• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sausage cat.

Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Is this a cat to far.
As there seem to a few cat lovers here, what do you think of this .

that is one cute cat :)

I suppose it is good that it cant climb or jump up on things as my cats get everywhere and nothing is safe from them. Altho I feel it is cruel that we should change the way a creature works or looks just to suit our own needs but its the way of the world i guess, its nomore cruel than all of these dog breeds that seem to be accepted as a part of life.

It is cruel :( Cats like to climb on things and get everywhere, it's what they do to make their lives worth while. If you want a cat that doesn't do that, get a bloody stuffed one. It's like trimming off our children's fingers so they can't go sticking them in things.

As for dog breeds, I think that's cruel too, to breed a dog so it can't breath properly, or has such ridiculous hair that you can't take it outside. That peke that made the crufts final this year, the commentaters were telling a cute little story about it, the gist of which was, it's owner took it round the block after it's class the previous day.
If your dog is so deformed that taking it out for a walk is remarkable on, then there is something very wrong. These creatures are wolf-descendants, for Christs sake, with a matching set of instincts. Let them have a bit of dignity, and a bit of quality of life, instead of carrying them round in a bloody handbag. You'd think half these "toy" dogs didn't have legs.
:(

What the hell is wrong with cat people?

First breeding cats with fifty toes, now this. Do you LIKE your cats to be deformed-looking?

I really dislike things like this.

Cats with fifty toes? What?! Hachihyaku, do you have any more details on these strange creatures?

What is the point in a cat that can't jump or climb? Thats what cats do and they're darn cute when they're doing it. I used to have one that used to sit on top of the kitchen door, how cute is that? Instead of bringing in dead birds, he on one occasion came home with a brillo pad and another time a lettiuce leaf.

I think it is stupid and cruel. These Cat Fancy people have got out of control. They breed Siamese cats with long, pointed noses, and HUGE ears, that are so slender that one virus will kill them, they breed Persians with such pushed-in faces that they have breathing problems, and now this! No, I am definitely not in favour of it!

Same goes for the American practice of de-clawing cats, just for convenience sake, so they won't scratch the furniture:mad:

And Slytherin's remarks about dogs is very true, too. On one Crufts TV programme a couple of years ago, they showed some 'then' and 'now' pictures of various breeds of dog. The one that stuck in my mind was the dachshund. In the old (Victorian) picture of it, it was a robust, handsome little dog, quite a contrast from today's quivering-with-nerves-and-overbreeding show winners.

I'd love to let a gnarled old ginger Tom or a disreputable mongrel loose amongst those show breeders' female felines and canines - give the girls a treat!

Carole

Deliberately breeding these deformities in any animal is sick!!

Imagine the pain these poor kitties are going through because their legs are too short to support the full weight of their bodies.
Their back and joints must hurt terribly, if not now, then as they get older they will probably be more suspect to arthritis and many other painful things you wouldn't wish on a pet.
It is cruel and senseless.

Why not just get a Bonsai Kitten instead? j/k
I hate seeing animals suffer for the sake of 'trends'.
These people must really be Cat Haters!!!

:miaow:

If my overweight cat had legs like that they'd be sticking out at the sides, wiggling impotently, unable to reach the floor.:(

AWwwwwww!
:mad:
How DARE they!
Whomever is responsible for this should be bred for shortened limbs themselves! Let's see how they'd like it!

Niles ":mad:" Calder

Gross

Not very nice is it, should'nt really be done, But what worries me is, how come you were reading The Sun, (small newspaper, easy big headlines) ?. :eek!!!!:

Re: Gross

Michael Wason said:
Not very nice is it, should'nt really be done, But what worries me is, how come you were reading The Sun, (small newspaper, easy big headlines) ?. :eek!!!!:

Not guilty..I get alerts from Ananova.

carole said:
On one Crufts TV programme a couple of years ago, they showed some 'then' and 'now' pictures of various breeds of dog. The one that stuck in my mind was the dachshund. In the old (Victorian) picture of it, it was a robust, handsome little dog, quite a contrast from today's quivering-with-nerves-and-overbreeding show winners.

