• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sawney Bean / Beane: Tall Tale Or Truth?

The tall tale and the short of it...

Well, that's interesting - I just happen to be in the middle of writing a suitably gruesome short story about old Bean (or Bain, or Beane)...

Well, I'd have to go for the tale being tall, in the end. There are a number of reasons for this...

First up, the matter of the Jimmies. The King Jimmies, to be exact. Now, the tale has it that it was a Royal Jim who hung the errant Bean - (not a surprise really, given the general lack of imagination in the house of Stewart vis a vis naming the sprogs). Now, various Jims are put forward in the familiar account, but most popularly, Kings Jimmy I or Jimmy VI - quite a discrepancy, coming effectively at the beginning and end of the Stewart era. Now - the confusion can be easy enough accounted for if one considers that to people outside of Scotland, Jim VI (he of the perpetual dribble and penchant for ennobling steaks) is known as Jim I (author of the Bible). Fine, so one can simply say that the original 1400s story is sometimes confused in the retalling...

But, the problem has to be the lack of evidence for Beane. Mel Gibson may tell us that Scotland was a miserable stack of shanty town swimming in suitably celtic mud, but it actually wasn't. In many respects, it was of similar sophistication to the rest of Europe - ahead in some respects, behind in others. Anyway, records were KEPT. And a family that eats c 1,000 people is going to feature. And, if we place Beane in the late 16th century, with Jim VI, then the absence of Bean and his brood is much more troubling, given the greater administrative sophistication in Scotland, and the literate post-reformation culture that would have been sure to document this thoroughly.

Ok, so records can go missing - true, And the details given - for example, Bean being a migrant from Edinburgh's South east to the south west that give an air of historicity, but again, much of this is reliant on one account. There simply aren't the records to substantiate this - and none of the histories of Scotland from this time that I have come across seem to mention him.

And there is a conspicuous absence in the balladry. Scotland's corpus of Scots language ballads is one of the richest in the world - well documented and faithfully transmitted. Its also a pretty grim corpus full of corpses - a typical example of this would be the song The Twa Corbies, in which two ravens casually discuss the life history of the man whose rotting carcass they are eating. What precisely, are the chances of something as phantasmagorical as the Bean clan escaping the attentions of the rhapsodists? For that matter, none of the fifteenth century Makars (Scottish vernacular poets) such as Dunbar, Henryson or Lindsay feature him.

Of course, evidence of absence, is not absence of evidence - of course not. And yes, none of the ballads were written down, but collected by the likes of Scott, Childe and so on. So there could be a ballad that has vanished into the ether. Still, its odd not to have a record...

(There IS a ballad about Sawney Bean, but it was written in the twentieth century, by Lionel McClelland, once the legend was well established)

Galloway is a funny old place - and somewhere I have a lot of affection for, as my father's family originated there. They were Johnstones - cattle rustlers, horse-raiders and general troublemakers. In fact, Galloway was once one of the wildest regions in Scotland - and one of the last areas of the lowlands to speak Gaelic, probaly up until the early nineteenth century. 'The Kern's' of Galloway had a reputation worse even than the Border Reivers of the east (The reiver region interestingly, stretches up towards East Lothian, where Sawney is supposed to have been spawned). Anyway, this alone should tell you that people from that region had a reputation only millimetres above mud. They were seen as bloodthirsty, ravenous, parasitic - preying upon the douce farmer folk of the central belt, and the sturdy yeoman just across the border. The Gaelic speaking element also leant to them the same stigmas attached to the Highlander -violent, theiving, lazy, rapacious, brutal, incestuous...

Ok, so that's no proof either - it only circumstantially proves that Sawney is some sort of composite anti-Scottish/anti-Gallovidian bogeyman. I tend to favour this theory, but am aware that it ultimately, is only that. There just isn't enough evidence around to resolve the matter, once and for all. But, ultimately, and by the by, its a hell of a good tale.

Anyway, sorry to ramble - as you can see, I've had red eyed maneaters and Barbecued milkmaid ribs on the mind for a while now...

