• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

linesmachine

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Through some research I was doing for Paranormal Camping I stumbled on an interesting map that has been put together by cartographer Joshua Stevens. I won't explain anymore about it here but rather let you either read my news post about it (which contains all the links etc) http://www.paranormalcamping.com/news.html

Or if you'd rather go straight back to the original piece the link is http://www.joshuastevens.net/visual...-years-of-bigfoot-sightings-in-us-and-canada/

Really interesting stuff.

From the original page: "After all, you would expect sightings to be the most frequent in areas where there are a lot of people." No, you wouldn't expect that, otherwise you'd expect New York City to be a hotbed of sightings. You'd expect the chart to be some cross of their population density with that of humans (some for of the bivariate view, which he also shows). A mathematician might even be able to work backwards from that sightings chart and a map of the human population density to work out some sort of population density chart for sasquatch.

@kamalktk: Regarding your comment about NYC, I totally agree. If you read my (somewhat relaxed!) review on this piece then you'll see I echo your thoughts. However, after speaking to a statistical mathematician (admitedly a friend of mine) who works with National Health Service data I have been informed that bivariate statistical analysis almost always begins by comparing the initial data (in this case Sasquatch sitings by US geography) against population. According to my friend you almost can't start anywhere other than this otherwise your findings will be pulled back to this statistical set as a sort of ignorance to the art of population statistics....

My question to Joshua is...wouldn't you then go on to more relevant bivariate anaylsis with more appropriate comparisons?

Back