• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scared Of The Dentist? You Will Be!

akaWiintermoon

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Taken from *THE SUN newspaper dated Wednesday, February 26, 2003, page 19.

'DENTIST' HURT KIDS

A BOGUS dentist pulled out children's teeth WITHOUT anaesthetic.
They were left screaming in agony at a clinic set up by Luis Penate.
He had proper euipment, wore a white coat, displayed fake qualification certificates - and ripped off medical insurers for £40'000 in fees.
Penate, 28, was rumbled when scores of parents became worried about his rough treatment of kids.
One ten-year-old had two teath pulled without any examination or pain-killing injections.
Another child had four teeth filled in an hour long ordeal after his parents were sent outside.
Penate faces fraud charges in Los Angeles and could spen up to 30 years in prison.
A lawyer said: "Little children were hurt. Many kids kids are now so terrified of dentists I doubt they'll ever go to one again."

I read that after my mum had told me she watched a horror film last night: 'The Dentist II' :eek!!!!:

*Not having been found in a litter tray or on a train but brought by ME. ;)

Wintermoon said:

Good for you, WM!
Not everyone here admits to their personal preferences!

What a horrifying item.
I remember once sitting in a dental surgery waiting room and hearing screams and groans of agony for a solid ten minutes.
The receptionist kept opening her window and shouting - "Don't worry! That kid always goes on like this." I was glad I was seeing the other dentist! :eek:

I once went to a dentist, when I was about 17, who asked me 'private or National Health'
I answered 'National Health ' and he injected my gum whilst I was standing in the waiting room. He then told me to sit in the chair and immediately began pulling the tooth
The anaestetic actually kicked in when I was on the bus on the way home - bleeding profusely

Having broken a tooth on the notorious "snack" of Pork Scratchings, i manged to struggle on for a few months without too much pain. Eventually, i had to visit the dentist to get something done about the blasted thing as it had become unbearably painful.

He examined me and informed me that if i make an appointment he would drill the tooth and then rebuild it at a cost of about £200 (this is on the NHS). Trying to make an appointment, i was told i would have to wait 3 months for the surgery.

The next week, i was in so much pain, i was forced to go to the Dental Hospital in Glasgow for an emergency appointment. The Dentist there took one look at the tooth, told me it was badly infected, and had been so for about 2 months! I was whisked away for urgent treatment where i was told that had my own dentist tried to drill the tooth, it would have shattered as there was no pulp left inside! One extremely painful extraction later (it came out in 3 bits) i was on my way home. All in the period of about 1 hour. And it was free!!

Needless to say, I no longer visit my old dentist.

As a child of about eight, I was told by the dentist that I needed a
tooth out and that she was going to have to put me to sleep. I had
heard this phrase used in connection with a pussy cat and thought
I knew what she really meant so I started hollering for my Mother,
who was in the waiting-room. Instead of giving in to this wimpish
demand, Miss Heathcote called for reinforcements in the shape of two other
dentists, who literally strapped me into the chair and held me still,
drowning my sobs with the gas-mask.

So far as I know, she was a fully qualified practitioner but her decision
to extract the tooth was a big mistake in itself and led to years of
further extractions and corrective work.

My brother also told me a dreadful story about a colleague who had
weekly appointments with his dentist for a period of about ten years.
It turned out to be the dentist's own work-creation scheme to compensate
for his falling patient list. Everyone else had noticed he was going mad and
voted with their feet - or should that be teeth? This young man ended up
with a face full of unnecessary metal-work and bills for several thousand
pounds but it never occurred to him to question the dentist's good faith. :eek!!!!:

oh i could tell u some stories about my "School Dentist".... but theo one i feelstarted my phobia is sitting in the chair chattering away as 7 yr olds do and haveing a gas mask clapped over my face with me flailing about helpless... and wakeing up minus four teeth. ..... they actuly offered me ice cream afterwards!... i was just in shock for weeks after and havent trusted dentists ever since.

sidecar_jon said:
oh i could tell u some stories about my "School Dentist"....

I lived in the country as a child an our school dentist arrived in a nasty looking green caravan...Its appearance always sent a shiver down my spine as I can still recall the dentist extracting a tooth with no aneasthetic whilst his assistant held me down.
As you can imagine I now visit the dentish about once a century..

