• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scandinavian Ghost Rockets / Bombs (Sweden; 1946)

krakenten

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I just saw reference to this one on TV.

I was about to give up on the whole mystery thing, then this one surfaces-or submerges, as you might have it.

I wrote a story about just such a thing happening for a now defunct horror and scifi magazine, a few years ago. I had never heard of this phenom before last week.

Like the Foo Fighters, they appeared, and just as suddenly, were gone.

Smells like Soviet jiggery-pokery to me, but who knows? Like the Fly Trap, the Bell and so many other things, it has vanished into the mists of long ago secret doings.

Or has it?

I'm really sorry! This belongs somewhere else-I was very sleepy and somewhat bemused when I posted it, and I didn't realize how inappropriate it was for this section.

C an you ever forgive me? :oops: :(

Could you elaborate on those ghost rockets before this gets deleted? Did you repost it somewhere else? I'm only asking because I had a strange observation regarding 'weird' missiles/rockets when I was younger and I still don't know what they were.

Well, brother Dingo, that's the whole thing-there is no evidence, save the accounts of multiple witnesses, and a very large crater in the bottom of a shallow Swedish lake.

Look up Swedish ghost missiles-there's a half page article that tells all that's known(and that's not much!)

There were many of these incidents and many impacts. Radar tracked some of them. Many people saw them, more heard the explosions. But even with some fairly extensive investigation, nothing conclusive came to light.

Perhaps the Soviets were experimenting with flying bombs, and guidance systems? Could they have found a few advanced prototypes, and wanted to test them? Seems no one knows.

Just so this won't be a total waste, the Allied code name for the V-1 flying bomb was 'Cruise'.

Thus, all such munitions are called Cruise Missiles. The US dallied with a flying bomb called 'Bomac' during the cold war-each of the services demanded their own ICBM, and the Air Force went with the flying bomb.

The ballistic missile became the accepted type, and the Bomac went bye-bye. Sic transit gloria mundi. The Redstone was an Army design, which led to the Atlas and Jupiter types-those took us to the Moon.

krakenten said:
... The US dallied with a flying bomb called 'Bomac' during the cold war-each of the services demanded their own ICBM, and the Air Force went with the flying bomb.

The ballistic missile became the accepted type, and the Bomac went bye-bye. Sic transit gloria mundi. The Redstone was an Army design, which led to the Atlas and Jupiter types-those took us to the Moon.

Well, no ...

The Bomarc (note the 'r') was the 1950's / early 1960's era USAF ground-to-air interceptor missile, not a ground attack missile. It was designed to intercept incoming bombers.

The US Navy's Regulus missle, on the other hand, was a flying bomb intended for surface strikes.

I stand corrected-please, I'm working from memory, and that was a long time ago.

But it was indeed the Regulus(named for a Roman general who was killed by being put into a spiked barrel and rolled down a hill. Or at least that's one story). I built a plastic model of the damned thing, and had a toy version, too.

Good thing it was developed, our modern Tomahawk missile must owe much to the research on the Regulus.

For pure hair raising derring do, there as a piloted version of the V-1, which was flown by a female German test pilot. She served a bad cause, but that lady had some guts. The Japanese liked the idea so much they produced the Baka Bomb suicide munition. UGH!

Is there a difference between sending many men to their deaths as opposed to a manned bomb or torpedo that is piloted by a single volunteer?

There sure is! And we know it, each one of us-there's no sense to it, but we know it is WRONG.

Final aside, the whole Kamikaze idea may have been inspired by American pilots in the early days of WWII who crashed crippled aircraft into Japanese ships instead of bailing out.

Brave men, true to their duty. I think that's how we define a hero?

Thanks for answering Krakenden, I am "Sister" Dingo though ;)
Anyway. it can't have had anything to do with what I saw then as my sighting happened around 1979/80.

Still, as I haven't found out what I saw then I am always keen to hear about similar things.
I did write the whole thing down about 10 years ago [here on FTMB] but I'll be damned if I can find it again.

