• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scream Baffles Ohio Town

smoothvirus

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
LIBERTY, Ohio -- An unusual and noisy mystery has people in a small town north of Middletown on edge, worried and asking questions, News 5’s Brian Hamrick reported.

Liberty, Ohio, is a quiet little community, except for one thing -- the scream.

Jamie Young told Hamrick she heard it while she and her husband were walking one evening.

“It scared me. I didn’t want to finish my walk,” Young said.

But instead of running into her house, she said she recorded the noise and sent a tape to the local newspaper.

With a sensitive microphone and some special ghost-hunting goggles, Hamrick went hunting for the haunting sounds, traipsing boldly into the most likely spots -- from a graveyard to an old church where flea market dealer Walt Wilson sells some truly frightening things. But he’s not worried.

“I don’t think it’s going to wind up grabbing any of us and running off with us,” Wilson said.

Residents have no shortage of ideas about what’s making the sound, from cats to owls to something even scarier.

Townspeople said they called in an animal expert, who told them the noise didn’t come from an animal.

So for now, the scream remains a mystery.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4 ... etail.html

There's a video link at that page with audio of the "scream".

And some really cheesy antics from the local reporter. :roll:

I'm a very rational guy but I do believe if I heard that while walking in the woods I'd beat feet! Yikes!

The "scream" is really hair-raising. It almost sounds like some piece of machinery with a bad belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
The report doesn't make it clear if the noise had been heard more than once or if all the folk featured had heard the sound at diferent times. I think the woman who mentions teenagers hanging around is probably close to the explanation imo. It reminded me of the whooping of a Jerry Springer show audience!

Sounds like a howling dog or wolf to me.

Are there many reports of Bigfoot round Ohio way?

Noted Sasquatch author Chris Murphy is working on a book about Bigfoot in Ohio entitled Encounters with the Grassman. For a quick summary take a look at http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/grassman.htm

The sound I heard on the local TV story broadcast did have a resemblance to various sound files I've heard on the net which are claimed to be Sasquatch. The TV reporter clearly had ridicule in mind, I wonder why he didn't mention Sasquatch?

it sounds to me like a dog type animal with a sore throat. either that or someone doing an impression of one #?

European foxes have some uncanny calls - even more so if they were heard in the US!

What I hate when "weird" things are being shown on TV is that they absolutely HAVE TO take the piss out of the whole thing. Personally I think its teenagers but its a pet hate of mine the way TV handles anything that might be supernatural.

Re. the scream.

I've listened to it - for the life of me it sounds like its a recording played back at less than half-speed.

It also sounds like something from "Godzilla" :lol:

Using the cat as a reference, it (the cat) was most excited at the noise played 2xspeed rather than at 1xspeed.

If the 'thing' were an animal or bird, it would have to have a big set o'lungs or large flappy cheek/throat resonating cavity-things to make that much noise. I think someone would have noticed...

I go for someone with a backpack and a pair o' speakers, etc.

love
Baziz

Reminded me of a story told in Newquay, Cornwall of the Gannel Crake.

The Gannel Crake
This name is given to a terrible sound heard on the Gannel at different times of the day and the night. Some say it is the call of a vixen or perhaps an unusual bird while others say it is the cry of " a tortured human soul ". A man who heard it in the 1800's said " it was like nothing on earth, like a thousand voices pent up in misery, with one long wail dying away in the distance" .Who knows what this strange phenomenon could be ?.

Taken from The Newquay Guide

bazizmaduno said:
Re. the scream.

I've listened to it - for the life of me it sounds like its a recording played back at less than half-speed.

It also sounds like something from "Godzilla" :lol:

Using the cat as a reference, it (the cat) was most excited at the noise played 2xspeed rather than at 1xspeed.

Thats interetsing - have you tried taking an animal sound and slowing it down to see how it goes?

-----
I was also intrigued by this:

special ghost-hunting goggles

Anyone know what these are? I have a pair of X-ray specs and would like to add this to my collection of unusual eyewear.

Hi Emps
Thats interetsing - have you tried taking an animal sound and slowing it down to see how it goes?

I've tried a few bird noises, but with little success. I only have primitive equipment (eg micro$oft sound recorder). It may be a question of getting the right sound-file. I'd guess at a (young) bird or a mammal, such as a mouse, vole etc.

Of course - it could always be real :shock:

I dunno, I listened to it and it didnt't sound scary to me. I realise it was recorded but it sounded like a mechanically-generated sound. Or a recording of a peacock. They sound horrible!

Hmmm does sound somewhat creepy,

I am slightly confused, the report and the fact that someone had time to go home get a microphone and record the sound means that this is scream happens a lot,or at least has happend before

I would say animal personally,
I live with a 5 mile "forest" as my back garden and every night I hear some strange noises that can be scary unless your used to it and they are mostly foxes and badgers, I must admit I have never heard anything like that before.

Back