• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

- Scientific evidence for Bigfoot's existence

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Prof. Mitchel Townsend from Winlock, USA says he have discovered evidence for Bigfoot's existence.

Posted by: Craig Woolheater on May 19th, 2015

Is the mystery of Bigfoot’s existence finally solved?

One Centralia College professor said he has discovered scientific evidence that proves the creature’s existence.

He believes the information will be one of the biggest scientific finds of the century.

Mitchel Townsend, a Winlock resident and teacher in the college’s Continuing Education program, said he was walking through the woods near Ryan Lake in East Lewis County when he came across a stack of bones. The find itself was unusual since predators typically disperse remains rather quickly, he said. Upon further inspection, he noticed large human-like teeth imprints in the bones.

“I got to looking at the bones and they had been gnawed on by what looked to me to be giant human teeth,” he said.

After two of his students from Lower Columbia College found two more stacks of bones on the south side of Mount St. Helens, he said it became clear the “kill sites” were similar in a variety of ways. The bone stacking technique is specific to a humanoid and was cited as human behavior, he said.

Again, human-like teeth imprints were notched into the bones.

http://cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/proof-of-bigfoot-is-in-the-bones/

More text at link

I'll reserve judgement until his paper has been peer reviewed.

I've tried to locate more information about this professor.

Here's a post on Reddit from the professor:
My name is professor Mitchel N. Townsend and I am in the process of writing a Doctoral Level treatise proving once and for all the existence of a North American Gorilla "Gorilla gorilla Americus Septentrionalis". Here is the opening paragraph. This essay has already been accepted for peer review and publication.

Gorillas “Gorilla gorilla Americus Septentrionalis" of the Cascades, a New Addition to the Great Ape Family

In this academic treatise we will make the definitive case for the addition of a new type species classified as Gorilla gorilla Americus Septentrionalis to the Gorilla Genus. This scholarly research effort began with the discovery of three independent forensic evidence depositions within a 40 mile radius circling Mt. St Helens, in Washington State. This active volcano is located in the Cascade Mountain range which extends from Southern British Columbia to Northern California. The elimination of all of biological possibilities that may have been responsible for the deposition of this physical evidence within the localized ecosystem required the expansion of its scope of inquiry to include all possibilities both geographical and theoretical in the search for truth as required by the foundations of science. The methodology for this individual effort will focus upon chronologically presenting facts and analysis that builds upon an already overwhelming body of multi-discipline evidence that when taken in totality definitively prove the viability and validity of the material presented in this academic effort beyond a reasonable doubt. The conclusions drawn from this multi-year research effort require that they be further examined and debated in the scholarly effort to bring further understanding to this subject matter. The addition of a new North American Gorilla to the recognized animal kingdom would indeed provide the impetus to spur the conversation forward and provide legitimacy for further scientific research (Tattersall, 2002). This effort is organized into the following six main categories: bone stacks and analysis, expanding the scope, searching the globe, back in time, forward to the conclusions, and a call for expanded inquiry.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bigfoot/comments/2mrt6m/bigfoot_solved_finally/

I've tried to locate more information about this professor.

Here's a post on Reddit from the professor:

There's a number of things that already don't stack up for me. Firstly, he's a professor, yet he's writing a "doctoral level treatise"? Hmm, well, maybe - perhaps on that side of the pond he's a professor merely by dint of his teaching position. He'd have to be well past post-doc here, I believe. And anyway, what is a "doctoral level treatise"? Either he's writing a PhD thesis with the hope of getting that degree, or he's simply conducting research. It seems an odd concept to me. Secondly, he's pretty confident if his essay has been accepted for peer review AND publication. The second doesn't necessarily follow the first, which is kind of the point. Thirdly: Reddit? Really? I dunno, perhaps I'm being overly sceptical, but this doesn't hang together for me.

