• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Perhaps they didn't, maybe the writer/director Drew Cassonjust wanted to base it there. He's from Hungerford. Perhaps he wanted something else to be attached to the town's name.
A cheap found footage zombie flick is hardly going to re imagine the town's identity.

Also according to a review there is a scene that displays similarities with an incident that actually occurred during the massacre. Which again doesn't really help the town move on.

A cheap found footage zombie flick is hardly going to re imagine the town's identity.

Also according to a review there is a scene that displays similarities with an incident that actually occurred during the massacre. Which again doesn't really help the town move on.

So someone in Hungerford shouldn't use the name of his town?

Yes, all reviews are 100% truthful. The media never sensationalises anything. An alien invasion similar to the massacre? FFS!

Because he is from and lives in Hungerford.

You sound like a Daily Mail journalist out to cause a moral panic.
Article from a local paper here about Drew.

Rise and rise of Hungerford filmmaker

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/arts---ents/13973/Rise-and-rise-of-Hungerford-filmmaker.html

No outrage, no moral panic.

And none here either.

Of course if he'd come from Letchworth he would have called it "letchworth" of course he would.

I think you are displaying more outrage here by getting huffy over the fact that I and I'm guessing a number of other people see this as a cynical marketing ploy. Its crass but I'm hardly pissing my pants over it.

And none here either.

Of course if he'd come from Letchworth he would have called it "letchworth" of course he would.

I think you are displaying more outrage here by getting huffy over the fact that I and I'm guessing a number of other people see this as a cynical marketing ploy. Its crass but I'm hardly pissing my pants over it.

Why come after me when I didn't even respond to you in the first place? Looks as if you were spoiling for a fight. You're the one who is outraged about the use of the name Hungerford.

I'm not getting huffy, just pointing out that your faux outrage doesn't cut much ice when the local paper didn't even mention the massacre in relation to the film.

Why come after me when I didn't even respond to you in the first place? Looks as if you were spoiling for a fight. You're the one who is outraged about the use of the name Hungerford.

I'm not getting huffy, just pointing out that your faux outrage doesn't cut much ice when the local paper didn't even mention the massacre in relation to the film.
Mate I'm not picking a fight although you did cross the line by accusing me of being a Dail Mail reader - low blow :D.

I think we are quick to tar everyone withe the brush of being "outraged". Shit I never even got off the couch during our discussion. I thought it was a shitty title for a film that doesn't actually achieve much. Still peace and let's end it.

Mate I'm not picking a fight although you did cross the line by accusing me of being a Dail Mail reader - low blow :D.

I think we are quick to tar everyone withe the brush of being "outraged". Shit I never even got off the couch during our discussion. I thought it was a shitty title for a film that doesn't actually achieve much. Still peace and let's end it.

I thought you crossed the line by dissing a talented young film maker. There is no evidence that he picked the name to get publicity and there is certainly no evidence of locals being upset about the choice of such a title. Quite the opposite actually, the article in the local paper was praising him.

I didn't stir from my armchair during the debate but did go outside to read in the sun for an hour since my last comment. I also purchased pastries.

So let peace reign once more. I'll buy you a pint of Guinness in The Troll's Head.

Beyond Skyline: Alien Invasion sequel. The aliens have bio-mechanical machines, some the size of Jaegers (Pacific Rim) complete with alien humanoid (think of bipedal Alien) pilot, others smaller but still huge have tentacles for sucking out brains. Yes they're after our brains but not to munch on, they put them into their various bio-mechanical Warriors. Apparently including brain snatchers and even the pilots, bit of a loop there. A blue light is used to hypnotise humans and they are then sucked en masse into an alien ship for brain extraction or it's ripped out individually by tentacle.

A new group of humans, led by Mark (Frank Grillo), a detective, are sucked on board an alien vessel and link up with Elaine (Samantha Jean) and Jarrod from Skyline. Jarrod's brain is now in an alien Warrior pilot but somehow he remains aware and saves Mark from a tentacle Warrior. Meanwhile Elaine delivers her baby six months early! The child has absorbed alien DNA. The aliens also want the babies. The struggle to survive ensues. Will we learn the real secret of the aliens? What will happen to alien-human hybrid children?

Written and directed by Liam O'Donnell this is an ok alien invasion movie, the script is a bit uneven in pacing but there are some very good shots of alien vessels crashing and great (albeit gruesome) hand to hand combat between aliens (or rather their bio-mechs) and humans and even Jaeger battles. The alien spaceship interiors are like gothic cathedrals with vistas of organic machinery. Acting won't win Oscars but is passable. 7/10. On Netflix.
OK, I watched this yesterday. I'd agree with 7/10. It's not bad.
I like the fact that it's a direct follow-on from the first film. There are a few continuity inconsistencies and some scientific errors in this film, but that doesn't detract from the end result.
Oh, and it's interesting to see an aged Huggy Bear hanging upside-down...

Talking Pictures TV has a habit of turning up some real curios and this one takes the biscuit - the first British SF movie! Starring Charles Hawtrey - not the Carry On one though.

Sun 06 May 18 6:00 BFI: A Message From Mars 1913. Sci-Fi. Directed by J. Wallett Waller. The first silent British sci-fi feature (with new score). A Martian visits earth to cure a selfish man (similar to ‘A Christmas Carol’) on Christmas Eve.

