• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scientist Say "Hypnotism Is For Real"

NilesCalder

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Scientist Say "Hypontism Is For Real"

Independent, 18-02-2002

American Association for the Advancement of Science

Hypnotism is for real, scientists say after brain-scan study of volunteers
By Steve Connor

Hypnotism produces physical changes in the brain, according to a study showing that the favourite stage act of 19th- century magicians has a genuine scientific basis and could play an important role as a painkiller in medicine.

Scientists who hypnotised a group of volunteers have shown that the state induces a change in blood flow to the brain that cannot be explained by the power of suggestion. Hypnotism, they concluded, is for real.

<snip>

"It's thought to be something that takes away control from a patient, but it's actually something that enhances their own self control. So you can teach people how to manage their anxiety, how to manage their pain and they are grateful for it."

The study involved scanning the brains of eight hypnotised volunteers who were first screened to see how susceptible they were to hypnosis. About half the population could be hypnotised to a moderate extent, and about 10 per cent were "highly hypnotisable", the scientists found.

The subjects were made to look at a grid of patterns that could be turned from black and white into colour. When hypnotised, they were asked to imagine colours when there were none, and black and white when there were colours. A brain scanner was used to measure blood flow to certain regions of the subject's brain, such as the fusiform gyrus, which is involved in processing the visual information relating to coloured images. Professor Spiegel said: "What we found is that, as we predicted, when the highly hypnotisables thought they were seeing colour but were seeing black and white, there was an increase in the blood flow in the fusiform gyrus.

"And when they thought they were seeing black and white but were really seeing in colour, there was a decrease in blood flow. So believing was seeing.

"In fact when they believed they were looking at colour, the part of their brain that processes colour vision showed increased blood flow and when they believed they were looking at black and white it showed decreased blood flow."

The findings cannot be explained by the simple "power of persuasion" that some sceptics have used to discredit hypnosis, Professor Spiegel said. "They [the volunteers] are not just telling you what you want to hear, they are actually able to change the way the brain perceives information and that has tremendous therapeutic potential. This is scientific evidence that something unusual happens in the brain that doesn't happen ordinarily when people are hypnotised. There's been a whole school of argument that hypnosis is nothing more than an exaggerated form of social compliance, that people are just telling you what you think you want to hear."

<snip>

I wonder if Fortean Times realises that when it encourages us to include the whole article, it encourages us to breach copyright.

That being said, on some hypnotism shows, they make someone believe everybody in the room is naked. How do you get someone to do that to you? :D Imagine if you believed that every beautiful woman you came across was naked. It would only be your imagination but could still be quite cool :p :D

I believe the way stage hynotism works is not to make you believe anything or do something against your will. Instead it somehow removes your inhibitions. Someone who was hypnotised and, for example, made to think he's Elvis know exactly what he was doing but just didn't care. When somebody is "told" to behave in a certain way, all they are is playing along with it, pretending to be that person or whatever, but with no sense of embarrassment. In a way, I guess it's a bit like being drunk.

Could it be the "party atmosphere" thet makes the subject do what's expected of him/her? I think most people would go along with most things rather than appear uncool or unpopular.

And the party hypnotist picks his own subjects too, he's not exactly going to choose the one sat there with his arms cross looking sceptical, but the ones who look like they're up for a laugh.
I've been hypnotized, and i think the principle driving factor behind anyone "under" hypnosis, it that they want to please the hypnotist. they've paid for this, or they've come voluntarily, or whatever.
i didn't feel paticularly any change when i was "under" but i was wanting to co-operate. he suggested he might do a past life regression, and i was up for that. while he was doing his spiel, i was sat there thinking of some generic past life i could come out with, because nothing real was coming to mind.

i agree about it removing inhibitions. people might do things they wouldn't normally do like pretend to seduce a broom or whatever, because suddenly they've got an excuse; they're hypnotised. i've seen interviews with Paul McKenna's subjects, including one who was told she was seeing the entire audience naked. she said she never saw that at all, but she thought the idea was funny so she laughed and reacted accordingly.

Back