'Centralia College' was what set off alarms for me.
Centralia is a deserted town with an underground fire that has been burning for years.
However, there really is a Centralia College, so I guess I'll turn off that alarm now...

http://www.centralia.edu/

Alarm back on!

Bizarro-03-27-16-WEB.jpg

http://bizarro.com

Might Denis Publishing sign-up Dan Piraro?

Wish they would

Last edited:
Gorilla gorilla Americus Septentrionalis is no way to write a scientific name. Only the first word should be capitalized.

Yes. Here's the 'paper'

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=25bbcabf2de517ff&id=25BBCABF2DE517FF!123&authkey=!AE9vh_ZHn84PpUw

Except it's not a 'paper', in that way. I have skimmed it because I've got a lot of dental pain, am off work, and really need something to distract myself from the pain.

I've read plenty of real peer reviewed studies, and straight away this is very different. Source material mostly seems to be from the internet. Not having a go at that as such, but as this 'paper' is trying to trade on the educational level of its author, you'd expect him to have access to a university library.

Also, I've tried to follow a random selection of the reference's locations. Some came out as either full text articles or links to abstracts, but others come out as educational pages about general biology, pitched at a secondary school level. Such as this site;http://biologyinabox.utk.edu/overview.htm. While more than a few just can't be found. Either by URL or title.

Another thing I've noticed is that the reference section of this 'doctoral level' paper, wouldn't be acceptable in a first year undergraduate essay. It's truly sloppy. His final reference giving 'Wolverine gulo gulo. (2015)' followed by am URL to a National Geographic web page is a good example. Has anyone tried to use a reference like that in university?

Incidentally the section where he discusses the wolverine as a possible candidate for the bone piles is well worth a read. Both because I'd say it shows that his argument isn't even poorly constructed, and also because it shows how far off the mark of a formal article this truly is.

Another thing I noticed as soon as I started reading what I assumed would be an abstract, but turned out not to be. Is that there are an awful lot of truly unnecessarily complicated terms. Put together in a haphazard way. Not many of which add up to anything coherent about the direction this piece is trying to take. Plus the scope, according to the intro, covers so many disciplines that you're quite surprised it's only got two authors.

Are either of them qualified in any of the types of study they refer to? Well apparently no.

As has been said earlier Mitchel Townsend, is a part time media studies lecturer. His 'masters' seems to be in 'organisational leadership' according to this article. http://tdn.com/mobile/article_76b15484-983b-11e3-ab79-001a4bcf887a.html

A quick search of his name also came up with this interesting thread; http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=293127&st=0

Particularly the posts by ChrLzs who links to this page http://thebigfootnews.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/new-jonny-dagger-scientific-paper-seeks.html

So it appears that its author has an alter ego. About whom it seems some very grandiose claims have been made. Apparently he/the other he/they have also been in the U.S special forces, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401892138/bigfoot-solved/creator_bio

And a quick look to the right on Dr Jonny Dagger's page shows the name Mitchel Townsend. Elsewhere by the way, he also seems to have been portrayed as a 'Native American tracker'.

So aside from the fact that the 'paper' is badly written. And neither it nor its reference section would likely pass muster even for a first year let alone doctoral level. And that it's unclear imprecise, unscientific, amateurish and written by someone who has no background in the fields that it's trying to cover. Its main author seems to have at least one different persona. And fantastical one at that.

I think this business may be bullshit. But it's Ibuprofen time again.

Another thing I've noticed is that the reference section of this 'doctoral level' paper, wouldn't be acceptable in a first year undergraduate essay. It's truly sloppy. His final reference giving 'Wolverine gulo gulo. (2015)' followed by am URL to a National Geographic web page is a good example. Has anyone tried to use a reference like that in university?
Agree. It's after APA format for the most part but with such a heavy reliance on internet links it's a bit iffy. One generally only uses those to reference some current event or occurrences as examples. Otherwise you'd expect references to peer reviewed journal articles (for instance). It's not peer reviewed either. I personally found the writing confounding for the look of it. Long words where short ones would have done. ICBA to go through it with a fine tooth, but my first feeling is that is a non-academic's attempt to write an academic paper.

