• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sea Serpents & Monsters (General; Miscellaneous)

after finding the above book and doing google searches I found some related "back up" reports on same
The sketch above is of a creature sighted many times since 1976 in the waters around San Francisco Bay. It has been sighted near Stinson beach and Agate Beach. A road crew spotted the creature in November 1983 at 2:30 pm from a cliff above the water. A description of the creature from a Stinson beach sightings stated the animal was about 100 ft long, 5 ft in diameter and black in color. It was observed trashing about and speeding around.
Sea Serpents have also been reported off the North American West Coast too. There have been many reports from along the Pacific coast near Vancouver of several different shaped creatures including a snake-like sea serpent. Further south more reports center around the city of San Fransico.

On November 1st, 1983, a construction crew was working on Route 1 just north of the Golden Gate Bridge near Stinson Beach. Suddenly they spotted a creature, underwater, approaching the land. They estimated the creature's length at 100 feet and it's diameter at five. Using binoculars they watched it making coils, throwing it's head about and whipping it's body around. http://theshadowlands.net/serpent2.htm

Two years later, in San Fransico bay, twins Robert and William Clark were sitting in a car near the sea wall. They watched two seals swimming extremely fast across the bay. Then they noticed a "large black snake-like" animal" chasing the seals. They saw that the creature moved by forming it's body into coils and wiggling up and down. The animal apparently also had small, translucent fan-like fins that acted as stabilizers.
http://www.unmuseum.org/seasnake.htm
California Sea Serpent Flap
California Sea Serpent Flap
During October and November 1983, several sightings of a dark, eel-like creature came from the California coast. (Stinson Beach, north of San Francisco, and Costa Mesa). Three humps (just like in the classic sea serpents on old maps) followed a small head, which rose above the surface to look around. Many individuals saw the serpent, some with binoculars. At Stinson Beach, the animals was followed by about 100 birds and two dozen sea lions.

(Anonymous; "'Sea Serpents' Seen off California Coast," International Society of Cryptozoology Newsletter, 2:9, Winter 1983.)

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf033/sf033p12.htm

More sea serpent = whale whanger:

Found at sea

Something monstrous lurks beneath water

Marc Abrahams
Tuesday November 1, 2005
The Guardian

Courtship Behaviour of Ostriches Towards Humans Under Farming Conditions in Britain is the title of a scientific study written by Charles Paxton and three colleagues. In 2002, when I informed Paxton that his team would be awarded that year's Ig Nobel biology prize, he took the news matter-of-factly. "I'm not surprised to be getting this telephone call," he said, "but I expected that if I ever won an Ig Nobel prize, it would be for my work with sea monsters."

This year, Paxton and two colleagues, Erik Knatterud and Sharon Hedley, published a study about sea monsters that will change the way scientists look at them. Paxton and Hedley are at St Andrews University in Scotland, Knatterud is based in Stavsjoe, Norway.

Here are four surprising facts about Charles Paxton:

1. Of the four ostrich researchers, he was the ostriches' favourite.

2. It would be misleading to say that he studies ostriches. Paxton no longer works with long-necked, sexually aggressive birds. These days his main research work concerns fish.

3. He is a friend of the celebrated and glamorous biologist Olivia Judson, whose book, Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation, which presents detailed, deliciously graphic how-to sex advice from the fictional doctor to a variety of fish, birds, reptiles, mammals, slime moulds and other species, was all the rage several years ago. Paxton and Judson were students together at Oxford University.

4. It is slightly misleading to say, as some do, that he studies sea monsters. What he studies are reports about sea monsters. Sea monster reports are, for him, part scholarly research, part pastime.

You may have noticed a hint of a pattern in facts number one, two and three: sex. Charles Paxton's newest sea monster report, published in the Archives of Natural History, continues the pattern. It gives a fresh interpretation to an old sea-monster sighting.

In 1741, a Danish-Norwegian missionary named Hans Egede published what became a famous account of "a most dreadful monster" that appeared off the coast of Greenland. "The case is interesting," the modern scientists write, "in that Egede had drawn and described a number of large northern whale species in his book, so he obviously felt the 'dreadful' monster was something different."

Paxton says that most historians have relied solely on a bad translation of Egede's book. He and his colleagues apply modern biological insights to the case.

Egede's animal had a serpent-like tail that appeared out of the water when the rest of the beast had disappeared. But rather than a tail, Paxton et al say, this was most likely a penis. They present photographs of well-endowed male whales, and also a drawing from Egede's book, in which we see the sea monster's serpent-like tail. The latter is remarkably similar to what we see in the photographs.

