Science Fiction: Films & TV

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Took a chance on Godzilla vs. Kong last night. After having found the previous two Godzilla movies to be grim, soulless affairs that took their subject matter far too seriously, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It had some of the fun of Kong: Skull Island. But then, this isn't a Godzilla movie, but a Kong movie. Kong even gets some character development here. It's very much his story. It was ridiculous fun. The Pellucidar (or wherever) stuff was fun. I could have watched another movie of just that. Unlike the previous two Godzilla movies, some of the characters were actually likeable or at least fun.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The One: All it takes is one quick DNA test to match you with your perfect partner. But all is not well at the company behind this test. Infighting between the creators of the process, falling out with the moneyman behind it all. Flashbacks to how the test was developed, some dodgy dealings, also maybe a murder. The persona; lives of the protagonist are pure soap, Eastenders on speed. But all of this gels into an engaging SF Thriller series which maintains the tension throughout. The idea has been used before, even on Netflix but this time Showrunner Howard Overman puts an original twist on the narrative. On Netflix, 8 episodes. 8/10.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Disney Plus released the trailer to Loki with Tom Hiddleston teaming up with Owen Wilson.

But there could be bad vibes in the House of the Mouse.

Rumor claim that they may only release 5 episodes with no explanation.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Feed: The Feed is a form of Social Media accessed through a brain implant. But it's much more than SM, it's use to control Transport Energy, Communications. Things start going wrong, people go crazy and attack others, take on new personas. The Feed is too big to just shut down, you'll shut down Industrial Society. An SF Thriller with elements of horror especially in gruesome attacks/murders carried out by the possessed and mass killings later in the series. A sort of Soap (again) is intertwined with the narrative, a Soap about the family who created and "control" The Feed, dark secrets are revealed as the series progresses and it doesn't overstay it's welcome at ten episodes. Elements of Dystopia are also present with The Feed making the State omniscient, naturally there is a resistance. Some good plot twists. Developed by Channing Powell. On Prime, I saw it on Virgin Media Ireland Boxsets. 8/10.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A theory is that Disney is cutting LOKI short 5 episodes to bring on another Marvel character.

Hiddleston claimed he was having fun and was ready for more episodes.

Mr. Banooka

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Finally watched Tenet this evening. I thought it was a great entertaining movie, my wife hated it; To the point that it caused a minor argument. I should have known it would happen as it always does when we watch a mo ie that involves time travel (except Back to the Future, for some reason she is ok with the disjointed time travel in those movies).

personally it took to about half way through the movie for me to fully get what was going on, but once I did I was along for the ride.
I did guess that it was The Protagonist himself who he was fighting in the time machine room in Oslo

I thought the time travel concept used was a clever one. The one thing I need answering though is
Did Kenneth Branagh live for a while in the running backwards timeline from When he found the device with the ability to reverse time. Build a new device in the past, then swap back over to the forward timeline again as an older man.
I definitely need a rewatch. On my own this time though.