• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
I was listening to the Obscurities podcast, hosted by b-movie queen Debbie Rochon, and came across her episode on Scott, who I hadn't heard of.
https://www.debbierochon.com/obscurities-podcast

This is the description of the episode:
Scott Gearen is the kind of man who always walks around with a wide smile on his face. He is loved and respected by many, and has a passion for fitness, faith, his country, and life. It is believed by many, that those with this relentless positive mindset have often experienced some of the darkest times that one could only imagine. Scott Gearen embodies this. He has lived a near-death experience and had two brushes with unexplainable paranormal encounters. This is his story.
His first eperinece was as part of an elite paracute team in the military. Due to some mistiming, he had another jumper go through his chute and he had a tough landing. He recovered from this, and was able to rejoin his team even after everybody thought he would be out of the military forever.

The second thing was after his military service, where he was in a hotel and could see an object that appeared to be a UFO... the description makes it almost sound like a living UFO, Jordan Peele "Nope" style. He took a series of photos of the object in question, and they are in his book Hiding In Plain Sight...: There is Something up there, and it is like nothing you have ever seen... Until now...
https://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Plain-Sight-Something-nothing/dp/1735465909
The description of the book:
Hiding In Plain Sight is the first and only photographic series of an Unidentified Flying Object in the earth's atmosphere in history. These pictures are authentic, unaltered, and unbelievable if not for the proof presented in this book. You are guaranteed to have an "OMG" moment. If you had any doubt about UFO's this book will make you a believer.
Apparently there are many photos in the book, but the only one I can find is the one on the cover.
scottUFO.png
And one odd detail in the podcast: he said that he couldn't see it with the naked eye. Instead, he could only see it with sunglasses on.

Does anybody know more about this sighting?

Looks like a kite to me, or a plastic bag caught in the wind.

Here are two more images from his book; the left hand one looks like the same translucent kite thingy, or possibly just a transparent plastic bag floating in the air; the other one is the same thing out-of-focus, forming a pair of overlapping Airy disks.

61+dx1uKXTL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX256.jpg

This is very poor evidence indeed, on the face of it.

I was listening to the Obscurities podcast, hosted by b-movie queen Debbie Rochon, and came across her episode on Scott, who I hadn't heard of.
https://www.debbierochon.com/obscurities-podcast

This is the description of the episode:

His first eperinece was as part of an elite paracute team in the military. Due to some mistiming, he had another jumper go through his chute and he had a tough landing. He recovered from this, and was able to rejoin his team even after everybody thought he would be out of the military forever.

The second thing was after his military service, where he was in a hotel and could see an object that appeared to be a UFO... the description makes it almost sound like a living UFO, Jordan Peele "Nope" style. He took a series of photos of the object in question, and they are in his book Hiding In Plain Sight...: There is Something up there, and it is like nothing you have ever seen... Until now...
https://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Plain-Sight-Something-nothing/dp/1735465909
The description of the book:

Apparently there are many photos in the book, but the only one I can find is the one on the cover.
View attachment 63921
And one odd detail in the podcast: he said that he couldn't see it with the naked eye. Instead, he could only see it with sunglasses on.

Does anybody know more about this sighting?

Some biography re Gearen:

http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/2016/stories/dc-superhero.html

For more info on Pararescuemen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Pararescue

maximus otter

Interesting. A few weeks ago I heard another witness (in a phone-in on LBC Radio at the time of the recent 'Chinese spy balloon' flap) who claimed she had been sunbathing in her garden and was wearing very dark sunglasses when she spotted a strange object above her, which she said she couldn't see when she looked at it without the sunglasses on. She put the glasses back on and could then see it again through them. I can't remember much about the description of the object but it was something she was baffled by and she sounded like she was honestly puzzled by the incident. I think it was somewhere in London or South East of England. The host of the phone-in was regular LBC presenter Iain Dale, who claims to have witnessed a fairly lengthy sighting of strangely behaving lights in the sky when he was in his teens, but still appears to be quite sceptical.

I also think something akin to this appeared on an episode of "Paranormal : Caught on Camera" where someone on a Russian city street filmed an object on his phone through the lens of his sunglasses, but when he filmed it without holding the sunglasses in place no object was visible. It was one of the clips where you think "Wow..... that's probably a fake".... but who knows?

Interesting. A few weeks ago I heard another witness (in a phone-in on LBC Radio at the time of the recent 'Chinese spy balloon' flap) who claimed she had been sunbathing in her garden and was wearing very dark sunglasses when she spotted a strange object above her, which she said she couldn't see when she looked at it without the sunglasses on. She put the glasses back on and could then see it again through them. I can't remember much about the description of the object but it was something she was baffled by and she sounded like she was honestly puzzled by the incident. I think it was somewhere in London or South East of England. The host of the phone-in was regular LBC presenter Iain Dale, who claims to have witnessed a fairly lengthy sighting of strangely behaving lights in the sky when he was in his teens, but still appears to be quite sceptical.

I also think something akin to this appeared on an episode of "Paranormal : Caught on Camera" where someone on a Russian city street filmed an object on his phone through the lens of his sunglasses, but when he filmed it without holding the sunglasses in place no object was visible. It was one of the clips where you think "Wow..... that's probably a fake".... but who knows?
A possible explanation...?

Polarising sunglasses are designed to increase the visibility of objects with strongly polarised reflectance and decrease sky glare, so one shouldn't be surprised it they make certain things visible.

One curious phenomenon which can be seen using polarised light is Haidinger's Brush; however this is not a phenomenon in the sky, but rather the result of weak polarisation within the eye of the observer.

https://www.polarization.com/haidinger/haidinger.html
brush.png

Looks like he has a few videos up:

Motion images:
16 second clip of video taken at Panama City Beach Florida in 2019. The object is cycling through changes, this is one cycle where you can see the object energize itself into a round blur and then back into a defined object. Object is unidentified and still unknown what it is. The camera and lens focus does not change, whatever the object is doing causes the changes where it appears out of focus.
blown up stills (which I think are blow-ups from the video):
Taken April 30, 2019 off the coast of Panama City, Florida. Estimated elevation was approximately 10K ft, taken with a Sony A6000 and a 210mm lens.

It's starting to look like a partially deflated toy balloon, perhaps with a metallic or iridescent skin. The 'round blur' is a double Airy Disk, and is caused by the camera, even though he says it isn't. The Sony A6000 has autofocus, and it must have temporarily focused on something else for a fraction of a second.

It does look like a silver balloon. I'm always dubious about estimated elevations.

This is a less deflated heart-shaped balloon, last seen heading out over the English Channel at 07.15 on the 26th May 2020. I was outside having my early coffee and saw something glinting in the sunshine. It was taken with an 800mm lens (400mm with a 2x extender). Somebody on the local Facebook page said they'd seen a silver object in the sky and I was able to show them what it was.
The other balloon was an escaped rectangular 70th birthday balloon.

balloons.jpg

It's starting to look like a partially deflated toy balloon, perhaps with a metallic or iridescent skin. The 'round blur' is a double Airy Disk, and is caused by the camera, even though he says it isn't. The Sony A6000 has autofocus, and it must have temporarily focused on something else for a fraction of a second.
Perhaps there wasn't sufficient contrast as the object rotated, causing the autofocus to momentarily hunt.

It looks to me more like something kite-like due to the clear spine on it...

I wonder if that might be an artifact of the processing of the photos by Gearen. Compared to the movie clip, the stills have much higher contrast and sharpness, presumably done in Photoshop or something similar.

Back