Hello to all btw, its my first post here, shame its about dentists

DeGriz

DeGriz said:
I lived in the country as a child an our school dentist arrived in a nasty looking green caravan...Its appearance always sent a shiver down my spine as I can still recall the dentist extracting a tooth with no aneasthetic whilst his assistant held me down.
As you can imagine I now visit the dentish about once a century..

Hello to all btw, its my first post here, shame its about dentists

DeGriz

yes rather oddly they used only the most barbaric and unfealing ones as "school dentists" ah.... my first one was just starting out and just went ahead drilling etc wittering on about me knowing what she was up to despite my teath being manifestly unfilled... when i looked nervoiuse she started to talk about childrens telly programs and even sang about "champion the wonder horse" who id never heard of then.... the next time she had to have an asistant to hold me down. The she told me she was going to "spray somthing" behind my tooth, she came at me with a needle! i wasnt fooled and just refused to open my mouth.... How can people do this to kids?

My two kids have visited the dentist since they were toddlers and are unphased by checkups or any treatment they have to have.

Our dentist has some bubblegum flavoured local anaesthetic he rubs onto the gum before giving an injection. I've always been honest with them, telling them that sometimes you can feel the injections and you can feel what's going on, but it doesn't really hurt and they've accepted that.

Carole

sidecar_jon said:
yes rather oddly they used only the most barbaric and unfealing ones as "school dentists"

For this re-read as NHS or 'cheap ones.' ;)

Hi DGriz! :D

Wintermoon said:

humm takes a speciel person to hurt a child tho.... and i dont think it does hurt nowdays realy.... and no i havent got over my phobia of them either lol.... i can recoment the temport fillings even if they do taste slightly of coal tar....

Wintermoon said:

Cheap does not mean Bad. Let me tell you.

A few years ago I started with a private dentist. ( Scottish short brown hair and Glasses). He said one of my premolars needed a filling renewed. trustingly I agreed and paid the $50. After a little while I went back saying something was wrong as it did not feel right and pained occasionally... So he repaired it and said (Knowingly I now think). If it needs more work then you will need a crown. Of course it did, the whole side fell off and he claimed no responsibility as it was the tooth that broke (with perhaps a little demolition before hand). So I fork out $500 for a nice crown. After a month I have to visit a couple of times because it started paining again and each time he did something in there with his drill. Next Time I go to this practise, this dentist is no longer there and I find out later he left in a hurry one day back to the UK. ( I think someone threatened him).
Anyway by now this same tooth is really painfull so I see the other dentist at this practise, another Brit. HE says "You need a root Canal" I am in Agony so of course I want it done. He says "OK we will drill straight through the ($500) Crown". I am in real pain but just as he is setting up his drills etc I remember to ask How much it will cost "$750 !" Says He. The pain momentarily lifts... I immediately say "Forget that just pull the damn thing out, no way is it worth $1250 to keep it". He then says; can you believe it. "No I can not do that its Unethical" So I said " You Mean Unprofitable". and of course he sort of smirked. So I left, agony and all and by luck came accross a very good Indian dentist who took the pain away and would take the tooth out if I wished but as she was prepared to remove the crown and only charged $120 for the Root Canal I kept it. She is a really good Dentist Charges about a fifth the price. You have to remember to ask for anesthetic though ( Not root Canals obviously).
Now I am quite happy to have most fillings without injection, obviously its painfull but at least you don't end up chewing your tongue/cheek, and feeling woosy, and after so much pain when it stops and you leave the chair you feel really alert and alive.....

About time this thread was resurrected!
Last Updated: Wednesday, 7 March 2007, 17:49 GMT
Brown's painful trip to dentist

Chancellor Gordon Brown has allowed a dentist to drill through to deep nerve tissue beneath his teeth without using an anaesthetic.
Mr Brown made the apparently painful decision because he did not want his mouth to freeze up just hours before he was due to deliver a speech.

The root canal work was carried out by Mervyn Druain of Belsize Park, London.

He told The Sun newspaper that Mr Brown had been "perfectly relaxed" and "did not flinch or grimace at any stage".

Crown, sir?

