Science Fiction: Films & TV

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
I've recently watched Paper Girls on Prime. Four paper girls (as in girls who deliver papers) from 1988 end up travelling through time, running from futuristic time fascists and working with an underground movement, while meeting their future selves and dealing with their issues. Clichéd characters, a bit frustrating in places, particularly in how it dealt with the problems of time travel, but I watched it all through and enjoyed it.

SimonBurchell

Justified & Ancient
Moonfall: I Canna Change The Laws Of Physics! Well you can if you're a Type III Civilisation on the Kardashev scale. Building a Moon sized artificial satellite would be easy. But what if something went wrong with the machinery and the Moon's orbit moved closer to Earthjy What if a strange apparently intelligent nano-swarm attacks and kills astronauts sent to investigate? Well you'd just have to round up an unfairly dismissed astronaut and the a former astronaut who is now NASA's Deputy Director to save the day. And throw in a conspiracy theorist for laughs. Some really great scenes of machinery on a cosmic scale and cities inundated by floods, earthquakes, pieces of the Moon striking Earth. Not a classic but the narrative doesn't outstay it's welcome at 130 minutes. Shades of 2001, Armageddon, Ringworld and Dyson Spheres. Directed and Co-Written by Roland Emmerich. 7/10.

In cinemas.
I know everyone is slamming Moonfall, but I watched it over the weekend and thought it was great fun, and nice to see a Dyson Sphere in a film, even if the science in the film is, ahem, a little erroneous.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Anyone else watched the series From? I am enjoying it so far....

Loved it! Quite gruesome and disturbing in parts, people are ripped a[art and eaten, their remains left strewn about. Plenty of interesting and quirky characters. This is good adult horror and it has been renewed for a second season. 8/10.

Earthly oddity

Ephemeral Spectre
Loved it! Quite gruesome and disturbing in parts, people are ripped a[art and eaten, their remains left strewn about. Plenty of interesting and quirky characters. This is good adult horror and it has been renewed for a second season. 8/10.
I love the character who made the assumption he was in an escape room scenario.....hilarious scenario to put in that character's arc.....I have only seen the first 3 episodes so far....

The lady in the big house outside town reminded me of the actress who played the cult lady in The Leftovers - similar looks/in some ways character archetype maybe? I loved The Leftovers too.

If I had to choose where to live there I think I would probably choose the big house outside town. At least the people in there aren't trying to live in normality and ignore the elephant in the town (monsters/horror) until night-time. So far, the others are trying to replicate normality - only to be challenged when the horrible things happen. People can only pretend/recreate normality until they momentarily forget or flip out I suspect....leading to mistakes and more horrible things happening.

Last edited: