• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

School Legends

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
School legends

At school whenever we had wet-playtime (no jokes) I remember the topic on conversation always turned to telling ghost stories (most of which are UL's). Was wondering is it the same batch that went around everywhere or were there local variations?
At my school the standard tales were...

*The psycho under the bed licking the hand.
*The psycho on the car roof bangin matey's head in while woman sits inside.
* The mum buying her kid a doll that ends up disembowelling said kid and being found on the windowsillcovered in blood.
* The girl who died at the school after slipping off a cloakroom benchand getting a coat-peg in the throat.

Every time these tales would get trotted out. Reading FT letters page quite often tales crop up from other regions that I never heard at school. Is this the same set of stories you heard?

More or less. Wealso had a dead janitor whose ghost haunted the storeroom under the stage. Woo.

It was a hanuted vacuum cleaner under the stairs at ours. Really, don't ask!

Uh...okay...walk slowly toward the door, don't make a sound and don't take your eyes off the KILLER HOOVER...

Basically me and a pal were dossing around with a bouncy ball and a stair case. My mate went down to retrieve the ball from under the stairs and he said the hoover fell over by itself. Being 10 years old I beleived him and the legend was born!
Haha, kids!

Inverurie Jones said:
More or less. Wealso had a dead janitor whose ghost haunted the storeroom under the stage. Woo.

Yeah mine had a storeroom at the bottom of the stairs back of the stage, we used to dare each other to go down there.

At the infant school I attended (a big, foreboding victorian building) there were numerous ULs. But my favourites were:

A "mysterious" door in a wall in the playground (which was actually just a fire exit for an adjoining building), was the entrance to a cupboard where a child had been locked up by teachers and had subsequently died :)

That one of the cubicles in the boys' toilets was haunted. This rumour got completely out of control one Summer's day, when one of my friends swore he had seen a hand floating in mid air. Word quickly spread around the playground and by the end of lunch break, most of the school was thronging around the toilet block. Suddenly another lad decided he had seen a ghost, there was a lot of screaming, several children threw up and one girl passed out. The headmistress came outside on to the steps and tried to calm things down but a kind of mass hysteria had set in and she was drowned out by a hundred or more kids, swaying in unison and wailing, "Wooh, wooh". I remember it took ages for the teachers to regain any semblance of order.

Dashwood said:
At the infant school I attended (a big, foreboding victorian building) there were numerous ULs. But my favourites were:

A "mysterious" door in a wall in the playground (which was actually just a fire exit for an adjoining building), was the entrance to a cupboard where a child had been locked up by teachers and had subsequently died :)

That one of the cubicles in the boys' toilets was haunted. This rumour got completely out of control one Summer's day, when one of my friends swore he had seen a hand floating in mid air. Word quickly spread around the playground and by the end of lunch break, most of the school was thronging around the toilet block. Suddenly another lad decided he had seen a ghost, there was a lot of screaming, several children threw up and one girl passed out. The headmistress came outside on to the steps and tried to calm things down but a kind of mass hysteria had set in and she was drowned out by a hundred or more kids, swaying in unison and wailing, "Wooh, wooh". I remember it took ages for the teachers to regain any semblance of order.

Quality! Hysteria amongst junior school kids can't be beat. Incidentally, u from Wycombe? If so what school did u go to?

we had a storeroom under the building that was meant to be haunted, we'd dare each other to go down the steps to it. As it got knocked down recently and replaced by another housing estate I had a quick peek one night. still scary even with everything demolished:eek!!!!:

we also had as story about a Hairy hand.....something about a woman finding something in a field and that night something ghastly coming to her house and up to her room

jima said:
we also had as story about a Hairy hand.....something about a woman finding something in a field and that night something ghastly coming to her house and up to her room

'Who's got my hairy toe...?' Heh heh.

Originally posted by jima

Thats what she told her huband when he got back from nightshift anyway.;)

Originally posted by jima

we also had as story about a Hairy hand.....

The one I know is of an olden days carriage being stopped by a cloaked/hooded figure, the figure did not speak and proceeded to stroke the horse which reared up and bolted, as it jerked away the driver saw a hairy hand protruding from the arm of the cloak.
Saw a reconstruction on a Jeremy Beadle fronted show in the mid 80's.

