• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scared Of The Dentist? You Will Be!

I'd love to see my dentist but the last time I rang they were still only accepting emergency appointments, and told me to try again in a couple of months!

In the meantime one of my molars has fallen out. It was loose, but I still found it quite distressing. The corresponding molar on the other side is also wobbly...

@Mythpoeika, I too suffered from a dentist in Peterborough. My childhood dentist was, in my eyes, nothing more than a torturer, and did not have a good way with children. We would all go in together, my mum, my sister and I, and my sister said it was a fascinating experience watching me lie in the chair, my head perfectly still, but my body thrashing around indignantly. I bit him the first time I had to have an X-ray; he shoved that plastic plate into my gums really hard, so I just closed my mouth quite sharply on his fingers. IIRC, he actually laughed! He gave me a good pile of fillings, which may well have been justified (I liked dried fruit!), but also made me extremely wary of dentists. The next two we had up in Lincolnshire were nice, but I'm afraid my Devon experiences have not been great in respect of the fact that they tell me I have gum problems, but beyond keeping them as clean as possible and suffering the hygienist (how much for 20 minutes???), they have no other option to help me. I think that if I want somebody to actually treat my gums, I have to fork out thousands to a private dentist - and for somebody who dislikes the whole dentistry experience, that goes too far. WHY can't NHS dentists actually DO anything about such issues? :headbang:

I'd love to see my dentist but the last time I rang they were still only accepting emergency appointments, and told me to try again in a couple of months!

In the meantime one of my molars has fallen out. It was loose, but I still found it quite distressing. The corresponding molar on the other side is also wobbly...

@Mythpoeika, I too suffered from a dentist in Peterborough. My childhood dentist was, in my eyes, nothing more than a torturer, and did not have a good way with children. We would all go in together, my mum, my sister and I, and my sister said it was a fascinating experience watching me lie in the chair, my head perfectly still, but my body thrashing around indignantly. I bit him the first time I had to have an X-ray; he shoved that plastic plate into my gums really hard, so I just closed my mouth quite sharply on his fingers. IIRC, he actually laughed! He gave me a good pile of fillings, which may well have been justified (I liked dried fruit!), but also made me extremely wary of dentists. The next two we had up in Lincolnshire were nice, but I'm afraid my Devon experiences have not been great in respect of the fact that they tell me I have gum problems, but beyond keeping them as clean as possible and suffering the hygienist (how much for 20 minutes???), they have no other option to help me. I think that if I want somebody to actually treat my gums, I have to fork out thousands to a private dentist - and for somebody who dislikes the whole dentistry experience, that goes too far. WHY can't NHS dentists actually DO anything about such issues? :headbang:

Blimey! I would have thought that tooth loss constitutes a bona fide emergency!

I too had a horrible experience with a dentist in Cornwall when I was around 6 or 7. He extracted a bad molar, without sufficient (or possibly any if I recall) pain killer and it was absolutely dreadful.
Had a good NHS dentist for most of my adult life here in Hampshire but, after he retired, his replacement had a very rough manner and definitely took no prisoners. After he almost choked me with an x-ray plate rammed almost down my throat, I left his service on the spot. For the last 3 years I've been going to a private dentist that costs me maybe half as much again as NHS, but he is great and even last year's root canal work caused only minimal discomfort.

his replacement had a very rough manner and definitely took no prisoners.

I know somebody who went off to train as a dentist after completing his PhD, and he's a lovely chap, so why do so many dentists have an unfortunate way of dealing with people? Can they not enforce an empathy test when selecting candidates?

I know somebody who went off to train as a dentist after completing his PhD, and he's a lovely chap, so why do so many dentists have an unfortunate way of dealing with people? Can they not enforce an empathy test when selecting candidates?
I do rather think it's a profession that attracts people who see pound note symbols a lot. Not that I'm suggesting that of your friend, you understand.

My Mum has been told that her bleeding gums are a real problem. She's been told this as long as she can remember.
She's 83 and still has most of her teeth.

My gums bleed and the dentists say the same nonsense to me. I still have most of my teeth, too.