The chancellor spoke three hours later on the issue of citizenship training for migrants.

The operation on Mr Brown, the favourite to succeed Tony Blair as prime minister, will remind some seasoned cinema-goers of a gory scene in the 1976 hit film Marathon Man.

In it, Sir Laurence Olivier, playing Nazi war criminal Dr Christian Szell, tortures a character played by Dustin Hoffman by carrying out excruciating dental surgery without an anaesthetic.

But a spokesman for the British Dental Association said Mr Brown's experience was unlikely to have been as gruesome.

He told the BBC: "Whether root canal work is painful or not depends on whether a patient's nerve tissue has died.

"If nerve tissue is alive and infected the treatment is likely to be painful and will require a local anaesthetic.

"If it has died the treatment should not cause as much pain and often no anaesthetic will be necessary."

Former prime minister John Major had to have an impacted wisdom tooth removed in 1990, shortly before the Conservative Party elected him its new leader in succession to Margaret Thatcher.

It is believed this operation involved anaesthetic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6428127.stm
He needn't have bothered - no-one can understand him anyway! :D

Oooh, dentist horror stories! I have a couple of tales, one happened to me and one to my sister.

I had a dead tooth, which was a sort of grey colour - I think I fell over as a kid and knocked it or something. I believed it was going to just have something stuck on the front to make it look ok. They started up with the whirring whining tools (I thought it was like sanding a surface before painting it, to make sure it sticks). After a while, they stopped for a minute, and I closed my mouth, only to discover a great gap where my tooth had been until they completely drilled it out. They stuck a false one in, but it was a bit of a surprise to discover the original had completely gone!

Worse was what happened to my sister. In her early/mid teens, she needed to have braces, and various things done to arrange her teeth properly, as some were too close together. She went to the dentist, who was supposed to remove (I think) 4 teeth, to make space in her gob for adult ones to end up in the right places. In the end, he removed 7 teeth, including several healthy ones which were in the correct places (and I think left some of those which were meant to be extracted). So she ended up with huge gaps, and had to have braces for far longer than originally intended. She's now in her mid-twenties, and only finished having orthodontic treatment a year or two ago because of the cock-up.

Urgh...dentists...
Some can be terrible but fortunately mine is quite good. I loathe the noise of the drill though..*shivers*
I've had root canal surgery before due to a filling falling out and me not noticing and it's incredibly unbearably painful...not least because I'm very resistant to the anaesthetics dentists use. I ended up getting about 15 injections before eventually just telling him to get on with it. I had injections in the gum (various places) , the side of the tongue, the cheek, INSIDE the tooth (repeatedly for each root) and while all the flesh was numb I could still feel the drill going into the roots. "Does it hurt?" "NGGARGH"
It's only been matched in pain to the time I inadvertantly caught a flaming roman candle firework ball in my hand. (cue crispy skin and nasty burns)

I have two dentist stories, which I trot out for every dentist thread since 2001. :) My mother in law's dentist drilled through her lip- and then sent her a bill for the stitches. My husband, as a child, fell into the hands of a rogue dentist who gave all his molars one long continuous filling. He was later struck off leaving most of his patients with years of unnecessary repair work ahead of them.
Surprisingly though it's me, and not them, who's terrified of dentists. They make me go.

The last time I went to a dentist I was told I would need several fillings, and at least two teeth removed, due to decay and infection. If I didn't have the work done it would get worse and I'd probably lose most of my teeth very shortly. When I asked if they could do the work there & then, they said I had to make another appointment which I never got round to doing.
That was almost 20 years ago, and I've still got all my own teeth, with no gaps, holes or fillings...

I'd completely forgotten about this post, and funnily enough, I saw the dentist yesterday.
If I have a fear bigger than agoraphobia, it's the dentist. I had a check up due yesterday and was absolutely terrified as I'd been experiancing pain. (Luckily I haven't had to have treatment for well over a decade. Phew! :) ) The dentist was due between 1.30 and 2.00 pm, and I spent the entire morning hyperventalating and having panic attacks.
Thank God, truely, turns out my teeth and gums are fine, it was a jaw problem. PPPPPHHHHHEEEEEWWWWW! :) I was in such a state yesterday though that I haven't managed to fully calm down yet.