And British Bulldogs, which can now just about waddle and can hardly breathe, used to be robust little fellows along the lines of a smaller boxer.

On a vaguley related subject, does anyone know if docking a dog's tail is illegal? I thought it was made illegal except for medical purposes in about 1995, but I keep seeing young dogs like boxers and rottweilers with docked tails. It's a terrible shame, I think, to deprive a dog of its most expressive feature.

I'm not a Sun reader (unless I find a discarded copy in a pub), but at least their website is neat and simple - an example to many, I feel.

On a vaguley related subject, does anyone know if docking a dog's tail is illegal? I thought it
was made illegal except for medical purposes in about 1995, but I keep seeing young dogs
like boxers and rottweilers with docked tails. It's a terrible shame, I think, to deprive a dog of
its most expressive feature.

They CUT,DOCK,BANDAGE and SPLINT Doberman puppies's EARS.

PUPPIES!!!

Why?
JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE BORN DOBERMANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume that's in the US? :( Very unpleasant.

I haven't seen a dobbie with docked ears in this country (UK) ever, I don't think, or any other breed for that matter. Still see the tails though.

Originally posted by Slytherin

On a vaguley related subject, does anyone know if docking a dog's tail is illegal?

A bill is going through Parliament on this subject and hopefully, a ban will soon be in place.

i cant believe you people are getting so bitchy over a cat with short legs. there is nothing wrong with it! have you people made such a big fuss about racing pigeons? Arabian racing horses? specially bred dogs that have all sorts of heart and lung conditions? the world is full of animals that have been adapted to suit our needs but yet when it happens to a cat then all hell breaks loose. I dont know why the world loves cats so much! I have two cats and yes they cuddle me etc but they are little shits, they break everything scratch everything scratch me wake me up rip my clothes, cost me a fortune in food and in the night the sing and its annoying. I also had to get them both fixed which cost me 300 buck and they would still kill me if they had the chance i know this for a fact. Is this munchkin cat in pain? NO is it in discomfort? NO ,yes a cat does like to jump on things but when it cant then i dont think it will wallow to much in the fact that it cant. How many of you cat owners have had your cats declawed or spayed? almost all of you, this is just as bad as making their legs short as your adapting that cat to suit your own selfish needs. If you dont like it then dont buy one, that little cat has as much right to survive and have kittens as any other cat out there

and beakboo you should be ashamed of yourself for having such an unhealthy cat

Actually, Tang, I did make a fuss about deformed dog breeds, as did Carole. Maybe you didn't hear us? I have no problem with racing pigeons or arab horses because they aren't bred with characteristics that are detremental to their health. I have no problem with working animals at all, for the most part. I think it's a far more interesting and healthy lifestyle for most kinds of animal than just being shut in a house all day, provided thye are treated well.

I'm not questioning your devotion to your own pets, but if their natural habits piss people off that much, maybe they should consider not keeping them?

Fiktishus is probably right about the health problems these poor cats will have later in life. The feline body is designed to be supported on legs about three times the length, you can't tell me the animal isn't feeling a little bit strange to say the least.

Added to which, cats are natural hunters, and natural predators. That's what they do. They need to be able to leap and climb and play and claw for their good mental health. This is why little lap dogs are so often nasty, yappy neurotic little shites. They're denied their natural needs and instincts, and it screws them up properly. Animals need to be mentally as well as physically taken care of, or they suffer problems, just like humans. Look at animals who go stir-crazy in zoos. Physically, they're fine, but they need to be able to exercise and move about and have some outlet for their natural urges. And don't tell me cats are domesticated, so they don't mind. How very un-domesticated cats are mentally is very clear when you see how they can go entirely feral in a generation.

Humans have played God with animals for thousands of years, and I appreciate it can't be undone. The fact is, we've made them dependant on us and we could at least have the decency to recognise their right to good health and dignity. They are living things in their own right, not toys for us to play with.

(incidently, in answer to your question, I would NEVER have a cat declawed. Both my dogs are spayed, but they are both rescue dogs and came to me that way. However, considering how people treat them, it's not a bad idea to be cautious about bringing new puppies or kittens into the world)

Slytherin said:
Actually, Tang, I did make a fuss about deformed dog breeds, as did Carole. Maybe you didn't hear us? I have no problem with racing pigeons or arab horses because they aren't bred with characteristics that are detremental to their health.

I'm not questioning your devotion to your own pets, but if their natural habits piss people off that much, maybe they should consider not keeping them?

(incidently, in answer to your question, I would NEVER have a cat declawed. Both my dogs are spayed, but they are both rescue dogs and came to me that way. However, considering how people treat them, it's not a bad idea to be cautious about bringing new puppies or kittens into the world)

Yes i saw people where posting they didnt agree with dog breeds but only after the point was risen. did these people object before they read about this wee cat? i dont think they even gave it the time of day

If i had my own way id have both of my cats put down (joke) no seriously i dont like the fact that i have 2 cats and we dont have a big garden for them to run about in but my girlfriend would kill me if i ever gave them away or anything. She complains if i look at them the wrong way.

I agree with fixing cats and dogs, there are too many kittens and puppy in the world already and i dont agree with people who think its cute that their cat has a ton of kittens and they have to try and unload them off to people that they know. If those people want a cat or kitten they should be going to the rescue center! thats where i get all my pets from and i urge others to do the same. I was very glad to hear that your dogs are rescue dogs Slytherin, if only more people where like you then there would be less dogs and cats suffering around the world. nice one :)

tang-malow said:
Yes i saw people where posting they didnt agree with dog breeds but only after the point was risen. did these people object before they read about this wee cat? i dont think they even gave it the time of day

Actually, I do whinge about it all the time, it's one of my pet hates :) But I appreciate I'm quite a fanatic when it comes to pet's rights. I won't even keep any caged animals. Nothing that won't stay with me voluntarily is my motto.

I agree with you entirely about rescue dogs and cats, it's bordering on criminal to go and line some puppy farmer or petshop's pockets when there are literally millions of perfectly lovely dogs and cats going nuts in rescue kennels. Another of my pet hates is people buying puppies coz they're cute and giving no consideration to the kind of dog it'll grow into; or that having a puppy is not unlike having a baby, it's pretty much a full time job. You shouldn't go out and get a puppy if you want a puppy. If you want a puppy, get a stuffed toy, because real puppies don't stay puppies for very long. They grow into dogs, and dogs need exercise, training and attention every day for the rest of their long lives.

I know this is getting off-topic, but it's the same mentality that wants to breed a munchkin cat (and what a nastily cutsiepie name) that thinks dogs and cats are just our possesions that we can pick up and disguard when we choose.

Pardon me for ranting, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about. :)

I assume that's in the US? Very unpleasant.
I haven't seen a dobbie with docked ears in this country (UK) ever, I don't think, or any other breed for that matter. Still see the tails though.
Uh..they don't dock dobie ears over there?
Over here,vets refuse to dock adult dobie ears as they are large and can be vicious.

I feel SO sad about the puppies.

I think they also dock the ears of Pit Bull Terriers, as the ears I have seen on some of them are totally unlike anything I would imagine would grow naturally on a dog.

Mind you a pit bull doesnt exactly look like a natural dog anyway... I saw one being walked through a city centre the other day and from behind, it actually looked more like a pig than a dog... pure white, very short hair, stiff-looking legs more like a hoofed animal on its fat little body with its skinny little tail, balls hanging down (isnt it illegal not to neuter "dangerous" breeds?)and big head with pointy triangular ears. Some kids were pointing and laughing and making pig noises, I reckon they seriously thought it was a pig!

From the front though their heads scare me, nasty vicious animals, they look like their jaw would be a vice grip that just wouldnt let go. Not dogs at all, dunno what the hell they are. Weird, vicious, sci-fi horror pig-dogs.

I havent seen a "munchkin" cat before but I have seen some called "Twisty Cats" or "Kangaroo Cats" which have normal sized back legs and tiny front legs like the munchkin`s... they sit upright like little kangaroos. Almost like a little chupacabras in fact...