An interesting perspective here:

http://www.seanachaidh.org/sawney.htm

It has an old account, but what's interesting for this discussion is the side panel:
In the story, once captured, the cannibals were then taken to the tollbooth in Edinburgh before being executed at Leith. Sawney's wife, daughters and grandchildren watched while their male relatives had their hands and legs cut off. After the men had bled to death the women and children were burned on three fires. The truth of the matter is that there is absolutely no record of the capture and execution of the Bean family.

Ronald Holmes in his investigation, "The Legend of Sawney Bean" suggests that Sawney first appeared in print in the first half of the eighteenth century in broadsheets containing lurid accounts of his supposedly "true" story. These were all printed, and therefore probably written, in England. These broadsheet accounts of Sawney are all similar in content and largely concur with Nicholson's later version.

Fiona Black, writing in "The Polar Twins", suggests that, "The monstrous figure of Sawney, as written history, was probably an English invention. Cannibalism has a long history as a means of political propaganda used by a dominant culture against those they want to colonise; as an English invention Sawney may be considered as a colonial fiction written to demonstrate the savagery and uncivilised nature of the Scots in contrast to the superior qualities of the English nation."

The old adage says the "There's no smoke without fire." Well there certainly appears to have been elements of cannibalism during periods of famine in Scotland's history if we are to accept folklore as evidence. Robert Lindsay of Pitscottie's "History and Chronicles of Scotland" from the 1570's contains a narrative of such, set in the year 1460.

Raphael Hollinshead's "Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland (1808)" briefly details how in 1341, a character from the North East of Scotland called Tristicloke "spared not to steale children, and to kill women, on whose flesh he fed, as if he had been a woolfe." According to Hollinshead, an English historian, even though both the Scots and the English were suffering the effects of famine it was a Scot who resorted to cannibalism.

The story of Tristicloke appears along the way to have developed into, or is at least a close parallel to, the story of Christie Cleek which also appears on this website.

There are several caves along the coast of Galloway that are reputed to be the home of Sawney Bean, but if the legend is, in any way, true, then his home may in fact have been in Ayrshire. The coast between the villages of Lendalfoot and Ballantrae rounds the wild and windswept Bennane Head. Along this coast are several caves, be warned Sawney Beans cave is difficult to access due to the steep climb down and incoming tides. There is another cave closer to Ballantrae, near the old closed coastal road, but this is not Sawney Beans cave.

Ogopogo said:
jamesveldon said:
There's a Robert Carlisle movie based on it and didn't the makers of Canable: The Musical know the story rather well?

CANNIBAL: THE MUSICAL! was based on the Alfred Packer murders.

Seems it doesn't go down too well ;)

School closes Cannibal musical play

Staff at an Arizona school have pulled a student play after deciding that – despite cuts – the production was too violent and vulgar to be performed in front of the community.

Students at Ironwood Ridge High School in Tuscon were told that the production of Cannibal! The Musical was cancelled and would be replaced with another show. Student director Zachary Singer said had tried to make it "more appropriate" for a high school audience, which included editing out profanities and finding ways to artistically present violent scenes. But principal Sam McClung said the play was not just for a high school audience, but would be performed for the entire community, including pupils’ younger siblings and older grandparents, who would not expect to see this kind of content performed from a school stage. Cannibal! the Musical is based on the first film written by Trey Parker, co-creator cartoon South Park and the 2004 movie Team America: World Police. It is based on the true story of gold prospector Alferd G. Packer, who was convicted of eating his fellow prospectors after they got lost in the Colorado mountains in 1874.

Arizona playgoers disappointed by the school verdict may travel across the state to Phoenix, where The Guerilla Playmakers open their debut 2005 season with a production of Cannibal! The Musical, at the Third Street Theatre, Phoenix, 21-30 January. See the group's website for details.

Source

Mr. Bean

When I first read about Mr. Alexander Beane (Sawney is a nickname for Alexander) 50 years ago, as a high school freshman, I bit HARD. In fact, I accepted the story's authenticity down to as recently as two or three years ago.