My Mum has been told that her bleeding gums are a real problem. She's been told this as long as she can remember.
She's 83 and still has most of her teeth.

My gums bleed and the dentists say the same nonsense to me. I still have most of my teeth, too.

Sadly I've seen my X-rays and there's some grim bone loss going on there!

Coincidentally I've just had another email from my dentist apologising for the lack of regular appointments, and having read the list of things that make you eligible, teeth just falling out does not apply...

My dentist is a lovely bloke - but I may be biased as he is the only person I have ever met who finds me hilarious (in a good way, I mean). I feel like I've done a really successful stand up routine when I leave the dentist - he finds everything I say really funny (and I don't think he's been at the drugs cabinet). Lovely bloke, better bedside (chair side) manner than anyone and has not given me a second's discomfort throughout a few different treatments.

My last dentist was lovely, as well although much of her work needed re-doing at later dates... she could give utterly discomfort-free injections no matter where in your mouth she stuck the needle. I got Denplan years ago as am too phobic to go to an NHS dentist that doesn't have the time (or the patience, in my unfortunate past experience) to cope with a weapons grade wuss. And only had nice dentists ever since I went private. If I could find an NHS dentist half as good as my fanceh ones, I'd leave them tomorrow and save the money but I've been going to the same one for a few years now, and I find it reassuring to walk in and the receptionist knows who I am, and just that level of extra attention etc that the NHS doesn't have time for.

The hygienists in the practice vary. One is very gung-ho; another a little brutal but went to the same uni as me so we have good stuff to chat about and the third one is my favourite but can't always get an appointment with her if I want to see the dentist at the same time.

Am overdue an appointment but assuming they are still too busy and if I tell them I had covid and still have symptoms even though I was probably last infective 6 months ago, I doubt they'll see me...

A Wisconsin dentist stands accused of fraud by telling patients they needed crowns and damaging their teeth to generate evidence for his insurance billing submissions.
Wisconsin dentist accused of breaking teeth in fraud scheme

A Wisconsin dentist is accused of damaging his patients’ teeth so that he could bill insurance companies for crown procedures.

Scott Charmoli, 60, of Grafton, was charged Tuesday in federal court with eight counts of health care fraud and two counts of false statements. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Charmoli is accused of falsely telling patients that they needed crowns and then using his drill to break off parts their teeth during the procedure. Charmoli submitted X-rays and photographs of the chipped teeth to insurance companies to obtain coverage for the crowns, the indictment says. ...

Authorities say Charmoli performed more than $2 million worth of crown procedures between January 2018 and August 2019. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/milwaukee-us-news-wisconsin-dbdc788f56759d5c8b92571eaa947949

I had to go to the dentist yesterday as I bit on something hard the other day - a peppercorn I think - & was in immediate agony as it hit a nerve in my lower back molar. Had 3 days of eating on one side - biting even softly on the affected tooth tweaked the nerve & was excruciating.

When I got there, the dentist told me the tooth had cracked as I suspected & had to come out. I had a couple of adrenaline injections to numb, but as soon as he touched it I was jumping out of the chair in shock. He kept giving me more injections but it seemed to make little difference. I was thinking maybe I'd have to go to hospital to get it extracted under general anaesthestic as I couldn't stand it. It made me think of Running Man & 'is it safe?'.

In the end I had 5 syringes of adrenaline & even then it twinged a bit - he had to use some force with pliers which removed some of it, then drilled out the rest. The whole side of my face was affected & I found it hard to even blink for one eye which I had to do manually for a while. I was well spaced out.

Now on antibiotics & still feel a bit iffy. It was an ordeal.

I had to go to the dentist yesterday as I bit on something hard the other day - a peppercorn I think - & was in immediate agony as it hit a nerve in my lower back molar. Had 3 days of eating on one side - biting even softly on the affected tooth tweaked the nerve & was excruciating.

When I got there, the dentist told me the tooth had cracked as I suspected & had to come out. I had a couple of adrenaline injections to numb, but as soon as he touched it I was jumping out of the chair in shock. He kept giving me more injections but it seemed to make little difference. I was thinking maybe I'd have to go to hospital to get it extracted under general anaesthestic as I couldn't stand it. It made me think of Running Man & 'is it safe?'.

