• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Took a chance on Godzilla vs. Kong last night. After having found the previous two Godzilla movies to be grim, soulless affairs that took their subject matter far too seriously, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It had some of the fun of Kong: Skull Island. But then, this isn't a Godzilla movie, but a Kong movie. Kong even gets some character development here. It's very much his story. It was ridiculous fun. The Pellucidar (or wherever) stuff was fun. I could have watched another movie of just that. Unlike the previous two Godzilla movies, some of the characters were actually likeable or at least fun.

The One: All it takes is one quick DNA test to match you with your perfect partner. But all is not well at the company behind this test. Infighting between the creators of the process, falling out with the moneyman behind it all. Flashbacks to how the test was developed, some dodgy dealings, also maybe a murder. The persona; lives of the protagonist are pure soap, Eastenders on speed. But all of this gels into an engaging SF Thriller series which maintains the tension throughout. The idea has been used before, even on Netflix but this time Showrunner Howard Overman puts an original twist on the narrative. On Netflix, 8 episodes. 8/10.

Disney Plus released the trailer to Loki with Tom Hiddleston teaming up with Owen Wilson.

But there could be bad vibes in the House of the Mouse.

Rumor claim that they may only release 5 episodes with no explanation.

Last edited:
The Feed: The Feed is a form of Social Media accessed through a brain implant. But it's much more than SM, it's use to control Transport Energy, Communications. Things start going wrong, people go crazy and attack others, take on new personas. The Feed is too big to just shut down, you'll shut down Industrial Society. An SF Thriller with elements of horror especially in gruesome attacks/murders carried out by the possessed and mass killings later in the series. A sort of Soap (again) is intertwined with the narrative, a Soap about the family who created and "control" The Feed, dark secrets are revealed as the series progresses and it doesn't overstay it's welcome at ten episodes. Elements of Dystopia are also present with The Feed making the State omniscient, naturally there is a resistance. Some good plot twists. Developed by Channing Powell. On Prime, I saw it on Virgin Media Ireland Boxsets. 8/10.

A theory is that Disney is cutting LOKI short 5 episodes to bring on another Marvel character.

Hiddleston claimed he was having fun and was ready for more episodes.

Finally watched Tenet this evening. I thought it was a great entertaining movie, my wife hated it; To the point that it caused a minor argument. I should have known it would happen as it always does when we watch a mo ie that involves time travel (except Back to the Future, for some reason she is ok with the disjointed time travel in those movies).

personally it took to about half way through the movie for me to fully get what was going on, but once I did I was along for the ride.
I did guess that it was The Protagonist himself who he was fighting in the time machine room in Oslo

I thought the time travel concept used was a clever one. The one thing I need answering though is
Did Kenneth Branagh live for a while in the running backwards timeline from When he found the device with the ability to reverse time. Build a new device in the past, then swap back over to the forward timeline again as an older man.
I definitely need a rewatch. On my own this time though.

Anti-Life (aka Breach): Not as bad as some say but still a bit of a mess. Bruce Willis is getting as bad as Nick Cage in accepting every role he's offered and here he plays a grizzled old veteran Space Navy Captain busted to the ranks for disobeying orders. He's on a Space Ark (doing menial work), fleeing earth as the environment finally collapses. 300,000 colonists (most in cryogenic sleep) are onboard, voyaging to New Earth which circles a distant star. But there's an alien parasite aboard! It kills crew members and then reanimates their bodies. They act and look like fast moving zombies so this is basically a zombies in space movie. The plot is a bit confused with a few hole and non-sequiturs. The acting and set design won't win any award either but it has a certain charm which kept me engaged, maybe it was the zombie element. Or the homages to Aliens, The Thing and other SF/Horror films. It had the ingredients to be a much better film but is just about watchable on a rainy evening. Directed by John Suits from a screenplay by Edward Drake and Corey Large. On Netflix. 5/10.

Finally watched Tenet this evening. I thought it was a great entertaining movie, my wife hated it; To the point that it caused a minor argument. I should have known it would happen as it always does when we watch a movie that involves time travel (except Back to the Future, for some reason she is ok with the disjointed time travel in those movies).

personally it took to about half way through the movie for me to fully get what was going on, but once I did I was along for the ride.
I did guess that it was The Protagonist himself who he was fighting in the time machine room in Oslo

I thought the time travel concept used was a clever one. The one thing I need answering though is
Did Kenneth Branagh live for a while in the running backwards timeline from When he found the device with the ability to reverse time. Build a new device in the past, then swap back over to the forward timeline again as an older man.
I definitely need a rewatch. On my own this time though.

I finally got my head around my second spoiler once I realised that it wasn't
Kenneth Branagh
who was using the Reverse Entropy in the future to send stuff back in time and that he was
the future bad guys agent in the past and that he had stumbled on the Revere Entropy stash of gold with instructions of what to do

By coincidence, I watched Tenet this afternoon (I have the day off).
Almost as confusing as Inception. Interesting ideas and special FX, though.

Am I too desperate for a laugh these days? You be the judge.
Here's my latest film recommendation: The Creeping Terror

As one amateur reviewer wrote, "This makes Plan 9 look like a masterpiece."

The Creeping Terror was a bit of a legend when I was getting into The Golden Turkey Awards, seems to have fallen by the wayside, now, though. It is highly amusing to watch the actors be "eaten" by the creature, though!

Spides: A new drug, Blis, appears on the night club scene in Berlin. Great stuff but has troubling side effects, people go into comas, disappear, seem different afterwards. There are aliens involved, Arachnids, drug dealers, detectives, but the police leadership seems to have been subverted. The narrative moves through much of the seedier side of Berlin, abandoned factories, railway cars. But it also touches on High Tech medical research institutes. Some savage gun fights, stabbings well imagined aliens. There may be a bit too much going on though. Still it's well worth watching. Showrunner/Co-Director/Co-Writer is Rainer Matsutani. On SyFy. 7/10.