But current historical belief is that the Beane story is indeed fictional, the work of ENGLISH pamphleteers attempting to portray Scots as savages. The VERY FIRST mention of Beane seems to date from no earlier than 1740, several centuries after Beane's supposed execution.

P. S. Have you noticed that as the "real" Sawney Beane becomes fictional, the "fictional" Sweeney Todd is becoming real? That's spooky enough in itself.

P. S. Have you noticed that as the "real" Sawney Beane becomes fictional, the "fictional" Sweeney Todd is becoming real?

I hadn't heard about this - can you elaborate?

Who was Sawney Bean?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21506077
By Steven Brocklehurst
BBC Scotland news website

David Hayman plays Sawney Bean in a new film version of the legend

Sawney Bean, the cave-dwelling cannibal, is one of Scotland's most shocking and gruesome legends. A new horror movie, starring David Hayman, is being premiered at the Glasgow Film Festival, but who was Sawney Bean?

Forget Hannibal Lecter, Caledonian cannibal Sawney Bean makes him look like a fussy eater.

According to legend, the Bean clan killed and ate 1,000 people in a 25-year reign of terror, while hiding out in a sea cave on Scotland's south-west coast, between Girvan and Ballantrae.

The infamous tale of Sawney Bean has, over the years, inspired novels, plays, operas, and at least one major Hollywood movie - The Hills Have Eyes.

Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes was remade in 2006
Its writer and director Wes Craven said he used the story of Sawney Bean as a primary source for his script.

But where did the story come from?

Scottish historian Dr Louise Yeoman says: "It sounds like the plot for a box-office topping horror film and that's because it was invented to serve a very similar purpose - to sell books.

"It also has a more sinister subtext - the books it sold were published not in Scotland but in England, at a time when there was widespread prejudice against Scots."

Dr Yeoman says despite most often being set at the turn of the 17th Century, the story of Sawney Bean cannot be found until more than 100 years later.

At the time of the Jacobite risings in the 18th Century, the English press regularly portrayed Scots in a negative way, either as subjects of ridicule or as having a sinister nature.

Dr Yeoman adds: "The name Sawney itself was a popular English name for the barbarous cartoon Scot.

"It's like calling a cartoon Irishman Paddy.

The Edinburgh Dungeons uses the Sawney Bean legend to scare tourists
"The Sawney story was a dig at Scots - a people so barbarous they could produce a monster like Sawney, who lived in a cave and ate people."

The earliest dated versions of the tracts surviving in National Library of Scotland are from 1775, says Dr Yeoman.

"Interestingly enough, this is the year that Johnson and Boswell's Tour of the Hebrides was published - so perhaps the schlock horror story was cashing in on a bit of a vogue for strange tales from Scotland," Dr Yeoman says.

Some sources place Sawney in the reign of James I of Scotland in the early 1400s but most seem to have him in the time of James VI of Scotland (who was James I of England) around the turn of the 17th Century.

Seized and executed
Dr Yeoman says historical inaccuracy is just one of the reasons why Sawney Bean is thought to be legend rather than reality.

The legend runs that the Bean clan took up residence in a sea cave which was hidden every high-tide and they raised a brood of 14 children and 32 grandchildren - all from incest.

The Beans were murderers and cannibals who preyed on travellers, robbing them, killing them and eating them, hacking the bodies into quarters and pickling them in their cave.

They came unstuck when they set upon a man at a fair who fought back with a pistol.

The clan were reported to the magistrates of Glasgow who, in turn, informed King James.

He was said to have assembled 400 men and a huge number of bloodhounds to track them down.

The new film is set in the present day with Sawney Bean as a black-cab driver
Dr Yeoman says the later King James was a very keen hunter but he was unlikely to have put himself in danger by leading this perilous trek.

The historian says when James's life was actually thought to have been in danger, such as the Gunpowder Plot, he made sure his subjects knew about it.