I had a bad experience with a dentist once. I needed a filling but had an unobserved abscess - which, for some unknown reason, means that the needled anaesthetic didn't take.

I was about 8 at the time (they'd just stop gassing kids 'cos too many of them were dying) and you can't imagine the pain!

They've been at it again! (Why are fake dentists always men?!)

From BT Yahoo! news:

Malaysia ends fake dentist's 29-year career

Reuters - Wednesday, August 15 06:01 amKUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) -

Malaysian police have arrested a man who practised as a dentist for 29 years although he had no medical training and treated patients at his home in a cast-off examining chair.

The impostor's closest brush with the dental profession was during the years 1962 to 1978, when he assisted an army dentist by carrying his bag on visits to plantation workers' homes, the New Straits Times reported on Wednesday.

"I watched the doctor diagnose and treat problems with teeth," the paper quoted the unidentified man as saying when officials raided his home this week.

"I also saw how he would extract teeth and make models and measurements for dentures."

The 63-year-old man, who convinced his neighbours he was a retired army dentist after being told he was too old to work as a dentist's assistant, charged 20 ringgit (2.88 pounds) for extractions and 130 ringgit for dentures, the paper said.

Health officials seized antibiotics, painkillers, syringes and bottles of Chinese medicine during the raid, but they needed more than six men to carry off his 1940s-era examining chair, tossed away by the Malaysian army in 1978. The paper said the raid occurred after a tip-off.

The man has been arrested for illegally practising dentistry and will face charges under Malaysia's private healthcare facilities and services act. He could face a fine of up to 30,000 ringgit or a six-year jail term, or both.

He did provide one unique service, however. "I also make house visits," he told the paper.

I am so phobic about dentists it ain't funny. My current dentist has to give me nitrous oxide (laughing gas) before just cleaning my teeth-otherwise he knows I'll be hoofing it out to the parking lot flagging down cops!!! :lol: :lol:

I can thank a dentist I had in childhood for this phobia--I was terrified of him. I don't remember what he did to me exactly (probably blocked it out due to the horror lol)but a friend of mine said he slapped her once!!!

Let's feed the dentists to the sharks, okay? Only sharks won't attack dentists--professional courtesy, ya know. :p

I'm not phobic about dentists, but I definitely don't trust them.

I have a few stories to tell:

(1) I went to a dentist in Peterborough. The man injected my gum badly - he pushed the needle in so hard it bent, and it hit the root. Some time after, the root got infected and my face swelled up. I got rid of the pus myself by making a hole in the gum. After 18 months of suffering with occasional re-infection, I went to a much better dentist in Cambridge who did root canal work to remove the infected tissue.
Sometime after this, the tooth just broke apart one day - so I had to have the tooth replaced with a crown. It's fine now.

(2) Years ago, I used to go to a really good (honest) dentist, but he moved and we lost touch with him for a while. In the meantime, while my parents were looking for him, I went to another dentist. This dentist took one look at my fillings and told me that they'd all have to be replaced. They took all day to drill the darn things out and then put in some shoddy, crumbly replacements. They started falling apart from day one.
When my parents found our good dentist, he was shocked - 'these are not my fillings - who did this?'. So we told him. He spent ages replacing the dodgy fillings with his own superior handiwork.

(3) The same dodgy dentist I described in (2) tried to steal a family friend's gold fillings. After a conversation with us about this dentist, she went back and demanded that they return her fillings, which had quite a high scrap value. She had to have them put back in at great expense.

(4) My father hadn't been to a dentist for 20 years, but my mother persuaded him to go for a checkup. The dentist told him, 'your teeth are in good condition, but you need the hygienist to clean them'. So my father had the hygienist clean his teeth. She scraped and drilled about all over his teeth.
The next time my father went into the dentist for a checkup, he was told that he needed 2 fillings...

