• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scary beasts in the UK

uuuuugggghhhhh orrible eight legged beastys if I ever see one in the woods I'll run the fastest mile ever (I hear these things have quite a good top speed)

maybe the barracuda they caught is a large pike? arent these two fish from the same family and look similar? Im not a fish expert but im sure they do. I have also been told storys by my father of him and his friends been attacked by pike while they where fishing, he says they could bite a chunk out your leg if they got a good hold of you.

Anyone else ever heard about pikes attacking humans?

tang-malow said:
maybe the barracuda they caught is a large pike? arent these two fish from the same family and look similar?

Lots of fish look similar but a trained icthyologist would immediately tell them apart. I presume a trained expert has identified these.

Quite apart from the salt/fresh water difference, barracuda and pke feed in different ways. The barracuda relies on speed to catch its prey, while the pike tends to lie in wait among the weeds, and then use its incredible acceleration to rush out and snap up passing prey.

The Barracuda was on local TV down here. We've been getting regular examples of warm water fish caught off Cornwall. One provided me with an interesting coincidence - a Triton (a mediterranean shellfish in this case!) was caught in Falmouth Bay, just weeks after my local astro-soc had named its newsletter 'Triton' (after the largest satellite of Neptune)! Until then, only 8 had been found in British waters in over 100 years.

ARGH! Tony Parsons!
sO the sightings of a human-like slimy creature are explained...:D

The RSPCA said: "The spider may have been brought into the country by someone from Australia who dumped it."
happened nr where I live......a bloke imported a classic car and there was a nest of the buggers in there :eek:

My parents (grocers) found an exotic spider in a box of 'nanas once. I can never put my hand into the 'nana boxes in Sainsbury's. :eek!!!!: Always go for the pre packed.

the link isnt working for me, so....going with what beak said, isnt that also how scorpians an foreign (sp) snakes get in the country?? they slip in through the crates t hat are shipped over..

Back