• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scared Of The Dentist? You Will Be!

Good god! If I'd known it looked like that I'd have had it out years ago instead of just before Christmas! :eek:

Oh, I dunno.
Looks like David Cameron.
Note the organic scale...that's a leather-palmed utility glove, behind it, so'ni'tis.
s-lbs85lg__1.jpg

Therefore, it's a wrist-sized wriggle of wiggly whatnot, rather than the massive monster we thought it might've been. Presumably in it's unbronzed freshly-extracted state, it can be pumped-up to the size of a pig-porking politician.

Poor you, @Frideswide , I was unaware that you'd become an involuntary organ donor, when in hospital last year.

(Apologies to everyone that this thread is being taken away from it's dental roots. We'll need to pull it back. And consult a dentist for the whole tooth. Or if not a dentist, the owner of a sweet/candy factory.....

"Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"

Sorry, I just felt we were in need of a bit of Wonka legal advice, after getting our teeth into gall-bladders....it won't happen again;))

If you want to freak yourself out about bad teeth then watch these programmes
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/never-seen-a-doctor/episode-guide
I feel like I never brushed my teeth so carefully since.

I'm terrified of the dentist - as is so common, I had my teeth drilled to death as a child, and I've never had a problem with them since, other than with the ones that were drilled. I fear it was all entirely unnecessary. I've got big holes where the fillings have dropped out. But no pain and no trouble. So I'm not going back, despite entreaties from Mr E. It seems like an incredible racket to me. Why is dentistry not a proper part of the NHS? I find it completely baffling.

If you want to freak yourself out about bad teeth then watch these programmes
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/never-seen-a-doctor/episode-guide
I feel like I never brushed my teeth so carefully since.

I'm terrified of the dentist - as is so common, I had my teeth drilled to death as a child, and I've never had a problem with them since, other than with the ones that were drilled. I fear it was all entirely unnecessary. I've got big holes where the fillings have dropped out. But no pain and no trouble. So I'm not going back, despite entreaties from Mr E. It seems like an incredible racket to me. Why is dentistry not a proper part of the NHS? I find it completely baffling.
It IS a complete racket, yes.
After every visit to the dentist, I have problems. They've created those problems!

It seems like an incredible racket to me.

I went to my dentists a while back and I sat in a chair while the bloke looked in my mouth for about 20 seconds, did absolutely nothing at all then said "Yes, everything's fine .. can you please go and pay at the counter now" ... no scraping happened, he didn't mention my bad tooth, he didn't do anything. He might just as well have said "Yes, you have teeth .. now f**k off" .. I was in the room for no more than 60 seconds.

I went to pay and said to the receptionist "well .. that's the fastest twenty quid I've ever spent" .. she replied with something along the lines of "but it's reassuring to know there's nothing wrong with your teeth?" :) .... not really no receptionist lady ... because if there wasn't anything wrong (I was told but there actually was) and the dentist didn't do any work, surely a five pounds charge at the very most would have been more realistic.

Before my gallbladder was removed a few years ago, I asked the hospital staff with tongue firmly in cheek if I could take it home to have it bronzed. I told them it might make an interesting piece of abstract art. My request was politely denied. :p

I wonder if there's some kind of legal right of ownership over pieces of your body? You'd think, after all, that if you could definitively 'possess' anything, it would be your own corporeal form. Personally, unless a biopsy was required, I'd have created merry hell until they agreed to let me keep it. In fact, even if a biopsy was necessary, I'd have insisted forcefully that they glue/suture it back together afterwards and return it to me post-haste.

Hmmm... it's rather late in life for me to embark on a law degree, but maybe there'd be a lucrative niche market for people who want to fight for the right to take their own entrails home with them?

Thank you Mytho and it wasn't fun but they did a good job and I didn't feel a thing (are doctors/dentists allowed now allowed to give three injections instead of two into your gums? .. I'm very glad he did but at the same time? .. I think they were 50mg shots ...
Well, I lucked out in that the wisdom tooth (or the remains of it) caused me absolutely no pain before, during or after the surgery .. I was given Amoxicillin 500 mg caps to take three times a day for the standard five day course, it's always worked wonders for me in the past but this time it hasn't .. I've been up since half three this morning with your regular fun fever symptoms (hot and cold sweats, shaking, spasms, vomiting, diarrhoea and disorientation). My boss has given me the day off today but my dentist is shut because it's a bank holiday so it will be more than a few shots of vodka for breakfast, lots of water, scrambled egg on toast for lunch then a non prescription sleeping pill and paracetamol to catch up with the sleep. I'll be in bed reading old issues of FT .. The remains of the tooth are sat on my back yard fence with my weird stones collection :) ... it wasn't the tooth's fault ... it did its best!, it was undermined by the gums so I'm not bearing it any grudges ..

