Scotland: Wind Power Generation Slumps

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Scots face 50% energy bills rise crisis as wind power generation slumps

By Martin Williams
The Herald
24 December, 2021

"Energy bills could rise as much as 50% in the spring as the UK faces a “national crisis” over soaring wholesale gas and electricity prices as renewable generation has slumped helped by the lowest Scottish wind speeds of this century".

(...)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...lls-rise-crisis-wind-power-generation-slumps/

Whit...nae wind in Scotland...

Never, ever, ever, though I would hear that said.

This can only mean one thing...

Compress_20211224_103521_1812.jpg

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Can't say I haven't noticed no wind (if that makes sense).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Don't get me started on windfarms, they're an absolute scandal.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I hope I’m not going to be paying for this fuck up. I wanted more power stations, nuclear if possible, to generate all the power for our futuristic wheelie shopping commodes.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
It’s a pity they don’t have a ton of oil to fall back on really.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Wind power generation has slumped again with the current high pressure area over the UK. It looks as though we can expect more of the same weather for the rest of the month punctuated by short wet spells as low pressure systems move in from the Atlantic but these are forecast to be very short 24 hours or so, with the high pressure weather system remaining dominant for the next few weeks.

While this is pleasant for people who, like me, dislike the grey weather it will cause low wind power generation and, while not especially cold, gas usage will be high for heating due to cold nights and mornings. It increases our dependence on gas imports, and current CO2 emissions at the time of writing are 300g CO2/kWh which is significantly higher than usual (December 2021 average was 195g CO2/kWh).

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What happened to all that Hydroelectricity we were told would bring Scotia out of the Middle Ages?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
What happened to all that Hydroelectricity we were told would bring Scotia out of the Middle Ages?

The funds seem to have gone to wind power. Which is a terrible, environmentally damaging idea. But hydroelectric power is still a thing, and every so often they try to raise its profile. Whether it would work, I dunno, but it has to be better, more reliable, and not as destructive to the environment as wind power.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
...not as destructive to the environment as wind power.
Not always. If a dam has to be built and land flooded, that's not good for the existing environment.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Microhydro is promising. There are newer turbine designs that utilise turbulent flow to generate power even where traditional hydro wouldn't work, such as those from this Belgian hydroelectric turbine company.

Similarly micro- and pico-generation from wind can produce electricity from different wind speeds than conventional turbines. Unfortunately the large generating companies don't like this kind of technology and will try to ensure it doesn't become popular. It wouldn't do for ordinary plebs to generate enough power for modest needs, would it?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Microhydro is promising. There are newer turbine designs that utilise turbulent flow to generate power even where traditional hydro wouldn't work, such as those from this Belgian hydroelectric turbine company.

Similarly micro- and pico-generation from wind can produce electricity from different wind speeds than conventional turbines. Unfortunately the large generating companies don't like this kind of technology and will try to ensure it doesn't become popular. It wouldn't do for ordinary plebs to generate enough power for modest needs, would it?
Government wouldn't like it much either, as it would be difficult to tax.