In short:
Was at school which stood in the middle of nowhere, looking out of our large [modern] windows, when I saw two dots approaching, as they went past [far too low to be official], I saw that they were missiles, flying exactly parallel. They had no markings and were dark grey.

As they went past, they suddenly made a turn upwards and shot out of view much too fast.
I immediately told the teacher who told me off for not listening to him.

I still have no idea what they were. They were so low, I could see almost all details on them.

That's it.

My apologies, Dingo, of late my attention to detail has been less than perfect-see above. Got to do more fact checking!

There have been some sightings of these things over the years, but Scandinavia appears to be where they are most often seen. Lord knows what you saw in England, but it might well be some secret government test-daylight seems a good time to fly some odd craft, un-noticed.

Remember, disinformation has been a keystone of the effort to keep these things secret-and we should go along with reasonable efforts to keep this stuff secret. Loose lips and all that.

Some of these sightings have been linked to meteor falls-recent NASA releases seem to indicate that big falls are a lot more common than we thought. We may also be passing through a stony patch.

We get a brief look at these things, with little time to react and note details-and that seems to be a prime ingredient in mysteries. With a little time to note details, many are explained.

But not the ghost bombs!

Hi Krakenten, no problems about getting it wrong, Dingo isn't a very feminine username ;)
I made a mistake and left out a maybe important detail. The sighting was in Germany to be specific Hannover. As this is somewhat closer to Denmark and Sweden, it may be relevant.

I find the whole thing weird and interesting, thanks for bringing it up.

Yes, this is certainly a strange one.

There are a few long standing mysteries that have been investigated, and thoroughly, but to no avail.

There's the Hornet Light. The "Seneca Guns" the 'Foo Fighters' of WWII... So many others-my favorite is the USS Cyclops, Baltimore bound forever. So many.

And please, I got the information off of one of those 'strange events'' shows on cable, I deserve no credit.

I doubt that ET is visiting-why would they?

I don't doubt that human governments are pulling the wool over the eyes of citizens. The get away with it so often-and now, nobody will believe anything.

Shame!, and serves 'em right!

Well, an idea occured to me-Prince Rupert Drops.

Those glass tadpoles you can't break with a hammer, but break the tail and they shatter to powder.

Perhaps a swarm of meteors formed in space from natural glass-they fall on Sweden(perhaps an orbital peculuarity?) and turn to powder when they impact. Hence, no traces.

It's too screwy to be the actual explaination-and too simple-but might it be linked?

Prince Rupert Drops are a fascinating subject on their own, and some play of them was made in a recent novel.

Farfetched? Yes.

Impossible? No.

krakenten said:
Well, an idea occured to me-Prince Rupert Drops.

Those glass tadpoles you can't break with a hammer, but break the tail and they shatter to powder.

Perhaps a swarm of meteors formed in space from natural glass-they fall on Sweden(perhaps an orbital peculuarity?) and turn to powder when they impact. Hence, no traces.

It's too screwy to be the actual explaination-and too simple-but might it be linked?

Prince Rupert Drops are a fascinating subject on their own, and some play of them was made in a recent novel.

Farfetched? Yes.

Impossible? No.

Thanks for pointing that out, and educating me in the process! 8)

The Dutch Tears-Prince Rupert's Drops are kind of like the Electrical Pistol they, are still available today, as a novelty.

One of them is enough-strictly a one-trick pony. Less fun than a Leyden Jar, but a historical curiosity.

Archaic science fascinates me, I recently bought a Wimshurt Machine and have a Singing Arc(that's a version of the thing in the old movies where the spark climbs between two rods. "It's alive! It's alive I tell you!) on order.

Re: Singing Arc...I'm wondering if it's a regional thing. I've never heard it called a "singing arc", but I am well familiar with it being called a "Jacob's Ladder".

In fact, we have one or more sitting at the Makerspace that we like to bring out for events and such.

The 'singing arc' is a special variety of Jacob's Ladder/spark gap. They don't all do that! I'll post an address as soon as I can find it. (Wouldn't it be be a gas, attached to a Theremin?)

