School bans girl with hair braids

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
It's only as symbolic as you want it to be. It would hardly have been the end of the world if the school had cut the family the 2 weeks slack they asked for and then clamped down, esp. considering that the rules on plaits were unclear.

I forget who it was that said that there's a fine line between discipline and making life unpleasant for people. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with a touch of the velvet glove.

Melf

Justified & Ancient
off track

did anyone, when in school actually see/have a written copy of the school rules?

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
BlackRiverFalls said:
It's only as symbolic as you want it to be. It would hardly have been the end of the world if the school had cut the family the 2 weeks slack they asked for and then clamped down, esp. considering that the rules on plaits were unclear.

I forget who it was that said that there's a fine line between discipline and making life unpleasant for people. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with a touch of the velvet glove.
Agreed, but it's hard to know whether the softly softly approach is what got the school into it's initial predicament or not. In an ideal world, of course there would be leeway given, but I suspect that this is a school trying to enforce zero tolerance to send out a message to parents and pupils alike. :?

Melf > I've still got a copy of my school handbook, wherein layeth the rules by which we were all bound.. From memory, the most contentious ones at the time were:-

1. No trainers.
2. Tidy uniforms only.
3. Boys only allowed one sleeper earring, and girls two (in separate ears).
4. Boys' hair to be kept above shoulder length.
5. Pupils shall not grow beards or moustaches.
6. Ties must be visible at all times, except where it is unsafe to do so, in which case, they can be tucked into the shirt. - We tried an experiment with tie bandanas, but were largely unsuccessful :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Mr Snowman said:
From memory, the most contentious ones at the time
[...]

6. Ties must be visible at all times
Those were the big three at my school. Continually in trouble from the 4th-6th form for untied long hair.

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
The Yithian said:
Mr Snowman said:
[...]

Those were the big three at my school. Continually in trouble from the 4th-6th form for untied long hair.
..and handlebar moustache with your tie stuffed down your pants? ;)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Mr Snowman said:
The Yithian said:
Mr Snowman said:
[...]

..and handlebar moustache with your tie stuffed down your pants? ;)
Myself: no, i couldn't grow an offensive beard today almost a decade later, but friends had proper Hemmingways on the grow. Obscured tie was the other one that would land me in trouble, scarf or sweatshirt always covered it. (Also, i bent but not broke the rules by wearing a lower school tie throughout the sixth form. Petty rebellion in hindsight but it meant a lot at the time. They didn't care, my grades were good...)

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
This is a clear case of racial discrimination. Someone is not being allowed to do something on the basis of what race they are. Will the CRE take up her case and champion her rights?