• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Experience You've Ever Had

Kezz2007

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Me and my boyfriend went out today, and on the way to a supposed haunted location, (Northwood Park), we decided to tell each other our scary experiences. Whether or not the experiences we had MAY have been our imagination, some of them he told me left tingles down my spine.

So, I was wondering what your most scariest experience was.

(I enjoy reading them. Obviously. :roll: :p)

Greetings,

By far the scariest thing I ever had happen as far the paranormal was...

1973, Fairfield, Ohio.

I was 12 years old and alone in the house with my cat. My Mother and my two brothers were at church. I think it was about 8:00p.m.
The house was built for my Father around 1963/64. A typical suburban middle-class two story four bed room on a one acre lot. ( cost only $12,000, now that is scary! ;) The bedrooms were upstairs, mine being at the dead end of the hallway.
As I lay on the sofa watching television I thought I heard a shuffling sound upstairs in my bedroom, my cat was sitting with me purring so I thought it must be one of the other cats in my room. I tried to keep the other cats out of my room because they would often knock my models over.
I shouted up towards the ceiling " Get out of my room!" It got real quiet, I mean it got so quiet that you could feel the silence. after about a few seconds there was a loud "thump" from above I then shouted " Get out!!!" as loud as I could, then it happened.
First I heard the door to my room slam open then slam shut.
Next came the scream. it was the shrillest sound I had ever heard. It started out down the hall and was moving towards the stairway, as it got closer it got louder, so loud that it hurt my ears. My cat was digging her claws into my arm and stood up and we both ran out the back door and into the field behind the house.
I stayed outside until my kin came home about a hour later.

Nothing has ever filled me with such a feeling fear. I hope it never happens to me again. The strange thing is, I can go for years and not think about that night but when I do I never wonder if running for my life was a good idea.

PEACE!
=^..^=217

For a second I read that last bit as "I wonder if running fo rmy life was a good idea". Um.. yes!

Awesome story though. Did you stay in that house for much longer? And did anyone else have any experiences?
Sorry if it sounds like I've giving the third degree, this is just a really greatly interesting story. :D

Greetings,

Hello Lauren.

I feel like I am “coming out of the closet “here (and it feels good)

To answer your questions, yes and no.
I was the only one that was plagued by that house. (My younger brother did have an imaginary friend named Charlie the monster)
The coming out part is, I grew up with a poltergeist.
For the first 15 years of my life I and my kin had to put up with “things” around me.
The scariest was the fires that would start when I was mad. Towels in the bath would flame up if I was mad. Not very often but enough that my brothers knew not to piss me off.
I, and others have seen things move and float like a Frisbee. If it was just me I would think I was crazy.
There is more to this life than many of us will ever know.
The noisy ghost comes from within.

I am working on, and intend to recount all of the things that happened to me as a youth.
I don’t really think I was ever dealing with demons or ghosts. I think it was more of a matter of electrical vibrations and the way we as humans interact with them.
It’s not easy having seen things that all sense of reason tells you, “That can’t be real.”
To try to understand the sights and sounds that I experienced as a child has lead me to explore many cultures. I have not found an end to my quest, which brought me to this board in the first place.

I guess the worst thing about that time was the whispering…
I used to hear my Mother call my name from the basement of that house, and she would be outside. My brother heard it too.
My brother is very close to me and he is my best witness. He will not talk about those days, all he says is “That was a long time ago”

I thank the powers that be here for the space to be able to come out and say that, “Yes Virginia. There is a poltergeist.”

PEACE!
=^..^=217

I'll third it :D

I know a bit about seeing things completely contrary to your own (and others') view of a normal world. I've posted tonnes on my own experiences, which aren't really a lot different to most other peoples' so I won't bother rehashing it all here, but suffice it to say, weird shit is out there, and it's not overly hidden.

Anyway, I'm watching this board. I wanna hear everyone else's stories! *gets popcorn and sits back*

I've had lots of weird experiences, but they don't scare me. ;)

I've had two intensely scary episodes. One was the result of me being an idiot and I have no explanation at all for the other.

The first one happened when I was about 12 years old. My mum was going up the road to her friend's house, told me not to watch 'that film' ('that film being The Omen) and not to lock the front door as she wasn't taking her key.

Anyway, I went up to bed, taking the portable telly with me and locked the front door on the way. I curled up under the duvet to watch the film and then when it was done turned off the TV and rolled over because the screen glowed and it scared me a bit.