Inverurie Jones said:
Uh...okay...walk slowly toward the door, don't make a sound and don't take your eyes off the KILLER HOOVER...

You've been talking to my cat, haven't you?

My dog's more the 'death or glory' sort...she charges the thing...

jima said:

In Frank Zappa's autobiography, 'The Real Frank Zappa Book', he recollects his Italian-speaking grandmother entertaining the children with a ghost story of some kind about a Hairy Hand, or 'Mano pelusa'. Maybe the icon of a Hairy Hand is not limited to English primary schools.
Anyone with Italian relatives ever been amused/frightened as a kid by tales of the 'Mano Pelusa'? Zappa doesn't go into a great deal of detail about it.

Re: School legend's

McAvennie said:
At school whenever we had wet-playtime (no jokes)

thanks for that, I just spat tea all over my keyboard :D

The haunted toilet (pre-pre-pre-H/potter times) rings a bell in my head from one school I was at, and haunted swimming pool changing rooms too. Though thinking about it the haunted toilet is a theme that seems to come from many schools (as I moved to quite a few in my youth).

I still find empty toilets quite scary for some reason.

I mean the toilet block in big buildings as oppose to solitary flushed toilets.

The silence broken only by humming air-conditioning, the closed cubicles (harbouring malevolant evil-do-er's?) and the plethora clean white surfaces. Have I just been watching Scream and XF 'Squeeze' too much?

at my primary school there was a very large playing field, and at one end of it was a small (7ft high) hill which was great fun for rolling down and pushing other kids of etc. But at one end of it was a hole, like a rabbit hole, and this was where the snake lived. This was a standard school rumour and was of course ignored by the staff. Ther problem was that one day I did see a snake in the ditch that ran around the field and no one believed me.

We also had a pupil killed by a combine harvester (I grew up in a very rural community) and I was amazed that there where never and rumours about his ghost!

McAvennie said:
I still find empty toilets quite scary for some reason.

I know what you mean. But I had a different reason to be scared in our toilet block - there was a game where you would climb across the tops of all the cubicles, gobbing on whoever was in them.
I never played it (as if!! ;)), but would often wee in fear.

pinkle

i think that i ve post this on the ghosts thread?

there was posed to be a green ghost in a down stair roon of the old block and a teacher stayed in the room to see if could see it but when the caretaker/janitor came in the following morning the place was locked and empty and nobody knew want happened to the teacher

and this was told to us by a teacher so make of it as you wish

I got info on a school ghost story last night.

Manor Hall school apparently has a ghost of a dead caretaker. This ghost haunts the stage area where -sometime in the past- the caretaker was working up in the lighting rig above the stage. The caretaker fell from the lighting rig smacking his head on a metal railed ladder dying in the process.

Toilets again!

I had a brush with the haunted toilet rumour - but it turned out to be a washroom with those self-flushing toilets that just automatically flush themselves every so often.

Let me tell you - very scaring if you're not expecting it:eek!!!!:

Re: Toilets again!

raven said:
I had a brush with the haunted toilet rumour
A haunted toilet brush?

HAHAHAHEUHAEUHEAUHUHAE :rolleyes:

I apologise for my toilet humour...

kekekekekekk;

Oh dear - another thread down the pan

You're right, its so easy - yet so much fun:D

I can remember when i was at primary school there was a story going round about the chelsea whopper clowns. They drove a blue transit van and asked kids if they wanted to see puppets/toys etc in their van. then they would kidnap them, slit the sides of their mouths and make them laugh to open the wounds to make a big clown smile. one day at lunch time someone said that the clowns were hiding in the block of flats next to the school. a mass hysteria broke out with teachers bringing everone back in and telling us it was just a silly story. has any body else heard of them?

I remember being instructed in how to 'do' a Chelsea smile in primary school, but there was no mention of roving clowns...

101 said:
Anyone with Italian relatives ever been amused/frightened as a kid by tales of the 'Mano Pelusa'? Zappa doesn't go into a great deal of detail about it.

I'm not Italian(!), but we had the Hairy Toe, which was identical, exceptit was a toe,obviously...:err:

Back