I had the address on file, but I lost it, somehow-I'll have to look it up, I want one for Halloween.

Beware of Tesla coils and such, some of them can give a serious shock.

It's all fun until somebody loses an eye.

Oh, Hell, that's fun too!

I just ordered a singing arc from Information Unlimited, out of New Hampshire.

A selection of strange stuff with an emphasis on techno-paranoid paraphenalia.

They sell plans for much of the lineup, so you can make your own.

Only time will tell!

krakenten said:
Beware of Tesla coils and such, some of them can give a serious shock.

Would this be a good time to mention that we have the parts for at least 50 or so Tesla coils sitting around, waiting to be used?

We also have several members who've built their own and use them to play music, much like "Arc Attack" but on a significantly smaller scale.

Yes, mods, I know this isn't exactly on-topic, we'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming soon.... :)

You know what you're doing, the caution was for someone who found this in passing.

Imagine several Themins and some of these Singing Arcs brought together in an orchestra? Maybe with a Glass Armonica?

Gives me shivers!

Good foresight there about the Tesla coils.

Add a windjammer in there for style points and we've got ourselves an orchestra!

Since I love ''space music'', and was a big fan of John Diliberto's 'Echoes'(before it disappeared from any station I can get, now I listen to 'Soundscapes' on cable) I don't doubt such a thing might find an audience!

Me, for on e. Good luck!

krakenten said:
Since I love ''space music'', and was a big fan of John Diliberto's 'Echoes'(before it disappeared from any station I can get, now I listen to 'Soundscapes' on cable) I don't doubt such a thing might find an audience!

Me, for on e. Good luck!

Looks like you can listen online:

http://www.echoes.org/

Thanks!

It's so sad how Public Radio has declined, why I can't find Prairie Home Companion any more. It's left me Woebegon.

Philadelphia has several great stations, WXPN and WHYY foremost-WXPN has an affiliate station here in Baltimore, but I can't get any good reception here.

I think I'm going to have to go with Sirius!

Again, many thanks, I just don't get much reception at my house. The car gets more stations!

I'm going to try a really serious antenna. And move my radio set.

Last week I visited the UFO memorial in Ängelholm, Sweden. A man built it to commemorate his third degree encounter.
The monument is your classic saucer shape, with an antenna on top. The sighting was in 1946 though, a year before Kenneth Arnold's sighting.
I don't know wether there are any written sources from that time about his encounter, the monument itself was built 30 years later.

Last week I visited the UFO memorial in Ängelholm, Sweden. A man built it to commemorate his third degree encounter.
The monument is your classic saucer shape, with an antenna on top. The sighting was in 1946 though, a year before Kenneth Arnold's sighting.
I don't know wether there are any written sources from that time about his encounter, the monument itself was built 30 years later.
Cool! Perhaps he saw a "ghost rocket" close up..:

"In a 1967 lecture to the Greek Astronomical Society, broadcast on Athens Radio, Santorinis first publicly revealed what had been found in his 1947 investigation. "We soon established that they were not missiles. But, before we could do any more, the Army, after conferring with foreign officials (presumably U.S. Defense Dept.), ordered the investigation stopped. Foreign scientists [from Washington] flew to Greece for secret talks with me". Later Santorinis told UFO researchers such as Raymond Fowler that secrecy was invoked because officials were afraid to admit of a superior technology against which we have "no possibility of defense"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_rockets#Greek_government_investigation

I've posted about Ghost Rockets and a TV documentary on the subject but I don't remember in which thread. There were some excellent sightings of "rockets" slowing down, turning and landing in lakes. Some crashed into them but some landed and became submerged.

I've posted about Ghost Rockets and a TV documentary on the subject but I don't remember in which thread. There were some excellent sightings of "rockets" slowing down, turning and landing in lakes. Some crashed into them but some landed and became submerged.
I seem to recall accounts of these happenings in Finland, so not just Sweden. Maybe it was all over Scandinavia?

Back