• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scariest Programme When You Were A Kid (Or Indeed A Nipper)?

A

Anonymous

Scariest programme when u was kid ?

When you were a kid, growing up in the '60s, '70s or early '80s do you remember any particular programme, advert etc that really scared you ?
I used to hate the TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED music, and was freaked out by kids programmes such as "Chocky" (weird floating-ghost type thing - remember ?), and CHILDREN OF THE STONES. I musta dmit that I was allowed to watch scarier stuff such as the Hammer House Of Horror episodes and M.R. James BBC adaptions but kids stuff in the late '70s and early '80s was scary yet imaginative. The Banana Splits ruled though!

The Quatermass Experiment and Whistle and I'll Come to You. were my two favourite scary progs.

Carole

The only remotely scary programme I was allowed to watch was Dr Who, as my Dad insisted on it. Perhaps goes some way to explaining my bizarre phobia about robots.

Quatermass, yes!

On a B&W, 525 line telly - poor definition and contrast in the pictures, but what drama.

"Hobb's Lane" still sends a chill down my back!

when I was at primary school (I think. Might have been middle school) we watched stuff like 'dark towers', some thing with a pale alien boy who wrote back-to-front (writing visible in mirrors obviously) and some thing about a haunted cottage where this polt would be visible in the white nose/static on TVs. You could just see a face and hear it crying.... Freaked me RIGHT out!

Pogle's Wood... more than one disturbed night over that... the witch <shudder> I still don't like open wardrobes at night

rynner said:
Quatermass, yes!

On a B&W, 525 line telly - poor definition and contrast in the pictures, but what drama.

"Hobb's Lane" still sends a chill down my back!

The original Quatermass would have been on 405 lines and the poor definition only added to the wierdness, brrr.

p.younger said:
The original Quatermass would have been on 405 lines and the poor definition only added to the wierdness, brrr.
You're right - I'm forgetting how old I am!

Still well spooky!

Punychicken, that Look and Read stuff like Dark Towers and the Boy from Space used to scare the pants off me!
The worst one was "Through the Dragon's Eye" which featured a villain called Charn with unnaturally long finger nails who used to melt people to slush. Long finger nails really freak me out! Charn also looked exactly like the Inquisitor from Red Dwarf, so when I saw that episode years later, I had terrible flashbacks. *brr*

Slytherin said:
that Look and Read stuff like Dark Towers and the Boy from Space used to scare the pants off me!

that's the one!! There was another kids series a few years later, something like the secret garden or somesuch. Anyway, it revolved around a small boy at a historic house and its grounds. At one point there is this big St. Christopher thing that comes alive and starts moving round. That was freaky too!

ooh! and fenela the witch from chorlton and the wheelies scarred me for many many years!

Ooooo, scariest one ever that STILL haunts me... an episode of Outer Limits (I think) in the mid 60's with this androgynous space creature who had some kind of head gear with large sequins on it. For some reason, the hat bothers me to this day. I acutally saw that episode not too long ago and even tho' the "special effects" were obvious, the sparkly hat still made me uneasy.
Twilight Zone and Outer Limits were definitely the creepiest shows ever to spongy young minds!

Ooh! I remember the thing with the walking St Christopher.... was it Moondial? (Weird timeslip featuring girl with birthmark and boy with TB) or Children of Greene Knowe? I think that starred a small boy in a historic house. And a horse. I think it had a spooky tree in it too. Hmm... off to type that into a search engine and see what happens...
:D

Without a doubt, watching "The Fly" (50s version, with Vincent Price) on a b&w tv as a kid. That scene near the end, where the fly body-human head thing is caught in the web....and the spider's approaching...slowly...."help me! heeeellllp meeee....!

Dear God, I was woozy with terror.

Not an actual programme as such but as a very small child in he early 70's I was scared by a trailer for a programme. The only part i remember is a small child lying in bed whilst astride the bed is a large black demon- like creature. I don't know the programme, the year or anything about it but for years I slept with my head under the sheets convinced that if I poked my head over the top that demon would be there............