"If James had successfully led an expedition to face down a well-armed group of bloodthirsty cannibals - we would have never heard the end of it," Dr Yeoman says.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We used to go for holidays to Girvan so one day, I think I was 10, my father took us to the actual cave and we went into it”

David Hayman
The horror of the Sawney Bean legend continues to intrigue, with an exhibit at the popular Edinburgh Dungeon attraction being devoted to the legend.

Lyndsay Hebert, performance manager at the dungeon, says there were "lots of contradictory versions of the Bean legend" so they took the King James VI story with the king's men chasing down the clan in their gory lair.

The dungeon has a "boat ride" in which the visitors become part of the king's party trying to flush the Beans out of their hiding place in the sea cave.

Ms Hebert says Sawney Bean is not as well-known as Burke and Hare, one of the dungeon's other exhibits, but it is a very familiar Scottish tale.

Actor David Hayman says his father used to tell him the story as a child, leaving him "absolutely terrified" before he went to bed.

He says: "We used to go for holidays to Girvan, so one day, I think I was 10, my father took us to the actual cave and we went into it.

"It was really scary and creepy. As a young boy you can just imagine all the things that went on in there."

Period piece
The 62-year-old actor is now playing the cannibal in a new Scottish film Sawney: Flesh of man.

The film's director Ricky Wood also says it is a story he has heard since he was a child.

"I always thought it would make a great movie," he says.

"But it is a period piece and we are making a low-budget film, so we have made a modern-day version."

Wood adds: "Instead of Sawney abducting passers-by on horseback he's got his black cab and prowls the cities and towns of Scotland."

The premiere of the film at the Glasgow Film Festival is a sell-out and the makers are discussing worldwide distribution deals.

Historians may dispute the existence of Sawney and his family but it seems the audience has not lost its appetite for this Caledonian cannibal legend.

Sawney: Flesh of Man will be screened at the Glasgow Film Festival on Friday 22 February.

The tall tale and the short of it...

Well, that's interesting - I just happen to be in the middle of writing a suitably gruesome short story about old Bean (or Bain, or Beane)...

Well, I'd have to go for the tale being tall, in the end. There are a number of reasons for this...

First up, the matter of the Jimmies. The King Jimmies, to be exact. Now, the tale has it that it was a Royal Jim who hung the errant Bean - (not a surprise really, given the general lack of imagination in the house of Stewart vis a vis naming the sprogs). Now, various Jims are put forward in the familiar account, but most popularly, Kings Jimmy I or Jimmy VI - quite a discrepancy, coming effectively at the beginning and end of the Stewart era. Now - the confusion can be easy enough accounted for if one considers that to people outside of Scotland, Jim VI (he of the perpetual dribble and penchant for ennobling steaks) is known as Jim I (author of the Bible). Fine, so one can simply say that the original 1400s story is sometimes confused in the retalling...

But, the problem has to be the lack of evidence for Beane. Mel Gibson may tell us that Scotland was a miserable stack of shanty town swimming in suitably celtic mud, but it actually wasn't. In many respects, it was of similar sophistication to the rest of Europe - ahead in some respects, behind in others. Anyway, records were KEPT. And a family that eats c 1,000 people is going to feature. And, if we place Beane in the late 16th century, with Jim VI, then the absence of Bean and his brood is much more troubling, given the greater administrative sophistication in Scotland, and the literate post-reformation culture that would have been sure to document this thoroughly.

Ok, so records can go missing - true, And the details given - for example, Bean being a migrant from Edinburgh's South east to the south west that give an air of historicity, but again, much of this is reliant on one account. There simply aren't the records to substantiate this - and none of the histories of Scotland from this time that I have come across seem to mention him.

And there is a conspicuous absence in the balladry. Scotland's corpus of Scots language ballads is one of the richest in the world - well documented and faithfully transmitted. Its also a pretty grim corpus full of corpses - a typical example of this would be the song The Twa Corbies, in which two ravens casually discuss the life history of the man whose rotting carcass they are eating. What precisely, are the chances of something as phantasmagorical as the Bean clan escaping the attentions of the rhapsodists? For that matter, none of the fifteenth century Makars (Scottish vernacular poets) such as Dunbar, Henryson or Lindsay feature him.