I'd not had the TV off for very long but I was just dropping off when I heard a tapping on the bedroom window. Scary, especially as it was a first floor bedroom.

To say it scared the bejeebus out of me would be a gross understatement. I was petrified and in my twelve-year-old mind asked whatever it was to leave me alone and take my little brother - I was a selfish little so-and-so!

After a bit the sound stopped. It had seemed to go on forever. Shortly after it started again, stopped then started again on the front door. Somewhere I found the courage to get out of bed, turning all the lights on as I went. I found something heavy from my bedroom floor, wrapped my dressing gown round me and stood on the landing. After several "wh-wh-wh-who"s I heard my mum angrily shout for me to let her in. She'd been knocking on the window with the washing-line prop. Needless to say, she sent me back to bed with a flea in my ear!

The second incident happened probably about five or six years ago now while I was still married.

The ex would often stay downstairs late watching rubbish on late-night TV while I went to beg.

This particular night was no exception and I went up about an hour or so before him. Being very tired I dropped off quickly. The next thing I knew was a big black thing in the doorway of the bedroom. I mean, my ex is 6'4", but this was huge and filled the doorway to the top and down the sides. It also had glowing red eyes. I was so petrified all I could do was scream.

All I remember after that was being shaken awake by the ex having given him a big fright too. He said that what had happened was he'd come up, opened the door and said "I've come to bed now, it's only me" or something similar and that's when I'd started screaming. Neither of us had an explanation for it, except I knew for certain that it was NOT him in the doorway of the bedroom that night.

I don't know for certain, but it could have something to do with the fact that I have been plagued by nightmares of some description or other all my life (or at least from being about 3 or 4 years old). I still get them now on occasion and usually wake up in tears from the dream.

Gipsy_Queen said:
The ex would often stay downstairs late watching rubbish on late-night TV while I went to beg.

Oh, if that's not a Freudian slip, I'll buy you a Gran Corona cigar....

I think this is Hypnagogia - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogic_state - A friend of mine who was a sleep researcher tells me it's not that uncommon when you are awakened suddenly from certain phases of sleep - the idea is that you are still dreaming...

Strangely enough, the scariest experience I ever had was part of a dream...back in the mid-90's, when my OH and I were living in our first house. I had had a peculiar and convoluted dream about cycling into a village on a summer's evening, and visiting a church where people were gathered, and thinking that we were being visited by angels or something...it then transposed that people were being killed in this village and something appeared near the altar...a hooded figure, and the denouement of the dream was that the figure threw back its hood and was some kind of skeletal fiend. At this point in my dream I screamed, which woke me up, and I was sitting bolt upright, screaming in a whisper (if that makes sense) and I saw, just for a second,the skeletal fiend was standing in the corner of my bedroom, by the door...

Freaked the hell out of me! I lay back down and moved a bit closer to the OH's back!!

Thinking about it, it's an image very reminiscent of that ghost photo in a church, the one with the hooded figure with the "Scream"-like face by the altar...I really dislike that picture, if I come across it suddenly it actually scares me!

I have two, both could be my mind, I have severe psychiatric issues.

When I was a child, I was terrified of the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs. I would run past it, hinking there was a mummy inside. One day, my brother and I tried to pluck up the courage to open the cupbaord, which, to my knowledge, had never been opened. We tried to pen it, and failed, so I looked through the keyhole. AND SOMEONE LOOKED BACK.

I was so frightened, I ran down the stairs and fell, badly huting my ankle.

The other was from a couple of years ago. I am morbidly terrified of my bathroom at home, oddly, containing another airing cupboard. I cannot to this day be alone in the bathroom, when I have to wash, my mother has to sit outside and talk to me. I will be 23 in May 08. I just have this horrible feeling someone died there. Anyway, I had plucked up the courage to have a bathe when no-one was in the house, and I was fine until I started thinking about it. God, I am getting paranoid as I type! I started feeling edgy, so decided to start draining the water, getting dry etc. As I stepped out of the bath, I looked at the frosted window, and there was someone looking in. A human face pushed up against the glass, two hands either side. I screamed and ran to my room, naked and ripping, and was hysterical. My mum must have heard me and came running up. She asked what the problem was, calmed me down etc. She said there couldn't have been anyone there, because our bathroom window leads onto the kitchn roof in the back garden, and she was out chatting to a neighbour the whole time. There is no way someone could have got off that roof without her noticing.....