Exactly. It's trying to sound plausible by trying to sound highbrow. And falling on its arse on both counts.

Prof. Mitchel Townsend from Winlock, USA says he have discovered evidence for Bigfoot's existence.
Just asking. Is it true the Russian Academy of Science has declared their (Bigfoot, Yeti, whatever) to actually exist ?

(quote tags sorted out - stu)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asking. Is it true the Russian Academy of Science has declared their (Bigfoot, Yeti, whatever) to actually exist ?

(quote tags sorted out - stu)

No Brig. There are groups in Russia that have and will continue to make fantastic claims. Some will even be ex or current professionals in scientific fields. But, that's more to do with how to make money in a difficult environment.

To my eyes, Russian hominid research is a worse farce that elsewhere in the world. But that is my opinion.

Reactions: Jim
The Soviet Academy of Sciences - circa 1958 - took the snowman issue seriously enough to fund some field work to the Pamirs lead by the respected historian Boris Porshnev, who believed in the continued existence of Neanderthals.The expedition did not arrive back with sufficient evidence and the whole thing fell out of disfavour (and Kruschev apparently had a suspicion that the whole fad was some sort of western plot anyway).

It is the case, however, that since that time the State Darwin Museum in Moscow has hosted monthly meetings by the International Centre for Hominology (as it now calls itself) who continue the search for Almas. This is lead by two veterans of the field: Michael Trachtengerts (ex-engineer) and Igor Burtsev, (ex aeronautic engineer and Doctor of Philosophy) both now in their late seventies and eighties.Both of these men are very sincere in their beliefs. They survive on pensions and other bits of work and are probably losing more money than they make from this.

Interest in man-like apes is less of a commercial cult in Russia than in North America and survives on a shoestring (although, via Burtsev, it does have strong links with the North American scene).It gets intermittent coverage from the more sensationalistic end of the popular press and TV shows.As in the West though, they do have some friends in high places - even Putin - in more peaceful times - (albeit with tongue in cheek -?) once invited tourists to come to Russia to look for the snowman

Last edited:
CFZ Press will be releasing an English translation of Boris Porshnev's book The Problem of Relic Hominids later this year. Only 200 or so editions were ever printed, all in Russian. We tracked down his great nephew and got the rights.

That's great news, and I look forward to getting hold of it... somehow.

Porshnev's writings have since been reprinted in Russian - by Algorithm - and have been available in all good Russian bookshops for a couple of years. There is even a foreword at the beginning by a famous (in Russia) TV naturalist.

Bullshit. No bigfoot or yeti or wtf ever exists. We would have known about it by now. I agree its interesting to think about or i wouldnt be here. But even the patterson film, while it may be a "good" hoax, its still a hoax. There arent creatures like this. Its about as useless as trying to disprove the existence of God. U cant do it.

Bullshit. No bigfoot or yeti or wtf ever exists. We would have known about it by now. I agree its interesting to think about or i wouldnt be here. But even the patterson film, while it may be a "good" hoax, its still a hoax. There arent creatures like this. Its about as useless as trying to disprove the existence of God. U cant do it.
No one is trying to disprove Yeti. They are trying to prove his existence. There have been several large wild animals only recently discovered, that wee under the very noses of locals who thought that everyone knew about them. Never say "never" because it could come back and bite you.

Personally I'd agree, but I've invested a bit of time here saying why I've come to that conclusion. Saying it's all just a load of wank doesn't really add anything does it.

Please, come on say something, otherwise any comment becomes nothing more than those exhibited on one of those inane skeptic (yes with a K) sites which make no better argument than their exact opposites.

One of the reasons why I find this site so good is that any argument is backed up.

Thanks for putting us right. Mods, shut the thread down please, we've now firmly established that Bigfoot doesn't exist because Var1ent said it doesn't.

Back