• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Satan banished' From Devil's Lake (North Dakota)

A

Anonymous

DEVILS LAKE, North Dakota (AP) -- Satan has been banished from Devils Lake.

High school teams here no longer will be known as the Satans, the school's nickname for nearly 80 years.

The school board unanimously voted Monday night to immediately drop the nickname and mascot and start the process of finding a new name to represent its athletic teams.

The 5-0 vote brought applause, hugs and a few tears of joy from an audience that favored change.

"It's hard to stand up and cheer for the Satans," said Kellie Karlstad, a parent of three and the junior varsity girls basketball coach. "It's not an appropriate name for children."

Supporters of the change said the Satans nickname had brought division and a negative image.

"As far as finding one positive for keeping the nickname, I can't," board member Julie Schemionek said. "I believe in tradition. But sometimes, traditions need to be changed."

School Board Chairman Kevin Regan, a Devils Lake alumnus and athlete, said he had not been bothered by the nickname.

"I always thought it was a natural fit that the mascot for Devils Lake would be Satans," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/22/satans.no.more/index.html

and they kept it for 80 years! wow! i'd love to see the cheerleaders outfits and cheers: "GO SATAN GO!"

I guess Man Utd will have to change their nickname now!

(The Red Devils, I believe!)

devils lake

The us marine corps has a program for kids (a sort of camp boy scout style) called the "devil pups". It lets the kids get a taste of boot camp-skills in out door camping,cooking,leadership,how to get along with your mates etc...its never had a problem with the name..yet

dust devil

that is just amazing--"Hoagland", will tell you though ,"thats not a dust devil", -"that is a martian on holiday, in his land rover,four wheeling it".

a fellow SA fiend is never too far away.

Lowtax is a comic genius

rynner said:
Photo of Devil on Mars!

Sorry, couldn't resist the synchronicity! But it is an amazing picture.

Bugger the dust devil. What's that cross shaped thingy in the small crater on the left side of the photo?

re:Mana

I did not see that first look but on close inspection, that is what they call an"X-Drone", seen on the moon mostly .Some think they are artificial. Heard them mentioned on the "art bell show", often. Good eye! :)

Back