patron saint of Ethiopa, Georgia, Malta, Gozo, the regions of Aragon and Catalonia (Spain) and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. And according to a Portuguese friend of mine:

"The castle here in Lisbon is also named after him. At one time, Spain occupied Portugal so when the Portuguese managed to get rid of them they did not want to have the same Patron Saint. Since the English were their allies, the King chose St George." [now the Portuguese have a different patron saint]

[Icon of Saint George in a church in Lalibela, Ethiopia , wikimedia commons]

So any time someone gobs off about the flag of St George, I can truthfully retort "do you have a problem with Ethiopians or the Maltese?"

Happy Saint George's day!

He is also the patron saint of Ethiopa, Georgia, Malta, Gozo, the regions of Aragon and Catalonia (Spain) and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. And according to a Portuguese friend of mine:

"The castle here in Lisbon is also named after him. At one time, Spain occupied Portugal so when the Portuguese managed to get rid of them they did not want to have the same Patron Saint. Since the English were their allies, the King chose St George." [now the Portuguese have a different patron saint]

[Icon of Saint George in a church in Lalibela, Ethiopia , wikimedia commons]

So any time someone gobs off about the flag of St George, I can truthfully retort "do you have a problem with Ethiopians or the Maltese?"

Here he is slaying the dragon.

trotsky-slaying-the-dragon-1918.jpeg

that makes it even better. Do you know what is written on the dragon?

thank you. It gets better and better!

Saint George is the Patron Saint of Moscow. His image appears on the city's coat of arms which is a familiar sight on flags and banners around the city:

2000px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Moscow.svg.png
His image also appears on the Kopeck - (the smallest coin in their currency - roughly a half pence).

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the paper today, st George's Day is actually on the 29th this year in England so it doesn't clash with Easter. Though I thought the CofE had done away with the glorified ancestor worship that is saint cults.

Though I thought the CofE had done away with the glorified ancestor worship that is saint cults.

Fortunately the Anglican Communion is a broad church deliberately so that it can be home to many shades of practice.

Disclaimer: not an Anglican (anymore)

a half pence
<pedantic rage>A half pence?! I think you'll find it's a half penny!</pedantic rage>
And, although the rage has dimmed, the pedantry still flares: by my Google's reckoning, one kopeck equals £0.00012. I'd have a word with your regular currency exchanger if I was you.

It is :) very definitely!

err.... that's Leon Trotsky, isn't it?
"Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky
He had an ice pick
up his botski
"

(Rick Mayall/Ben Elton to the tune of No More Heroes by The Stranglers)

Back