I had my first wisdom tooth taken from my lower jaw under local at the dentist, the others were done later in hospital under general. He cracked it with a chisel. I didn't feel a thing.

I had to go back a few weeks later as there was what I thought pieces of left over root poking from my gum. No, it was a couple of bits of my jawbone that had splintered off during the extraction.

I had my first wisdom tooth taken from my lower jaw under local at the dentist, the others were done later in hospital under general. He cracked it with a chisel. I didn't feel a thing.

I had to go back a few weeks later as there was what I thought pieces of left over root poking from my gum. No, it was a couple of bits of my jawbone that had splintered off during the extraction.
My dentist used a chisel and I remember thinking "Christ, this is going to hurt" but it was fine. I was they'd take the whole tooth out but it was just the roots. They look like a couple of shark's teeth if you turn them upside down. I've been swilling with corsodol and salt water as per instructions.

You're lucky if you've been prescribed antibiotics at all.
My doctor and my dentist won't prescribe antibiotics any more. I dunno how they think anybody's going to overcome an infection without them these days.
I now have a gum infection courtesy of my dentist, and she wouldn't give me anything.

You're lucky if you've been prescribed antibiotics at all.

My doctor and my dentist won't prescribe antibiotics any more. I dunno how they think anybody's going to overcome an infection without them these days.
I now have a gum infection courtesy of my dentist, and she wouldn't give me anything.

:(..
That doesn't sound right? .. I know that doctors and dentists are under criticism these days for over prescribing antibiotics but if you need them then you need them. It isn't as if they're not allowed to prescribe them ... Perhaps you should go back to your dentist and state your case ... say you've now got these specific symptoms: it's affecting your life, you've got the shakes, you've started to feel pain and that you haven't been able to keep down any food or fluids for the last couple of days or sleep much ... a doctor won't prescribe them to you and will tell you that it's because it's a dental matter. Good luck and let us know how you get on. They can't just keep ignoring you and brush you under the carpet. I wrote to a shadow health secretary once to get a mate proper treatment that had been refused so that's worth a go as well ... plus you get a cool official letter with a houses of parliament stamp on it in return as an added bonus .. let us know how you get on X

:(..
That doesn't sound right? .. I know that doctors and dentists are under criticism these days for over prescribing antibiotics but if you need them then you need them. It isn't as if they're not allowed to prescribe them ... Perhaps you should go back to your dentist and state your case ... say you've now got these specific symptoms: it's affecting your life, you've got the shakes, you've started to feel pain and that you haven't been able to keep down any food or fluids for the last couple of days or sleep much ... a doctor won't prescribe them to you and will tell you that it's because it's a dental matter. Good luck and let us know how you get on. They can't just keep ignoring you and brush you under the carpet. I wrote to a shadow health secretary once to get a mate proper treatment that had been refused so that's worth a go as well ... plus you get a cool official letter with a houses of parliament stamp on it in return as an added bonus .. let us know how you get on X
It hasn't quite got that bad, yet. I'm in pain when I eat, but I can handle it.
My thinking has been, take antibiotics to stop the infection getting worse - but they seem to only do it when things have got bad.

It hasn't quite got that bad, yet. I'm in pain when I eat, but I can handle it.
My thinking has been, take antibiotics to stop the infection getting worse - but they seem to only do it when things have got bad.
It's harder to bullshit a doctor if you have to get antibiotics because they can ask for a urine sample there and then to find out ... then send you off to hospital to get a blood test to test if you have or not. G.P.'s don't 'do' teeth problems full stop. In this instance, you aren't bullshitting because you have got an infection. A dentist obviously doesn't ask for urine samples or normally ask you to go for a blood test. Yes, neither doctor or dentist will prescribe antibiotics until things get bad as a pre-emptive measure (which would make sense) because, again, they are under pressure from higher authorities not to do so to slow down a growth in the population of people who become resistant .. this is an attempt to slow down things like super bugs (MRSA for example that requires barrier nursing) .. they're shit hot on that these days which might be why you're being messed around. Sadly, you need to lay it on a bit and play act .... if you go back to your dentists and tell them you've got the same symptoms I've said in my last post, put on the shakes a bit, exaggerate your pain and look extremely sorry for yourself, that usually works to get you some antibiotics .. those symptoms will more than likely happen to you in the future anyway as you're already aware, you'll simply be speeding up the whole process by doing this ..

My life has been blighted by my teeth for the last 18 months, when the first of my 30 year old crowns started causing problems.
It doesn't help matters that I've got chronically low blood platelets and am meant to go into hospital for extractions.
When this last crown cracked at Easter this year, and became infected, I took a deep breath and actually wrote to my hospital consultant to ask (beg!) to be allowed to have it out at my NHS dentist, to save waiting for months on end.