Season 4, ep 1 of The Handmaid's Tale. Off to a good start, it's no spoiler to reveal that June survives being shot and recuperates at a safe house farm with the other handmaids. Some interesting dynamics at the farm. Commander Lawrence has been arrested and is in danger of being executed. It's showing on RTE2 and on the RTE Player: https://www.rte.ie/player/series/th...36?epguid=AQ000268402&seasonguid=199073832126

Season 4, ep 1 of The Handmaid's Tale. Off to a good start, it's no spoiler to reveal that June survives being shot and recuperates at a safe house farm with the other handmaids. Some interesting dynamics at the farm. Commander Lawrence has been arrested and is in danger of being executed. It's showing on RTE2 and on the RTE Player: https://www.rte.ie/player/series/th...36?epguid=AQ000268402&seasonguid=199073832126

Still waiting for this on Channel 4! They're a bit tardy with it, not like them, especially when there's been a pandemic. They haven't shown S4 of Fargo, either.

Still waiting for this on Channel 4! They're a bit tardy with it, not like them, especially when there's been a pandemic. They haven't shown S4 of Fargo, either.
S4 of Fargo is being advertised at the moment.
Starts on sunday at 9pm

Am I too desperate for a laugh these days? You be the judge.
Here's my latest film recommendation: The Creeping Terror
As one amateur reviewer wrote, "This makes Plan 9 look like a masterpiece."
Yesterday, I re-watched Invaders From Mars - the 1953 original. Yeah, it's 'of it's time' but it was quite ballsy to set a young boy as the main 'witness' to the conspiracy. The choral 'voices' used to identify alien activity is pretty creepy and the ending is ... quite funky.

Jupiter's Legacy: A TV series exploring when superheroes (even with longevity) start to grow old or at least middle-aged. Their codes of conduct may be outdated as modern super-villains eschew old restraints. The younger generation of super beings are starting to become disenchanted: the villains are killing them but they are not allowed to kill. Some drift away, do their own thing. Some have gone to the Dark Side (including some elders). A wonderful story of how in 1930 the original members of the Union of Superheroes got their powers. Strange visions, guided to an uncharted island in the Atlantic, travelling there on a tramp steamer. Al the while cutting back to the present. Great heroes and villains and many shades in between. Created/Co-Written/Co-Directed by Steven S. DeKnight. On Netflix. 8/10.

Heh.
Sounds like the reaction of the old 1950's criminal gangs being outraged by the arrival of US armed gangsters and Yardie criminals.

Jupiter's Legacy: A TV series exploring when superheroes (even with longevity) start to grow old or at least middle-aged. Their codes of conduct may be outdated as modern super-villains eschew old restraints. The younger generation of super beings are starting to become disenchanted: the villains are killing them but they are not allowed to kill. Some drift away, do their own thing. Some have gone to the Dark Side (including some elders). A wonderful story of how in 1930 the original members of the Union of Superheroes got their powers. Strange visions, guided to an uncharted island in the Atlantic, travelling there on a tramp steamer. Al the while cutting back to the present. Great heroes and villains and many shades in between. Created/Co-Written/Co-Directed by Steven S. DeKnight. On Netflix. 8/10.

The quality falls off pretty quickly after the first episode with its frankly epic fight scene. It gets a bit Crossroads after that.

Ohhhhh, he's a classic classical fool/tragedy character"
(pause)
Nope.
That's retrofit at it's best.
Though it does bring back personal childhood memories. So, that's a plus.

Oxygen: A French SciFi movie with a new take on the fear of being buried alive. Instead of waking in a coffin a woman (Mélanie Laurent) comes to in a medical cryogenic chamber. The AI monitoring the unit, MILO, tells her that she has just two hours of oxygen left but won't unseal the pod. Communication with the outside world is patchy and communication is often cut off. To make matters worse the woman is suffering from memory ls but with flashbacks suspects she has been put in the capsule maliciously. A tale of claustrophobic terror with hopes of rescue rising only to be dashed again. She has to battle not only her own panic but also the other enemy within- the AI which, helpfully, wishes to sedate or even euthanise her. The tension is maintained but you may solve at least part of the mystery about whats really going on. Nevertheless there are are a few interesting plot twists with good effects and a great performance by Laurent. Directed by Alexandre Aja and written by Christie LeBlanc. On Netflix. 8/10.

Can recommend Psycho Goreman, it's the funniest film I've seen in ages, consistently inventive and with some great, rubbery gore effects and bad taste jokes. From the Astron 6 boys, if you know them be aware this is their best yet.

Can recommend Psycho Goreman, it's the funniest film I've seen in ages, consistently inventive and with some great, rubbery gore effects and bad taste jokes. From the Astron 6 boys, if you know them be aware this is their best yet.
It’s currently playing on Shudder. I was eyeing that one, but had just watch “Fried Barry”. Can’t do two off the wall movies that close together lol. “Fried Barry” apparently received some awards, which is why I watched it. It is a guy who gets possessed(?) by an alien. Cannot say if I liked it or not. Definitely no other like it. It was filmed in Cape Town Africa (2020)

Not sure if it would be considered sci-fi, though it features an alien abduction and drugs and a rave party :rim: It is marked as a horror. If you like off the wall stuff, it does have some charm.

Yeah, I saw it on Shudder too. They do a free trial, for anyone who wants to give Psycho Goreman a go. Fried Barry is extremely strange, but it's not boring. The childbirth scene is surely a first (though a bit Xtro).

Back