• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Samhain

jubecrew

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
trick or treat
no thanks candy I'm already sweet
I'll just have a drink of that ol barley or wheat
probably get pissed and fall off of my barstool seat

:D

What's everyones plans for this year?

Always my favourite time of year. I'm going to some kind of party, to see a friend's band play, so nothing too exciting.

we're doing a zombie infection at work
other then that I think I'll have some beers and hand out some candy to children

I watched a program last night about Halloween houses where people were / have been investing 2 grand to 8 grand worth of decorations, outfits and stuff for their houses, they almost looked like haunted houses that you walk through and have people jump out and scream at you !

Some celebrations will go ahead. Christians, Jews and Muslims will be sacrificed to appease The Morrigan.

Halloween may not be celebrated in its traditional sense this year but the festival of Samhain will still be marked with a very special spectacle.

The ancient tradition of lighting the new fires for the Celtic new year on the Hill of Ward in Co Meath will be recreated by the Púca Festival in a pre-recorded stream on Facebook. Organisers are encouraging people to light a Jack O’Lantern and enjoy a quiet moment after a difficult time as the country progresses through Level 5 of the coronavirus restrictions.

The five ancient provinces of Ireland will be represented and symbolically reunited in flame on Halloween night this Saturday by a contemporary reimagining of the Samhain Fires, designed by the Street Theatre Company Luxe. Music and poetry by Irish artists will add to the event and the iconic lighting of the Samhain fires caps off an ethereal night of authentic Halloween magic.

Organised by Fáilte Ireland, the Púca Festival aims to shine a light on the Celtic tradition of Samhain. Marking the end of the harvest season, when all the crops have been picked and stored for the “New Year,” Samhain identified the year end in ancient Celtic times and was a time of celebration. ...

Broadcast at 8pm on Saturday night this Halloween, people can watch the spectacular torch-lit procession from the Hill of Ward in the comforts of their own home by logging on here.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40073189.html

Ancient stone figures of power to be moved as part of Samhain ritual:

stones.JPG

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...-stone-figures-gaelic-winter-ritual-cailleach

I read that the festivals of Samhain, Beltain etc last from sunset to sunset. Last year I cycled to a place of nature on the edge of the city to view the sunset and plant a metaphorical seed of something I wanted to grow within myself.

Yesterday I focussed on what I needed to get me through till Beltane (I don't ask for anything, I find a mantra that directs my mind to attract the energy) I also pulled out a tarot card to be a mandala as part of the meditation. Returned to the aforementioned place for sunset and focussed. I shall return at sunset tonight to close the circle and release the focus.

For me it has the effect of strengthening mindfulness. Bit of a buzzword, but for me it fits.

Enjoy Samhain, it's not over yet :boozing: :party::yay::hspin::hapdan::skull:

Intense debate on Cerys Matthews' radio show this morning about how to pronounce Samhain. Some said it was "Sa-win", others "Sa-wain", but nobody pronounces it phonetically.

Intense debate on Cerys Matthews' radio show this morning about how to pronounce Samhain. Some said it was "Sa-win", others "Sa-wain", but nobody pronounces it phonetically.

As a mebyon kernow, I gather that the Cornish pronunciation is sa-win.
But, as with all celtic languages, the pronunciation is always significantly divorced from the spelling (which I suppose ought to be in some runic or ogham script).

As a mebyon kernow, I gather that the Cornish pronunciation is sa-win.
But, as with all celtic languages, the pronunciation is always significantly divorced from the spelling (which I suppose ought to be in some runic or ogham script).
It seems to me that since the words originated in Celtic script, they should use a phonetic spelling (to make it easy to learn). Whoever came up with the Celtic translation to Western lettering (Latin alphabet) needs to have their grave danced upon.

It seems to me that since the words originated in Celtic script, they should use a phonetic spelling (to make it easy to learn). Whoever came up with the Celtic translation to Western lettering (Latin alphabet) needs to have their grave danced upon.

I pronounce it sow-in. That's Munster dialect Gaeilge.

Back