Sorry for any spelling errors.

bugmum said:
At this point in my dream I screamed, which woke me up, and I was sitting bolt upright, screaming in a whisper (if that makes sense) and I saw, just for a second,the skeletal fiend was standing in the corner of my bedroom, by the door...

In films and TV shows, whenever anyone has a nightmare they always wake up sitting bolt upright staring wildly ahead and occasionally crying out, but you've actually done this in real life! Anyone else do this? I usually thought "Only in the movies..."

celticrose said:
..... I looked at the frosted window, and there was someone looking in. A human face pushed up against the glass, two hands either side.....

Couldn't it have been your own reflection?
By frosting do you mean you can't see through it and it's like a white sheet, or is it just blurry?

(By and by, if it had "two hands either side" I think that would give it four hands.)

It was the kind of glass you generally get in bathrooms, with a weird effect on so you can't see in clearly. Yes, one hand, one side, sorry. Unless the figure was a naked 18 year old girl standing 4 foot away from the glass, no it wasn't my reflection. It was at about knee height, as it crouched on the floor.

Oh, then it does sound like a perv who figured out how to avoid being spotted by your mom... sorry, that is in fact more scary than a ghost! The eye in the airing cupboard makes me wonder though - if there was no light in the airing closet you should not have been able to see anything.

Greetings,

(By and by, if it had "two hands either side" I think that would give it four hands.)[/quote]

Come on Mark, you know what was meant.

PEACE!
=^..^=217

(By and by, if it had "two hands either side" I think that would give it four hands.)
BuckeyeJones said:
Come on Mark, you know what was meant.

PEACE!
=^..^=217

Wouldn't have asked if I was completely sure what the OP had seen. If it was something supernatural, four hands would be as expected as two. However two is what you'd expect for a climbing miscreant, thus my conclusion.

gncxx said:
bugmum said:
At this point in my dream I screamed, which woke me up, and I was sitting bolt upright, screaming in a whisper (if that makes sense) and I saw, just for a second,the skeletal fiend was standing in the corner of my bedroom, by the door...

In films and TV shows, whenever anyone has a nightmare they always wake up sitting bolt upright staring wildly ahead and occasionally crying out, but you've actually done this in real life! Anyone else do this? I usually thought "Only in the movies..."

I have! I was on a college trip to Paris, and my friend crept into our room at two in the morning. Apparently I suddenly sat bolt upright and stared at her. It scared the life out of her!

gncxx said:

I've done this, too. I seem to recall I've done it more than once, but the only time I can remember offhand was because of a pretty stupid nightmare, too. :roll: I was dreaming a daddy long legs spider was coming down from the ceiling towards my face. Woke my then-boyfriend up with my scream.

Totally stupid one. I spent a small amount of time living at my mothers about 10 years ago. I was working shifts and sometimes got in at around 2.30 in the morning. Consequently, she would pull the phone socket out by the side of my bed so I wasn't disturbed in the morning. One night she forgot to unplug it. Around six in the morning she crept into my room to unplug the socket. I was in a deep sleep, but felt a prescence nearby. On opening my eyes I saw a face around 2 inches from my face and screamed the house down. She went downstairs with her heart beating like a drum, but on getting downstairs couldn't stop laughing. :roll:

I often dream I'm in a haunted house. The house itself seems infected, and I'm filled with dread being in there. Things would move around, there'd be voices, and if I ever awake from one of these dreams I usually end up huddled under my duvet absolutely terrified, until I'm awake enough to realise that its not real.

However, I have had at least two paranormal experiences, and funnily enough, they weren't in the least frightening.

The first one I've already posted here -
http://www2.forteantimes.com/forum/view ... hp?t=35558

The more recent one was about 3 or 4 years ago in my mother in law's cottage in Norfolk. We were sitting in the kitchen eating lunch when someone started thumping about on the floor above us. It sounded like a an adult or a teenager running and jumping about in the bedroom. I hadn't really noticed the noise until I suddenly realised that there was noone upstairs, we were all in the kitchen including my teenage daughter. My M-in-law said "it's the ghost" and that this happened quite often, and usually when she had visitors.

So I sat and listened for a bit. It had become quite frantic by now. I decided to go upstairs and confont it - whatever it was. As I went up I could hear clearly the banging coming from the OTHER bedroom now. I went into the bedroom and now could hear the banging on the ceiling above me. Once I was fully in the bedroom the banging went on all around me - on the ceiling and on all the walls and it was utterly frantic, no longer like footsteps, but like someone having a massive superhuman fit.