Well, gold stars all round, the hospital doctor went along with it, sent me blood-test envelopes and steroid prescriptions, and there I was at my ordinary, elderly, long -practiced, dentist yesterday, having my last two crowns removed.
Today I've been in MUCH less pain than when the actual hospital dentist did the same thing back in January -this despite the infection that just WOULD NOT clear up even after two lots of antibiotics from the dentist.

But a gloomy warning to all of you - I've now lost all four crowns, plus the one root canal filled tooth.
Nothing lasts forever, and I've now got a horrible temporary 'plate'.
(The hospital advised me not to consider implants because of my blood, and anyway I do suspect they may not be 100% foolproof.)

My life has been blighted by my teeth for the last 18 months, when the first of my 30 year old crowns started causing problems.
It doesn't help matters that I've got chronically low blood platelets and am meant to go into hospital for extractions.
When this last crown cracked at Easter this year, and became infected, I took a deep breath and actually wrote to my hospital consultant to ask (beg!) to be allowed to have it out at my NHS dentist, to save waiting for months on end.

Well, gold stars all round, the hospital doctor went along with it, sent me blood-test envelopes and steroid prescriptions, and there I was at my ordinary, elderly, long -practiced, dentist yesterday, having my last two crowns removed.
Today I've been in MUCH less pain than when the actual hospital dentist did the same thing back in January -this despite the infection that just WOULD NOT clear up even after two lots of antibiotics from the dentist.

But a gloomy warning to all of you - I've now lost all four crowns, plus the one root canal filled tooth.
Nothing lasts forever, and I've now got a horrible temporary 'plate'.
(The hospital advised me not to consider implants because of my blood, and anyway I do suspect they may not be 100% foolproof.)

You have my sympathy over the infections .. between the kidney stones and the bad tooth, I've had 6 infections over the last two years and they're not fun .. I hope you feel better soon.:(

Thanks, Swifty.

I passed a stone (I assume a kidney stone) about 15 years ago, and the pain was so great I seriously thought I was dying!

Actually, what I feel at the moment is incredibly relieved that yesterday is over, and I'm honestly not suffering.
I had dreadful pain after January's similar extractions in hospital -I reckon the dentist wasn't much cop!

At least with any further teeth that need to come out, there will be something for the dentist to get a proper hold on!

Thanks, Swifty.

I passed a stone (I assume a kidney stone) about 15 years ago, and the pain was so great I seriously thought I was dying!

Actually, what I feel at the moment is incredibly relieved that yesterday is over, and I'm honestly not suffering.
I had dreadful pain after January's similar extractions in hospital -I reckon the dentist wasn't much cop!

At least with any further teeth that need to come out, there will be something for the dentist to get a proper hold on!

I was told to alternate between swilling with Corsydil antiseptic mouth wash and salt water that dries out the fresh wound .. I still got yet another infection anyway but was able to shift it after about 4 days .. it's even worth bullshitting your dentist and paying the prescription fee for another 5 day course of antibiotics that you can then keep in your fridge in crafty emergency reserve .. that speeds up the process if you get another infection (fevered sweaty dreams, disjointed thoughts, feeling sick etc) .. I'd recommend putting it on and returning, play act being a bit shaky (and a dentist won't take a urine test) then keeping a stash ready in your fridge in case it returns .. that's worked for me so far anyway, skip the red tape mate ..

Sex and dentistry: I made a fellatio prosthetic for my mouth
Dentist-turned-artist Kuang-Yi Ku wants to change the way we think about medicine – and our mouths – with custom sex prosthetics. Frank Swain tried it out

To my right, a woman with pink hair is struggling to keep a cup of goopy blue silicone in her mouth. To my left, a man is fashioning tiny nipples from alginate. Around us all are eyeless dummies with mouths gaping in silent laughter at the scene. We’re in the dentistry school lab at King’s College London, which has been taken over for the day by Taiwanese artist Kuang-Yi Ku for his Fellatio Modification Project.

The workshop is part of a new exhibition in London by Science Gallery – a network of exhibition spaces focussed on art-science collaborations. The exhibition, called Mouthy: Into the Orifice, features a collection of installations, activities and lectures to explore the world of all things oral-maxillary. Having worked as a dentist for six years, Ku is now producing speculative design projects at the Design Academy in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.

Science doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to incorporating human sexuality into research and practice. Dentistry, for example, considers three functions for the oral cavity: aesthetics, pronunciation and mastication. “There is another function, sex, which is never mentioned in the textbooks,” says Ku. “I’m from the gay community and I realised that the medical school is a very patriarchal system, very serious, and the professors are very traditional, particularly in Asian countries. So I wanted to approach that relationship.”

