• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sarah Jane Adventures - starts New Years Day

Yeah, fun is the word for it. I'm completely out of touch with kids TV now, but if SJA is representative then maybe it's not as bad as has been painted, even if it is being less invested in.

Just noticed on that post above I said that it's on BBC2 - it's not! It's on BBC1!

This was back today, and started with a fun episode where Sarah Jane was possessed and the Judoon returned. Well, one of them did, but we're promised more on the way. Next part tomorrow, don't forget.

Thanks for reminding me about this, had been waiting for it to come back on but the bbc website hadn't been too forthcoming with a date.

Cracking good fun! :D

It is, isn't it? Bright and funny, and Elisabeth Sladen's evil possessed act this week looked like she was having a whale of a time!

Great episode of this today, not only is K9 back but David Tennant's in it next week.

This week's story was a hugely positive story, not to mention being enormous fun and quite touching at points. It's a great series and the sort of kids drama that Nu-Who gets a bit wrong at times. I really can't wait to see how they'll treat Tennant's Doctor next week.

Another great episode, I always though Nigel Havers was too good to be true. And The Doctor is here to save the day! I think this is the best series so far.

Nice to see the characters looking both ways before crossing the street, too. They don't do that in grown up TV.

As Denis Norden would have said, you can file this one under "guilty pleasures". I really shouldn't be watching kids' TV on my day off, but 25 minutes spent in the company of the strangely lovely Miss Sladen* is hard to resist. On top of that, the stories are good, too. OK, so it's even sillier than Dr Who at times, but everything on TV doesn't have to be bloody Eastenders, after all.

*I still have trouble believing that she's 61. I mean, she's old enough to be my mother, but even so... I'd better stop, before I incriminate myself, but I'm sure you knowing where I'm coming from.

Usually, it's basically old-format Doctor Who, with Sarah Jane playing the Doctor. Now that the Doctor has turned up and Sarah Jane is in peril, it's basically old-format Doctor Who, full stop!

Quite takes me back, 35 years, or so! :lol:

...and surprisingly emotional at its finale.

Next week...ghosts, stately houses and EMF readings that are off the scale!!!! :shock:

Back for a new series this week, it's already been on the CBBC channel (part 2 tomorrow), but it's on proper TV (BBC 2) on Wednesday and Thursday. Looks like Luke might be getting the boot like Maria did (remember her?).

Matt Smith is due to be on it this series.

Hey, a Pyramids of Mars reference tonight! Cool!

Not only was Matt Smith in tonight's episode, it was written by Russell T. Davies and co-starred Katy Manning, Jo Grant herself! She was looking, er, older, but no less sprightly and daffy, although the baddies were using the power of nostalgia as their weapon, a case of having your cake and eating it if ever there was one.

It's repeated on Wednesday on BBC One, and jolly good fun it is too.

gncxx said:
Not only was Matt Smith in tonight's episode, it was written by Russell T. Davies and co-starred Katy Manning, Jo Grant herself! She was looking, er, older, but no less sprightly and daffy, although the baddies were using the power of nostalgia as their weapon, a case of having your cake and eating it if ever there was one.

It's repeated on Wednesday on BBC One, and jolly good fun it is too.

Hear, hear !
Just watched it myself and it's a must see if you're a fan of the Doc's. Bloody brilliant !

Part 2 was great as well, nice little bit about what happened to some of the other companions at the end too.

With a title like Goodbye Sarah Jane I was worried this week's would be the last story ever, but they did say at the end they'll be back next year. Quite an emotional one, with SJ thinking she was going senile and Clyde thinking he was dying, but it was all fine in the end. Here's hoping they sustain the quality for a while to come.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the DW thread, but I think it fits better here. As a late Christmas present, I got the double DVD of K-9 Tales which features the infamous K-9 and Company, really the predecessor to The Sarah Jane Adventures.

The ridiculous title sequence is the most familiar thing about it, but I wondered what the rest was like so watched it 29 years to the day I first saw it on the BBC. I can see why they didn't spin off a series from it, the box says that it was internal politics that meant that never happened, but there wasn't much to be done with what they came up with in this pilot.

Looks like K-9 and Sarah Jane would have combatted Satanists every week, that's what they do in this one anyway. It's telling that the robot dog didn't need to be in it and the end result would have been almost the same. Nice kung fu from SJ, though. Now I can't get the stoopid theme tune out of my head.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx3tXw7TU58

You think that was bad?

You may recall there was a dispute over copyright with K9, which kept him out of most of the first season or so of Sarah Jane Adventures. This is why.

Although K9 himself bears little similarity to the one we're used to, and I haven't seen it so I have no idea how it's supposed to relate to the rest of the universe.

That's been showing in the mornings on Channel 5 here during the festive season, although like you I haven't plucked up the courage to see what it's like. Is John Leeson even doing the voice?

Good to see. Any idea of how many episodes there will be?

Just checked Gallifrey Base, as far as I can tell there are 3 stories that were completed, Sky, Curse of Clyde Langer and The Man Who Wasn't There, so i guess 6 episodes instead of the usual 12.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Just checked Gallifrey Base, as far as I can tell there are 3 stories that were completed, Sky, Curse of Clyde Langer and The Man Who Wasn't There, so i guess 6 episodes instead of the usual 12.

That's right enough, I checked my TV's programme guide later on and it said the first ep was one of six. Can't help but wonder what the last one's going to be like, might be quite emotional.

Looks like we were introduced to a new regular, just as the series was unavoidably cancelled which was a shame for the new actress. Anyway, the quality was sustained this week, and didn't Elisabeth Sladen look well, ironically.

Looks like Elisabeth Sladen is going to go out like a trooper.

A starship trooper, obviously. :)

Might have to iplayer that over the weekend.

If I watch it right now i'm probably going to :cry: my eyes out.

This week's was one of the best they've ever done, really engrossing, exciting and even moving. Top marks all round.

gncxx said:
This week's was one of the best they've ever done, really engrossing, exciting and even moving. Top marks all round.
If you mean, the curse of Clyde Langer, two parter, then I have to agree. It was brilliant. One of the best pieces of kids, or adults, TV, I've seen in a long time. Everybody acted their socks off. Daniel Anthony, who plays Clyde, was v.good, indeed.

:yeay:

Back