Of course, evidence of absence, is not absence of evidence - of course not. And yes, none of the ballads were written down, but collected by the likes of Scott, Childe and so on. So there could be a ballad that has vanished into the ether. Still, its odd not to have a record...

(There IS a ballad about Sawney Bean, but it was written in the twentieth century, by Lionel McClelland, once the legend was well established)

Galloway is a funny old place - and somewhere I have a lot of affection for, as my father's family originated there. They were Johnstones - cattle rustlers, horse-raiders and general troublemakers. In fact, Galloway was once one of the wildest regions in Scotland - and one of the last areas of the lowlands to speak Gaelic, probaly up until the early nineteenth century. 'The Kern's' of Galloway had a reputation worse even than the Border Reivers of the east (The reiver region interestingly, stretches up towards East Lothian, where Sawney is supposed to have been spawned). Anyway, this alone should tell you that people from that region had a reputation only millimetres above mud. They were seen as bloodthirsty, ravenous, parasitic - preying upon the douce farmer folk of the central belt, and the sturdy yeoman just across the border. The Gaelic speaking element also leant to them the same stigmas attached to the Highlander -violent, theiving, lazy, rapacious, brutal, incestuous...

Ok, so that's no proof either - it only circumstantially proves that Sawney is some sort of composite anti-Scottish/anti-Gallovidian bogeyman. I tend to favour this theory, but am aware that it ultimately, is only that. There just isn't enough evidence around to resolve the matter, once and for all. But, ultimately, and by the by, its a hell of a good tale.

Anyway, sorry to ramble - as you can see, I've had red eyed maneaters and Barbecued milkmaid ribs on the mind for a while now...
The first I had heard of the Sawney Bean story put it in the time of James II of England. So that would be the early 1600's wouldn't it?

The first I had heard of the Sawney Bean story put it in the time of James II of England. So that would be the early 1600's wouldn't it?

I think the published tales are from the 1700's, referring to events in the 1600's. But there are theories that the original stories predate this earlier time also. (I have no evidence to offer, but I can't help suspecting that the idea of a wild family, living in a cave and feeding off unwary travellers may be common to many cultures, areas, and eras.)

Edit: According to Ronald Holmes, in his book The Legend of Sawney Bean (bought from a book fair many years back) the original published story appeared in broadsheet form around 1700. However, Holmes' book was published in 1974 - so his research may have been superseded by now.

Another edit: I was wrong. The story refers to events in the reign of James I of Scotland, which probably makes it some time in the early 1400's.

Just as an aside - there is often confusion about the numbering of British monarchs when their territorial influence shifted. James II of England was VII of Scotland; James I was Jimmy VI; I've more than once seen this result in chronological confusion by those unfamiliar with the machinations of Scottish/English politics and the unimaginitive nature of royal nomenclature.

Last edited:
Relating to the Sawney Bean tale, I dug around on the Internet for a time yesterday, and found this web page which gives lots of detail of the so-say events...

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/legends/the-newgate-calendar-part-1-sawney-bean/

Within the tale of the of cannibalism that is supposed to have taken place within this cave (in the above account) I see that it has been given the very un-Scottish name of 'Cimmerian Den.'

No denoting of such a cave with that name seems to show up on present day maps.

The name of Cimmerian however relates to a peoples that came to be known from 1,000 BC that were nomadic!

From Wikipedia... quote:
"The Cimmerians (also Kimmerians; Greek: Κιμμέριοι, Kimmérioi) were a nomadic Indo-European people, who appeared about 1000 BC, and are mentioned later in 8th century BC in Assyrian records."
Seems that it's more than just a bit strange why someone would go to all the trouble of working up a story like this... to what end?

Relating to the Sawney Bean tale, I dug around on the Internet for a time yesterday, and found this web page which gives lots of detail of the so-say events...

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/legends/the-newgate-calendar-part-1-sawney-bean/

Within the tale of the of cannibalism that is supposed to have taken place within this cave (in the above account) I see that it has been given the very un-Scottish name of 'Cimmerian Den.'

