• Please be advised there is a potential issue with DD collections, which may result in an excessive amount being taken. Please read the stickied thread in Fortean Times Magazine > General Discussion, Subs etc

Science Fiction: Films & TV

Okarin

Devoted Cultist
Anyone else watching The Last of Us?
I'm 2 episodes in now, but am unsure whether it's worth investing any more time.
Not convinced we needed yet another Walking Dead-style EOTWAWKI drama, particularly with characters as unlikeable as these.
Bella Ramsey as Ellie is particularly irritating and unbelievable - surely no-one would be as cocky as that, when they could be executed at any second? Seems to be little more than a platform for her to spout her potty-mouthed cheeky one-liners.
The post-apocalyptic cityscapes look good, but is that enough?
Maybe it worked better as a computer game?
I saw the first episode having been a huge fan of the game I was curious as how it would translate to the screen. Have to be honest I struggled to get in to it and haven't watched on. I agree with you Ellie just grated on me.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
I saw the first episode having been a huge fan of the game I was curious as how it would translate to the screen. Have to be honest I struggled to get in to it and haven't watched on. I agree with you Ellie just grated on me.

I'd never played the computer game and so had no preconceptions about The Last of Us.
It does strike me as a hugely derivative mash-up of The Walking Dead, A Quiet Place, 28 Days Later, Bird Box and many others in the EOTWAWKI genre.
Pedro Pascal, taking a break from the devil's wine cellar, is suitably stoic and believable, but Bella Ramsay just plain isn't.
I suppose these zombies are slightly different, having been killed from the inside out and then reanimated by the fungus into super-fast predators, hunting by sound. If I knew the story would be wrapped up in one series, I would stick with it, but now it appears there will be subsequent series, I can see it turning into another Lost and I know that's a chunk of my life I won't be getting back.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
That's too bad. I looked up the actor playing Ellie. She is 19 years old. A little too old to be playing Ellie if it is based on The Last of Us part 1. She is supposed to be a young teen. An adult playing a teen often doesn't work for me. And snarky kids that just have attitude rather than heart is also a no go for me. As a comparison to difference in a snarky kids show, I have watched Young Sheldon and totally enjoy it.

I thought that, though the game is light on storyline, the characters for tv could have become more fleshed out.

I did enjoy the game because of the characters. I wondered how it could be made into a tv show considering that The Walking Dead is same, but with more characters to work with. I also didn't follow TWD beyond 4 seasons. You can only watch people kill dead people in a gymnasium, arena, prison etc. for so long. I watched it more for the special effects involved in the zombies and the kills.

Mr. Banooka

Abominable Snowman
The Last of Us has been pretty good so far. I never go into any adaptation now expecting it to be identical. But so far they have been able to convey some of the challenges from the game in different and more believable ways. I like how they have kept the same composer for the music as well.

They've also fleshed out character back stories as well. Anna Torv as Tess has been brilliant so far. Always liked her from her Fringe days. There's been more explanation of what's going on and how the infection started. As to Ellie, I've found Bella Ramsey fine so far as her behaviour and character goes. But Ellie's look in the game is so indelibly etched in my mind I struggle to see her as Ellie some times.

It's a much better adaptation than the other Naughty Dog adaptation (Uncharted). With the Uncharted movie I think they were too concerned with getting big names involved. They should just have adapted one of the game stories and hired a cast more suited to the role. Bruce Campbell should have played Sully.

Speaking of Uncharted, did anyone notice that Tess' lighter in The Last of Us has the same design as Sam Drake's in Uncharted 4?

I am in anticipation for Joel to go searching for the parts to make a shiv now.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Anyone else watching The Last of Us?
I'm 2 episodes in now, but am unsure whether it's worth investing any more time.
Not convinced we needed yet another Walking Dead-style EOTWAWKI drama, particularly with characters as unlikeable as these.
Bella Ramsey as Ellie is particularly irritating and unbelievable - surely no-one would be as cocky as that, when they could be executed at any second? Seems to be little more than a platform for her to spout her potty-mouthed cheeky one-liners.
The post-apocalyptic cityscapes look good, but is that enough?
Maybe it worked better as a computer game?

The mem and l are really enjoying it, though neither of us has played the PC game.

I was shocked to realise that Anna Torv was the actress who played the cool and impeccably put-together psychology consultant in Mindhunter. She’s got range.

maximus otter

Mr. Banooka

Abominable Snowman
The mem and l are really enjoying it, though neither of us has played the PC game.

I was shocked to realise that Anna Torv was the actress who played the cool and impeccably put-together psychology consultant in Mindhunter. She’s got range.

maximus otter
I remember watching her in Fringe and her getting grief for being wooden from certain elements of the internet. I never thought that, just thought it was her characters demeanour. That was eventually confirmed when Fauxlivia appeared and had a completely different character and demeanour.