Of course, it is a well known fact that breders try to get their animals to resemble them. That said, I think the midget cat shouldn,t be allowed to live. It will not know the true life of a cat eg running jumping crapping in childs sandboxes. It will be pampered over. On the subject of docking dogs tails, our springer spanniel was docked and he now shows more emotion through his body then just wagging his tail. THey shoun't ban docking anyway as it does not cripple the dog. It just means that when out hunting he does not end up injuring himself by tripping up. The amount of hunting I do would be limited if a had a clumsy dog.

Rant over.

The Thing said:
THey shoun't ban docking anyway as it does not cripple the dog. It just means that when out hunting he does not end up injuring himself by tripping up. The amount of hunting I do would be limited if a had a clumsy dog.

Personally I would think that it would have made more sense to breed a shape of hunting dog that didn't trip over its own tail in the first place... I mean, wolves and foxes hunt, do you ever hear of them going A over T because they stood on their own tails? No! If a dog can fall over itself, that, to me, suggests that it's been bred into a non-functional shape and that this should be something that the breeders should be working towards rectifying, not that they should be taking the lazy way out by removing its tail!

Put it like this, Thing. How would *you* feel if someone wanted to cut a bit off you to make you more efficient at your job?

Sorry, no offence meant, but I love dogs and hate seeing them hurt, maimed or ill treated. Incidentally, I told my mate who is a qualified vet about that munchkin cat, and her immediate response was total disgust and "it'll be just like a dachshund then, they'll all have nothing but back and joint problems, these people shouldn't be allowed..."

Razorwire

On a more positive note, take a look here

Bengal Cats

The Bangal cat arose as a result of an attempt to introduce a gene to the domestic cat which would be resistant to Feline Leukemia. The result, at the F4 level is a pretty robust, affectionate domestic cat, although with a few 'big' cat habits (falling asleep on top of doors, dropping on people from trees) have no endemic health problems. They are also VERY pretty!

8¬)

Slytherin said:
Actually, I do whinge about it all the time, it's one of my pet hates :) But I appreciate I'm quite a fanatic when it comes to pet's rights.

what do you think about people that over feed their pets and end up with big fat cats and dogs that end up with health problems?
I noticed beakboo said she had an overweight cat, people that have overweight animals due to the owners over feeding their pet make me sick. People like this should not be allowed to keep any animals and perhaps children also.

Bengal Cats (domestic cat/ Asian leopard cat hybrids), along with the similar Chausies (domestic cat/ jungle cat hybrids) have been blamed for some of the smaller British ABCs. There is a report of someones cat having unusually large and fierce kittens with odd looking ears after the Jungle Cat was captured in Shropshire, so these could well be natural Chausies.

As far as I am aware both Bengals and Chausies are fertile females but infertile males, however after a few generations of interbreeding with domestic cats (say 1/8 jungle/ leopard cat, 7/8 domestic) the males may start being fertile again, but selection (either natural or artificial) could emphasise the "wild" characteristics eg. size and behaviour in these cats.

There is also the Maine Coon which is claimed to be 1/2 domestic and 1/2 Lynx, but this combination should not produce fertile hybrids so they are probably just selectively bred large, long haired domestic cats.

I think cats are finally reaching the same level of "designer-ification" as dogs, after many years of most cats looking pretty much the same except for coat length and colour, they are now getting more and more body size/shape variations, for better or worse, to suit different tastes, perhaps because cats are getting more accepted as "house pets" because in urban areas it is less practical to keep a dog.

Razorwire, Imagine this. You have a fully useless tail, which can only show emotion. When you are hunting, it gets caught in brambles and breaks. With a proper hunting dog, this can happen over 50 times in 5 years. This is one reason dogs tails are docked. It is not painful for the dogs, a tight rubber ring is slipped around the tail, cutting off blood supply and a few weeks later falls off. This is the same process performed on lambs and cows. Lambs are also castrated this way while cows have an injection while their balls are sliced off.

Keeping dogs and to a lesser extent cats indoors should be a criminal offence. Dogs want to be free. Our dog spends his whole life outdoors, eating, sleeping, helping move 400 sheep, helping at lambing time. He is retired now but still plays with my neices and nephews when they come over. Cats are a bit more comfortable indoors but do not like being kept indoors for long periods.

Back