• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Saturn Return

ShadyCavalier

Ephemeral Spectre
Possibly not the right section for this thread, but it was the section that inspired me to make it.

Earlier this evening I was speaking to a friend about how one's late 20s seem to be one long massive churn, and she mentioned the theory of Saturn's Return (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_return).

Essentially, in your late 20s, Saturn comes back to the point it was at when you were born. She said, (although she believes in it figuratively and not scientifically) that this causes you to re-evaluate your life and make drastic changes.

I'd never heard of it before, but I find it an interesting concept, and certainly something I identify with at present.

Luckily, 2020 is my Champagne Year.

There's a theory that the Saturn return is responsible for so many famous musicians dying at 27 years. Basically , if you are already living on the edge, the Saturn return will knock you right off.

That time was very restless for me, but when it was over I gained a huge increase in witchcraft abilities.

Since this relates to astrology, and all the astrology stuff is in the Esoterica section, I'm moving this thread there.

Oh, well, beer then? Wine? A martini?
Anyway, happy birthday to you when it rolls around!

I'm quite into astrology, although can't really say i noticed the Saturn return especially. But i've got my full natal chart and like to check my transits to see how / if it relates to what's going on. Maybe the Saturn return depends on the rest of your natal chart to what extent it's felt?

... Essentially, in your late 20s, Saturn comes back to the point it was at when you were born. She said, (although she believes in it figuratively and not scientifically) that this causes you to re-evaluate your life and make drastic changes. ...

According to the Wikipedia entry (cited by the OP):

While the planet may not reach the exact spot until the person is 29 or 30 years old, the influence of the Saturn return is considered to start in the person's late twenties, notably the age of 27.

I have to admit this fits me to a tee. However,in my case the re-evaluation had been underway since my early twenties, and the radical changes represented adherence to the general life plan I'd already laid out.

When I turned 27 I was newly established in a career-path job intended to serve as the launch platform for the long-term / life-long vocational quest I'd promised myself I'd pursue no later than age 30. At age 27.5 I married the woman with whom I'd gotten seriously involved at around the time I turned 27. By age 29.5 I'd decided on the field in which I'd pursue my long-term vocation. I turned 30 during the first semester of returning to college to get a second degree in the field I'd chosen. I've stayed within that field and done well with it all the way to my current (semi-?) retired status almost 40 years later.

One of my closest and longest-known friends' experience similarly reflects this pattern. Having retired from traveling as a professional musician (circa age 28), he made the (radical, for him ... ) decision to follow my lead and settle into a secure and good-paying civil service job (my "launch platform"). He moved to his current location only 2 weeks after turning 29, and he's currently contemplating retirement after 40 years' service and advancement.

This doesn't apply to me. in my late 20s/early 30s had a young family and couldn't have been more settled. In fact I worked extremely hard at being just that.
I've just realised how very Saturn return this was. :chuckle:

A person has three possible Saturn returns. I've had two so far.

From Wiki -
These intervals or "returns" coincide with the approximate time it takes the planet Saturn to make one orbit around the sun, roughly 29.5 years.
Western astrologers believe that, as Saturn "returns" to the degree in its orbit occupied at the time of birth, a person crosses over a major threshold and enters the next stage of life.
With the first Saturn return, a person leaves youth behind and enters adulthood. With the second return, maturity.
And with the third and usually final return, a person enters wise old age.
These periods are estimated to occur at roughly the ages of 27–31, 56–60 and 84–90.
A fourth return—for those who live to see the age of 114–118—is sufficiently rare that it is not given coverage in the astrological literature.

I've never heard of this before, but isn't it just coincidental that that these are the ages most likely to be the ones where you:
A. Settle down /start a family.
B. Begin to contemplate retirement.
C. Become very aware of the short time left.
All major life events and nowt to do with Saturn?

Back