In the end I had 5 syringes of adrenaline & even then it twinged a bit - he had to use some force with pliers which removed some of it, then drilled out the rest. The whole side of my face was affected & I found it hard to even blink for one eye which I had to do manually for a while. I was well spaced out.

What you needed was some novocaine

I broke the crown off of my wisdom tooth yesterday, luckily i can feel no pain what so ever

20210423_154150.png

Adrenaline injections ?
It's dental cocaine , novacaine they use .

Well I asked him what was in the injections & he told me adrenaline. I was surprised as I didn't know they used it. On looking it up I reckon you're closer - adrenaline seems to be used in some anaesthetics but in extremely small amounts, mixed with Novocaine or Lidocaine.

From here:

IF YOUR heart has started pounding after an injection at the dentist then you will know how unpleasant an experience this can be. This is part of the 'adrenaline reaction' and, along with a racing heart, you might also feel apprehensive and start sweating.

It isn’t dangerous but can be very disconcerting – especially when you weren't expecting it. So what's really happening? Well it’s to do with the adrenaline that’s added in with the local anaesthetic. It’s included because it temporarily narrows your blood vessels, which keeps the anaesthetic in the area for longer. That way, it gives your dentist more time to work on your tooth without you feeling it.

From here:

Seems the amount of adrenaline can be as small as 1:80,000.

Never knew it had adrenaline in them.
Maybe that's why they cannot give your too many. I once had 3 for a broken wisdom tooth out. I could still feel the torture instrument today Ching on the exposed nerve.... He wouldn't give me any more.
Went home without having it out.
Nasty experience . He was also a rough and unsympathetic type of dentist. Got a good one now.

Jesus even just reading these makes me feel peculiar

Is he telling the tooth?

A man has said he had to replace a broken crown using a £3.99 dentistry kit bought on the internet.

Antony Watson, from Bridlington, is not registered with an NHS dentist and said he cannot afford private treatment. Meanwhile, Alex Gray, from Lincolnshire, said he had now pulled out six teeth with pliers after failing to find an NHS dentist. A Department of Health spokesperson said the government was committed to improving access to dental care.

Mr Watson said his tooth broke over 20 years ago. It was crowned, but broke again when he bit into a cookie, he said. He said he "definitely couldn't afford" to pay for private treatment "on the spot", forcing him to look elsewhere for a solution.

In Bridlington, two dental practices have shut down in the past three months, leaving the town with only one NHS practice - although it is not taking on any new NHS patients. For those who are able to afford private treatment there are waiting lists.

Mr Watson said he did a search on the internet and there were a range of home dentistry kits on offer. "I picked the best one for me, which was probably one of the cheapest but also one of the easiest ones to do, and I thought yup, next day delivery, I'll have that."

The kit contained a 20g bag of plastic beads. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-64424975

Is he telling the tooth?

A man has said he had to replace a broken crown using a £3.99 dentistry kit bought on the internet.

Antony Watson, from Bridlington, is not registered with an NHS dentist and said he cannot afford private treatment. Meanwhile, Alex Gray, from Lincolnshire, said he had now pulled out six teeth with pliers after failing to find an NHS dentist. A Department of Health spokesperson said the government was committed to improving access to dental care.

Mr Watson said his tooth broke over 20 years ago. It was crowned, but broke again when he bit into a cookie, he said. He said he "definitely couldn't afford" to pay for private treatment "on the spot", forcing him to look elsewhere for a solution.

In Bridlington, two dental practices have shut down in the past three months, leaving the town with only one NHS practice - although it is not taking on any new NHS patients. For those who are able to afford private treatment there are waiting lists.

Mr Watson said he did a search on the internet and there were a range of home dentistry kits on offer. "I picked the best one for me, which was probably one of the cheapest but also one of the easiest ones to do, and I thought yup, next day delivery, I'll have that."

The kit contained a 20g bag of plastic beads. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-64424975
The man who extracted his own teeth... even if he went private, a tooth extraction is actually one of the cheaper procedures.

Back