Sea Serpents & Monsters

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Re: Black Sea monster

All I glean from this is never trust a Sevastopol ichthyologist. ;) It is indeed a goblin shark and they're found all over the world.

...the main puzzle is how such a predator came to be in the Black Sea at all.
Call me crazy, but I'd hazard a guess that it swam there. :D

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
As made famous by the blockbuster 'Malibu Shark Attack', featuring the endearing and versatile Chelan Simmons.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Chinese find 55ft 'sea monster'

A GIANT 55 foot 'sea monster' has been found washed up on a beach in China.

The beast from the deep is so badly decayed it cannot be identified.

But according to local reports from Guangdong, in the south-east of the country, it weighed at least 4.5 TONS.

One fisherman, known only as Hwang, 66, said he was astonished by the find.

People have flocked to see the creature — despite the rotting corpse's foul stench.

It was found tangled in ropes and one theory is fisherman caught it but could not land it as it was so big.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3652122/Chinese-find-55ft-sea-monster.html

maximus otter

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Looks to me like what I'd imagine a giant squid to look like.

Appears to maybe be a bit of bone sticking out at bottom right.

that said, it is probably something entirely normal that has been spun into a 'sea monster' story... Random pictures from overseas with amazing sub-texts always seem to end up to be something logical that has had some ridiculous story tacked on involving a witness known only by their first name.

It is The Sun, but good to see old-fashioned xenophobia alive and well in the comments section.

:roll:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I like the slightly finessed claim that while (contrary to general belief) the Chinese won't actually eat anything, they are willing to sell you anything to eat.

yogabbagabba

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Alaskan sea monster

Paul LeBlond, former head of the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences at the University of British Columbia, told Discovery News: 'I am quite impressed with the video.
'Although it was shot under rainy circumstances in a bouncy ship, it's very genuine.'
The Cadborosaurus willsi, meaning 'reptile' or 'lizard' from Cadboro Bay, is an alleged sea serpent from the North Pacific thought to have a long neck, a horse-like head, large eyes, and back bumps that stick out of the water.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1SeYRqZCn

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/alaskan ... cpgn=snag1

titch

Justified & Ancient
The shot of the "head" makes me think log , but then the "body" seems to move like an animal...maybe thats the effect of the waves :? is very interesting anyway.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Thor Heyerdahl sea monster attack.

I'm sure I didn't imagine this. Years ago when I was in school we had what I think was a comprehension lesson which involved an extract from an account by Thor Heyerdahl about one of his voyages. It focused on a night time encounter he and the crew had with an unknown creature somewhere in the mid ocean.

As I remember he described it as being quite small and lamprey like. Again as I remember it the incident happened at night the creature somehow got onto the boat and attacked the men whilst most were asleep. After a struggle, during which the only light source was smashed, they managed to drive it overboard.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know I didn't make it up and I'm sure it was a factual account.

cpaxton

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not Thor Heyerdahl

Thor Heyerdahl did see some strange bioluminescent animals whilst on his expedition but that is not the explorer you are thinking of. You are thinking of Eric de Bisschop who did a follow up expedition on a raft Tahiti-Nui. He reported a merbeing type animal coming onboard and attacking a crew member although the account is written slightly ambiguously and is not found in another account of the voyage by Bengt Danielsson which makes me think it was a sort of dream sequence put in the narrative for reasons unknown.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I found this account:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/pjc12/K... Tahiti-Nui Expedition.htm#_Section_3_Heading

Which says this:

'Over their radio they listened to spurious reports that the raft had been dismasted, that the crew was injured by the attack of a giant fish, that giant molluscs had attached themselves to the raft and were dragging it down. The expedition had taken on a distinctly Vernian tone.'

So...this attack was probably speculation in the news about their fate?

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Solved. Amyasleigh has PM'ed me with the details. It was on the Kon-Tiki in 1947.

It didn't attack them so much as get on board and thrash about a bit, I'm sure it wanted to attack them, that's what sea monsters do.

AM remembers him describing it as a 'snake mackerel'.

So what could it have been?

Thanks all for the replies all of which I'm going to look up when I've got a bit of time.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
oldrover said:
Solved. Amyasleigh has PM'ed me with the details. It was on the Kon-Tiki in 1947.

It didn't attack them so much as get on board and thrash about a bit, I'm sure it wanted to attack them, that's what sea monsters do.

AM remembers him describing it as a 'snake mackerel'.

So what could it have been?

Thanks all for the replies all of which I'm going to look up when I've got a bit of time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_mackerel

That article mentions the Kon-Tiki expedition.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Thanks for that, cleared it up I think.

:| To be honest I was hoping for something a bit more slavering and vindictive than that.

By the way welcome to the forum cpaxton.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Well if it is solved i hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread rather then starting a new one.

I recall when i was a kiddie wink watching an Arthur c clark tv show, in which the story was told of an USN destroyer that picked up a large object heading towards from beneath the waves, then the ship was reportedly attacked, and when it got to safety the bottom of the ship had some tooth marks in it.

I must have created a false memory surely? if this happened as i imagine i seen it, the truth of sea monsters would have been established beyond doubt.

Can anybody show to me that i am not going mad?

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Not at all.

I warn you though it does fall a bit flat, but I don't care, because if I can't have a sea monster I don't see why anyone else should.

It happened in the Med to a U.S frigate it didn't pick anything up though, more that the sonar operator heard nasty grinding noises after which the system went down.

In port they found... and this is where the book and the TV series differ. The book says hundreds of teeth from an animal as yet unknown to science, the TV show though had one of the ship's officers on it. He showed one of the 'teeth', it was one of those tooth like things giant squid have on their suckers.

Still very unusual but not as mysterious as it might have been.