I satyed for a minute or two, and then went back downstairs, whereupon the banging stopped.

Although I wasn't scared at the time, I have shivers going through me now as I tell this, and although I have been back, and I have never heard the "ghost" again, just being in the building scares me, especially at night.

My ex-wife very matter of factly told me once that she sees ghosts pretty much constantly, and only recently she has started pointing them out to me, becasue of my obvious interest.

One night sitting in our living room she became distracted, and was occasionally looking up at something through the window. she said - there's something looking at us. She told me that it was looking at us whenever we weren;t looking at it, and that it was as fascinated by us as we would be by it. She didn't tell me what it was though - mercifully - only that it had now gone, and I'd probably scared it away by going up to the window and peering at it.

I couldn;t sleep that night.

First, thank you for telling about the event at your mother's house: quite interesting.

StevieNice said:
She didn't tell me what it was though - mercifully - only that it had now gone, and I'd probably scared it away by going up to the window and peering at it.

I couldn;t sleep that night.

Second: is your wife known to have an unusual sense of humor?

;)

StevieNice, were you married to Jennifer Love Hewitt? ;)

I'm sure I've told this story on these boards before, but here's the scariest thing I can think of that ever happened to me.

By way of background, I was prone to nightmares as a kid (probably 'cause I'm bipolar), and the fact that my family was in a Pentecostal church didn't help - you know, firm beliefs in the activities of demons and doomsday scenarios (one of my nightmares, straight from the Book of Revelation, was that the sun and moon turned to blood and fell out of the sky).

Anyway, when I was in college, my grandfather died. After returning from his funeral, I remember staying up late in the co-op I was living in, talking to one of the guys in the house about who knows what. Suddenly, he started getting really freaked out and said, "Oh my god, your face is changing!" and couldn't look at me anymore. We both quickly retired to our respective rooms for the night, but I had a really hard time getting to sleep!

I wish now that we'd talked about it the next day - I wish I knew what he'd seen! I wonder if it was just eye fatigue, it being late at night and we were in a large, fairly dark room with just a floor lamp for lighting. However, still being under the influence of my Pentecostal upbringing and also still being an untreated bipolar (didn't know my diagnosis yet, either), I was afraid to find out what he saw in case it was somehow demonic! As I recall, he and I both just acted as if nothing had happened, which is pretty strange in itself. Maybe he didn't remember? Maybe he was having a hypnagogic experience? (Maybe my conversation had bored him to sleep?)

BTW, I don't mean to disparage all Pentecostals. Most I know are very sensible people. Like any other group, there are a few bad apples... But I'm Episcopalian (Anglican) now, and much more secure in my faith (God is love) - and much more agnostic about demons and angels and the like.

When I was about 19-20, my family was leasing a house that was literally out in the middle of nowhere, with the nearest neighbor being about a mile down the unpaved dirt road. We'd lived there for about five or six years, and being a college student, I was always popping in and out at all hours, and would usually nod-off on the sofa watching TV in the living room. As a result, while I would listen to music and watch my own television in my room, I generally never slept in there, as the room itself gave off a vibe of just not being "right".

One summer, several of my cousins had come to stay with us, and this was a big deal for all of us, as we lived spread out across the country, so getting all of us together at the same time under one roof was quite a big deal.

It was decided that four of my cousins would stay in my room for the duration of the visit, and one evening, I returned home from town at roughly one or two in the morning, quietly crept down the hall in order not to wake them, and opened the door to my room to leave my bookbag and other items from school on the floor, not switching the light on in case they were sleeping.

I immediately heard whispering and giggling, and asked in a low voice, "So are all you guys awake?" to which I received no response. The giggling began again, followed by a whispered "Watch this, wait, look what's he's doing". At this point, convinced that my cousins were screwing with me, I reached over and flipped the light switch - nothing. The bulb had burned-out. I then opened the door, which filled my room with light from the hallway.

I was alone.

My cousins were all gathered in the living room, watching television, and had been nowhere near that part of the house.

To this day, I can still clearly remember the exact sound of those giggles and whispers. I didn't see a ghost, or anything monstrous, but the idea that someTHING(s) were in that room with me, in the dark, still sends chills down my spine to this day.

Back