The name of Cimmerian however relates to a peoples that came to be known from 1,000 BC that were nomadic!

From Wikipedia... quote:
"The Cimmerians (also Kimmerians; Greek: Κιμμέριοι, Kimmérioi) were a nomadic Indo-European people, who appeared about 1000 BC, and are mentioned later in 8th century BC in Assyrian records."
Seems that it's more than just a bit strange why someone would go to all the trouble of working up a story like this... to what end?

A tribe of Cimmerians settled in the Scottish highlands, Conan is a popular given name in those areas.

It's just a description, not an actual name. It is a den inhabited by nomadic people like the Cimmerians.
But some of the bloodhounds luckily entered this Cimmerian den

Local crofters have long practisced cannibalism though, preying on unwary travelers.

We must have been lucky then :)

True anecdote - I was travelling through D+G on a camping holiday with some friends. I was on my bike, my wife, her friend and her children were in a car. I got to a campsite and booked us in, two tents. . All was well, not bothered about my bike. But when the ladies turned up, suddenly we were not acceptable. I think they thought I was running a harem - in fact my wife's friend's bloke had had a breakdown on his bike and was trying to get it fixed 50 miles away. We ended up camping in whisky distillery near Wigtown - such a brilliant place we stayed there for best part of a week.

We must have been lucky then :) True anecdote - I was travelling through D+G on a camping holiday with some friends. I was on my bike, my wife, her friend and her children were in a car. I got to a campsite and booked us in, two tents. . All was well, not bothered about my bike. But when the ladies turned up, suddenly we were not acceptable. I think they thought I was running a harem - in fact my wife's friend's bloke had had a breakdown on his bike and was trying to get it fixed 50 miles away. We ended up camping in whisky distillery near Wigtown - such a brilliant place we stayed there for best part of a week.
They were just peeved you didn't invite them to the orgies.:twothumbs:

I'd always understood the Sawney Bean tale to be myth with no historical evidence to support it. Mind you Dumfries and Galloway is still a place apart - a rather beautiful and unspoiled place. Long may it stay so.

I hadn't realised that the good people of D&G (or more specifically, Wigtownshire) had laid claim to the legend. Growing up in Ayrshire I always knew it as one of ours. There is a tourist sign directing people to Sawney Bean's cave on the A77 between Ballantrae and Stranraer. The cave is located in South Ayrshire (although not by much).

As a kiddie - albeit a very nasty, morbid one - I used to read the tale of Sawney Bean* aloud to anyone who would listen.

Most stopped their ears at the point where the lawyer's wife was dragged from her horse and her entrails were . . . :lalala:

I never got to the bit about the cave with the pickled ears and smoked shoulders.

Now, I'm thinking, it was just like a Jay Rayner review of an enterprising nose-to-tail start-up. :dinner:

*Just one of many, all of them dubious but this one was juicy. I think it was in Dorothy L. Sayers' collection of Tales of Detection, Mystery and Horror. What a joy that black-bound volume was! :evillaugh:

Last edited:
Having been to Whithorn I can understand why. Mind you I have also been Ballantrae:)

Whithorn is even more remote. I used to wonder what it was like having your bright-lights-big-town being Wigtown! At least I got to yearn for Dumfries.

It strikes me that the Sawney Bean story and that of Sweeney Todd are the same story told from opposite perspectives. One is about the mortal hazards of travelling in a primitive and isolated landscape - the other about the dangers presented to unwary travellers in the big bad bustling city. It's easy to imagine the former being told in front of the fire by town dwellers, the latter told as a warning to rural types venturing into the city to make their fortune. In both the result is possibly one of our most primeval fears, that of becoming food.

Last edited:
Growing up in Ayrshire I always knew it as one of ours. There is a tourist sign directing people to Sawney Bean's cave on the A77 between Ballantrae and Stranraer. The cave is located in South Ayrshire...

Having spent some time in Ayrshire, l’m surprised that Sawney, his antics notwithstanding, is regarded as enough of an outlier to warrant being treated as a tourist attraction.

maximus otter

Back