Instead of treating disease and restoring normal function to the mouth, Ku imagines dentists enhancing it along one particular line, the act of performing fellatio. To do this, he created retainers which offer a more intense sexual experience for your (male) partner. ...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...id=SOC|NSNS|2016-Echobox#link_time=1478519981

and rather tongue in cheek?

Dentist seem to have a bad reputation .. we all know about the telling you to pay 20 quid for 5 minutes of telling you you're fine before they fuck off to the golf course thing .. then there's the groping female patient while they're under sedation thing .. and my childhood dentist was done for cocaine dealing as my Mum later told me although I got on with him and he was always kind to me when I was a nipper ..

Unnecessary anaesthesis - bad enough ... Billing fraud - bad enough ... Performing a tooth extraction while standing on a hoverboard - definitely beyond the pale ...
Prosecutors say Alaska dentist rode hoverboard at procedure

An Alaska dentist accused of fraud and unnecessarily sedating patients also performed a procedure while riding a wheeled, motorized vehicle known as a hoverboard ...

Prosecutors charged 34-year-old Seth Lookhart with felony Medicaid fraud and reckless endangerment.

A former patient testified Wednesday at his trial that she was angered when an investigator showed her an unauthorized 2016 video of Lookhart extracting one of her teeth while she was sedated and he was riding the hoverboard.

Veronica Wilhelm was “pretty livid” about the dentist’s actions, she testified.

“When did Dr. Lookhart get your approval to take out your tooth on a hoverboard,” prosecutor Joan Wilson asked in court.

“He never did. I obviously wouldn’t have approved that. That’s dangerous,” Wilhelm said.

Wilhelm also was angered that Lookhart sedated her son for a teeth cleaning, she said

Lookhart denied the felony fraud allegations but acknowledged some other accusations, including the hoverboard procedure, defense attorney Paul Stockler said.

Stockler described the dentist’s actions as “absolutely stupid.”

“But I’ve seen much more dangerous things where no doctor has been charged,” the lawyer said.

The Anchorage dentist unnecessarily sedated patients so he could inflate his Medicaid billing, authorities said.

Lookhart fraudulently billed Medicaid about $1.8 million dollars and stole $250,000 from his partners, authorities said.

A state board suspended Lookhart’s dentistry license in 2017. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/27ce19e0260f930dcbc62af8b121abfa

Unnecessary anaesthesis - bad enough ... Billing fraud - bad enough ... Performing a tooth extraction while standing on a hoverboard - definitely beyond the pale ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/27ce19e0260f930dcbc62af8b121abfa

Guilty!

United States An Alaskan dentist has been convicted of numerous “unlawful dental acts” including performing a tooth extraction from a sedated patient while riding a hoverboard.

Based on “simply overwhelming” evidence, Judge Michael Wolverton of the Superior Court in Anchorage found Seth Lookhart guilty on 46 charges, including reckless endangerment. It was alleged that Lookhart, 34, unnecessarily gave anaesthetics to patients to bill nearly $2 million in medical insurance payments.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...entist-on-a-hoverboard-found-guilty-gdx3w69jt

Update ...

The hoverboard dentist has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for fraud and embazzlement.
Anchorage dentist who defrauded Medicaid and extracted patient tooth while riding hoverboard sentenced to prison

An Anchorage dentist who extracted a patient’s tooth while on a hoverboard was sentenced Monday to 12 years in prison for dozens of charges including Medicaid fraud.

Seth Lookhart was captured on video extracting the tooth from the unconscious patient. Anchorage Superior Court Judge Michael Wolverton said Monday that Lookhart nearly killed several patients by frequently sedating them for extended periods of time.

“In reviewing all this over and over again, I have this visceral response — you darn near killed some people,” he said.

Lookhart was found guilty by a jury in January on 46 charges including Medicaid fraud, embezzlement, reckless endangerment and unlawful dental acts. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/cri...-while-riding-hoverboard-sentenced-to-prison/

A likely "Tsunami" of post-Covid dental problems, as people put off seeing the dentist.

My own little anecdote is that I was due a check-up at the end of March, but decided to put it off due to Covid-induced FOGO (fear of going out), only to break a tooth two or three weeks later. It was quite unpleasant, with a jagged bit rubbing against my tongue and a cavity that felt like the grand canyon, accumulating bits of food.
When the dentist reopened last month, I attended with trepidation, half expecting my dentist to say the tooth was too far gone to save, but he managed to patch it up. The relief when he said "right that's you all sorted for another six months" was palpable!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/dentists-fear-a-tsunami-of-post-lockdown-tooth-decay

Back