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
Virgin 445
Freeview 81
Sky channel 328
Freesat 306
Youview 81

Talking Pictures TV has a habit of turning up some real curios and this one takes the biscuit - the first British SF movie! Starring Charles Hawtrey - not the Carry On one though.

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
Virgin 445
Freeview 81
Sky channel 328
Freesat 306
Youview 81
Weirdly, the better known Charles Hawtrey, who wasn't originally called Charles at all, and whose surname was Hartree, changed his name to Hawtrey to give himself the appearance of a connection to the earlier, knighted, thesp who appeared in the film above.

OK, I watched this yesterday. I'd agree with 7/10. It's not bad.
I like the fact that it's a direct follow-on from the first film. There are a few continuity inconsistencies and some scientific errors in this film, but that doesn't detract from the end result.
Oh, and it's interesting to see an aged Huggy Bear hanging upside-down...

nah 5.5 out of 10 it was to long and Grillo has an annoying face.

Anyone watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale? Episode 2 on Channel 4 in the UK tonight - the US is further ahead. Now they've run out of book, they seem to be taking a sadistic pleasure in punishing the sympathetic characters as much as possible. I'm not watching it for pleasure, and now I wonder why I am watching it. Gratuitous sex scene in tonight's too.

Anyone watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale? Episode 2 on Channel 4 in the UK tonight - the US is further ahead. Now they've run out of book, they seem to be taking a sadistic pleasure in punishing the sympathetic characters as much as possible. I'm not watching it for pleasure, and now I wonder why I am watching it. Gratuitous sex scene in tonight's too.

I wouldn't quite look at it that way, it's still showing how the Theocracy developed and the nature of the opposition to it. Nasty things happen to dissidents under dictatorships, the show is just illustrating that. You shouldn't be surprised to see sex scenes (gratuitous or otherwise) in adult dramas.

Yeah, but they had the nice lecturer turn into a spiteful murderer last night.

It wasn't spite, rather righteous revenge.

Didn't make it any more palatable. That nice Marisa Tomei, too. I suppose the message is that wholly corrupt society corrupts even the moral, which is bleak enough, but I suspect we were supposed to cheer the murder, which is even bleaker.

Didn't make it any more palatable. That nice Marisa Tomei, too. I suppose the message is that wholly corrupt society corrupts even the moral, which is bleak enough, but I suspect we were supposed to cheer the murder, which is even bleaker.

Not everyone would regard it as murder.

Red Band aka NSFW:

Isn't that thingy from Prometheus? Thought he was badly cast in that. Too pretty.
I'll avoid that as it merely seems another guns, blood and maiming nightmare the USA audience seems to thrive on.

Is there any mention of a TV show called Requiem (set in deepest Wales) on these threads? I watched series one and it was beautiful.

It's reality. Oppressors who fall and are put in the midst of those they hurt will not be treated gently.

Yeah, but Marisa was hardly at the top of the tree, she'd just had an affair which had given her a taste of the patriarchy's medicine. She didn't seem like an oppressively violent person to me. And even if she had been, er, whatsername, the wife of Fred, I wouldn't have relished seeing her die a prolonged death of poisoning, two wrongs don't make a right. That's not reality for everyone.

Yeah, but Marisa was hardly at the top of the tree, she'd just had an affair which had given her a taste of the patriarchy's medicine. She didn't seem like an oppressively violent person to me. And even if she had been, er, whatsername, the wife of Fred, I wouldn't have relished seeing her die a prolonged death of poisoning, two wrongs don't make a right. That's not reality for everyone.

But striking back isn't necessarily a wrong.

The troops who beat the nazis weren't equally wrong because they also killed people.

There are deep arguments, nay philosophical discussions to be held on this subject.

I don't see the violence of the oppressed as being equivalent to the violence of the oppressor.

My family (several lines) have been fighting back since the 1860s so it may be hardwired into me.

No, fighting back is only natural for many, but I don't like to see good people brought so low by oppression that they start enacting atrocities of their own.

Getting a bit deep, but I am seeing this in season 2.

No, fighting back is only natural for many, but I don't like to see good people brought so low by oppression that they start enacting atrocities of their own.

But it gives the committer of that "atrocity" the strength to carry on the fight. Helps them to survive in what is effectively a death camp.

I watched Annihilation on Monday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I though it had a bit of a The Last of Us vibe to it (for those who have played the game), both the atmosphere inside the Shimmer and the soundtrack. In fact, it would have made an excellent game. The plot's a little thin, but I think deliberately so, and it has a wonderful dreamlike quality throughout. Also very refreshing to have an all-female team heading into the danger zone (© Bernard Righton).
Just watched this and loved it. Great film, only slightly hindered by some wooden dialogue by Nat P. Best sci-fi I've seen (with a few massive dollops of wonderful horror) this decade. I even liked the ending. Highly recommend it.
4.5/5

Just to clarify: I'm not saying that what happened was a good thing or that it should be the default position of the oppressed when a previous oppressor has been brought down in the world. Just that it is understandable behaviour. When Kapos were reduced to being ordinary inmates again in Concentration Camps, they were swiftly killed by the other prisoners.

Just to clarify: I'm not saying that what happened was a good thing or that it should be the default position of the oppressed when a previous oppressor has been brought down in the world. Just that it is understandable behaviour. When Kapos were reduced to being ordinary inmates again in Concentration Camps, they were swiftly killed by the other prisoners.

I don't dispute any facts, I'm simply saying it's a grim aspect of human nature that perpetuates the cycle.

Back