Does anyone remember the Mothman-like critter in the Warner Bros cartoons ? It was covered in hair and had two eyes peeping out beneath. What was it called ?
I thought TRIPODS was scary too, bloody great things moving about like animated pylons.
I also saw THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK film when I was about nine and that did it....

Yes! Quatermass, but worse still was The Andromeda Strain. Used to have incredible nightmares about that!

And if we're gonna talk films, I reckon one of the best ever was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The original mind, not the later naff one.

harlequin said:
Pogle's Wood... more than one disturbed night over that...
Fantastic. Possibly the most Fortean childrens programme ever.

Tales From The Darkside

Right before leaving for church, I caught the episode of Tales From The Darkside that included a monster in the closet. It involved a female college student leasing a room from a older man in his house. She was given a warning of some kind about the closet. All I really remember is this child-size white 'demon' jumping feet first out of the closet into the girls back breaking it?.
The last seen involved the old man carrying the monster down the stairs and soothing it like it was his child. The show left a lasting impression on me...seriously creepy!

greene knowe!

Slytherin said:
Ooh! I remember the thing with the walking St Christopher.... was it Moondial? (Weird timeslip featuring girl with birthmark and boy with TB) or Children of Greene Knowe

sounds familiar to me... off to look too!

Quatermass with Andre Morell as the prof was a turning point in my life, we didnt have a tv and a girlfriend asked me if i wanted to watch it in her house this lead to a three smilie event which i have mentioned on another thread. The Spiral Staircase was an old film that I thought was quite frightening black and white films seem to be more atmospheric than colour,and a scene in a film I can't remember the name of was of a dog with a human head it was quite startling, I think it was Steve McQeens first film.

On the subject of atmopheric black and white films, how about "Nosferatu" not sure of the spelling, made I think in the twenties, it was a silent movie but it must have been very disturbing back in those days.

Don't get me started on silent films, I'll go on for hours and bore everybody to tears......

Nosferatu is seriously scary, even now, especially the bit with the shadow going up the stairs.:eek!!!!:

Nosferatu was indeed a frightening film and i believe the actor played the part with a minimal amount of makeup, which leads me to thinking of actors who where scary looking in real life, one I can think of was a character in a Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes film. He was called The Creeper, I think, and he had some form of bone deformity which made him look pretty frightening, I think Richard Keel? of Jaws in the Bond films has a similarity but not so pronounced, but I could be wrong on all counts so appologies to anyone who gets upset and decides to come round and sort me out. especially nosferatu your quite good looking really. (gulp).

Wombles!

Ok, this is really silly, but those loveable, furry, enviromental-friendly beasts of Wimbledon Common caused me to hide under the table with the dog (we had a very understanding and long-suffering dog)

I can hear my Mum now... "tidy your room or the wombles will come!" :blah:

Jane.

You are a mentalist, really.
Has anyone ever caught a womble? What do they taste like?

'Children of the Stones' was terrifying, I also have vague memories of a programme called 'The Changes' which really freaked me out when I was very small, I'd love to know if anyone else remembers it and can tell me what it was about?

I was also terrified by (don't laugh) The Clangers - I had a comic with a Clangers strip in it and made my dad put it in the bin - not just in the kitchen bin, but the outside one! And Dr Who, of course, my sister and I would squeeze into the same chair to watch it

And the Tomorrow People... what a wuss, I could go on and on.

According to my mother and my sister, when I was a child, I used to be frightened of Sweep from the Sooty Show. I don't remember this - perhaps therapy might be a good idea as I'm obviously repressing something.......

The first thing I remember that really frightened me was
"Quatermass and the Pit". I'm with Rynner on this one - I can't pass a "Hob's Lane" without thinking of that horned figure in the sky. Brrrr.

I used to be terrified by the old Wind in the Willow programs... you remember the animatronic-style series they did in the late 70's, early 80s..? There was one episode, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", which scared the stuffing outta me (i was about three or four at the time...)

Back