(5) The last time I went to a dentist was 5 years ago. The dentist was from Sweden, and had a strange manner about her. They wouldn't take me on as an NHS patient, but I needed work done desperately, as I was in pain - so I went private.
This awful woman ignored my pleas for a specific tooth to be filled, and decided to do another tooth instead. And another tooth, before she did the one I came about. It cost me a lot of money before the pain went.
And then this awful woman showed me an X-ray and told me that my wisdom teeth had huge cavities and needed to be removed, necessitating an expensive hospital visit. I told her that I wasn't an expert in viewing X-rays, but I couldn't see any cavities and I couldn't feel them either. I left there, never to return. I still have my wisdom teeth, and have experienced no problems with them so far.

So, my warning is this - don't ever trust a dentist unless you get a good recommendation.

I'm always nervous when I go to the dentist. I was ok as a child until I had to have a couple of teeth removed when I was 9 - to make room in the jaw we were told. I was given a needle and left while he attended to other patients.
When he returned I told him I didn't feel like it was numb enough but he ignored this and tried to force open my mouth.
He brought in his asistant who held me down while the dentist forced his fingers inside my mouth. I still remember how fat and soft they were as I bit them.
I didn't have the teeth taken out that day and soon after we found another dentist that I went to till years later when he was quite old and he drilled my daughter's wrong tooth.
We found a nice dentist closer to home and went to him till he moved and a woman dentist bought the practice.She was so bad my children cried when she cleaned their teeth. She took out one of my fillings and replaced it as she said there was something wrong with it and I was in so much pain for days I had to go to my doctor.
I never returned to have all the other work she said I needed done and now we attend a lovely dentist my doctor recommended that he went to. I used to get letters from the woman for some time saying I needed to return to have the necessary work done on my teeth which I have never needed.

I was just catching up on this thread eariler and then came across this from BTYahoo! news:

Veil row dentist found guilty

Press Assoc. - 2 hours 40 minutes ago

A dentist who told a female patient she could not receive treatment from him unless she wore "appropriate Islamic dress" has been found guilty of serious professional misconduct.

Dr Omer Butt, registered in Prestwich, Greater Manchester, received an admonition following a three-day disciplinary hearing of the General Dental Council in London in which he was found guilty of discriminating against the woman named only as Ms A.

Stewart Goulding, chairman of the GDC professional conduct committee, told Dr Butt that his conduct had fallen short of the standard expected of a dentist in that he had not put the interests of patient A first on April 18, 2005.

But he said the committee had noted testimonials from patients and mitigation that he had put before them. The committee had also heard there had not been any previous disciplinary hearings against him, he said.

Concluding the case, he said: "In deciding on sanction the committee has considered the options available starting with the least serious.

"The committee is satisfied that the appropriate decision is to conclude the case today with this admonition.

"As a member of a caring profession, a dentist has a responsibility to put the interests of patients first.

"The professional relationship between dentist and patient relies on trust and the assumption that a dentist will act in the best interests of the patient.

"In the light of the committee's finding of facts, it is apparent that on April 18, 2005 your conduct fell short of the standard expected of a dentist in that you did not put the interests of patient A first.

"The effect of your actions on this occasion was to impede patient A's access to local dental services."

i posted the earlier report of that on the wtf thread... i'm glad the bugger got nailed for it...

akaWiintermoon said:

'DENTIST' HURT KIDS

A BOGUS dentist pulled out children's teeth WITHOUT anaesthetic.
They were left screaming in agony at a clinic set up by Luis Penate.
He had proper euipment, wore a white coat, displayed fake qualification certificates - and ripped off medical insurers for £40'000 in fees.
Penate, 28, was rumbled when scores of parents became worried about his rough treatment of kids.
One ten-year-old had two teath pulled without any examination or pain-killing injections.
Another child had four teeth filled in an hour long ordeal after his parents were sent outside.
Penate faces fraud charges in Los Angeles and could spen up to 30 years in prison.
A lawyer said: "Little children were hurt. Many kids kids are now so terrified of dentists I doubt they'll ever go to one again."

I read that after my mum had told me she watched a horror film last night: 'The Dentist II' :eek!!!!:

:shock: :wow:

:shock: :wow: OMG!!!

Love your avatar!!! :lol: very cute

Yeah, it is kind of amazing anyone would willingly buy The Sun, and then admit to it on a public forum.

I dont want be reminded of dentists just now: I have a loose tooth and I hope it will just go away. If I leave money under my pillow willthe Tooth Fairy come and take my tooth?

Back