The case is not proved definitively, but it should be an inspiration to both biologists and whale-watching tourists.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekl ... 09,00.html

Hans Egerdes creature was probably a beaked whale

I was told this by a top Cetologist.

He didnt mention no whang.

Knowing this universe, this is so bizarre and stupid it is probably true.

SF Sea Serpent

SF Sea Serpent

All the latest about sightings of sea serpents in San Francisco Bay and the West Coast of California

There was a loud crash and with a spray of water the creature seemed to stop dead in its tracks. The sea lion, apparently being familiar with the shoreline, had swum over a shelf of rocks bringing the beast into shallow water, only three feet deep. Instantaneously, a long black neck popped up, twisted backwards away from shore,

go here for all info and pics >> http://home.access4less.net/~sfseaserpent/index.html

En même temps, une enquête rapporte qu'une créature avait fait surface, parait-il, ressemblant à celle de l'immense Cthulhu, au large de la Malaisie; D'après une lettre de Pursuit (v21, n2, p89, 1988) de Keith L. Partain, un de ses collègues décrivit, pour l'avoir vue, " un énorme poulpe, peut-être d'origine extra terrestre " (J'essaie toujours de localiser la lettre dans le fichier SITU)

This is from the oeil du sphynx website. Emperor, my man, you wouldnt happen to have any info on that giant octopus of possibly alien origine? Because I'm certain a case like this would be well known and maybe even well documented.

Bouncing this up to the top as another example of swimming elephants. :) (for the benefit of readers of the Nessie thread)

Washed up Sea Monster? or not

Well I for one think it looks ikky...

Sea monster - or a load of old barnacles?
The Dominion Post | Friday, 8 June 2007

Nightmarish sea monster or natural wonder?
A 14-metre, tentacle-covered mass has horrified and fascinated Waikanae beachgoers this week.

However, Conservation Department community relations programme manager Stacy Moore said it was actually a lot of goose barnacles (Lepas anatifera), each about 30 centimetres long with a shell attached to each long pinkish tube. They were stuck to a piece of wood or rope.

Goose barnacles were carried on driftwood, rope or the bottom of ships. Timber cast ashore was often completely covered with the barnacles.

The barnacles prompted one of Britain's strangest ancient animal beliefs. The heart- shaped shell was believed to resemble the head of the barnacle goose, Branta leucopsis.

Because the geese rarely nested in Britain, no one saw the eggs or nests, prompting the belief that the geese grew up on the planks of ships and emerged clothed in feathers and flew away.

Ms Moore expected the mass on Waikanae Beach to remain just north of the Waimea Stream mouth till a storm surge swept it back out to sea.

Here with photo

Mr P

It sort of reminds me of a pink version of that famous tadpole sea monster picture. A photo that used to be on this site, but now I can't find.

Black Sea monster

A report on Russian TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjfIxeygDCM

The commentary is:

An unknown sea monster has been caught in the Black Sea not far from Sevastopol. It has such an evil-looking appearance that it made even experienced fishermen shudder. The predator tried to attack one of the men, by the way, which cost it its life. For the moment Sevastopol ichthyologists are only conjecturing as to what the monster might be. The scientists have two versions: it's either a goblin shark that lives in the Sea of Japan or a relict species of shark that became extinct hundreds of thousands of years ago, but all the same the main puzzle is how such a predator came to be in the Black Sea at all.

i would say goblin shark , but i dont pretend to be an expert. :D

Re: Black Sea monster

All I glean from this is never trust a Sevastopol ichthyologist. ;) It is indeed a goblin shark and they're found all over the world.

...the main puzzle is how such a predator came to be in the Black Sea at all.

Call me crazy, but I'd hazard a guess that it swam there. :D

As made famous by the blockbuster 'Malibu Shark Attack', featuring the endearing and versatile Chelan Simmons.

Chinese find 55ft 'sea monster'

A GIANT 55 foot 'sea monster' has been found washed up on a beach in China.

The beast from the deep is so badly decayed it cannot be identified.

But according to local reports from Guangdong, in the south-east of the country, it weighed at least 4.5 TONS.

One fisherman, known only as Hwang, 66, said he was astonished by the find.

People have flocked to see the creature — despite the rotting corpse's foul stench.

It was found tangled in ropes and one theory is fisherman caught it but could not land it as it was so big.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3652122/Chinese-find-55ft-sea-monster.html

maximus otter

Looks to me like what I'd imagine a giant squid to look like.

Appears to maybe be a bit of bone sticking out at bottom right.

that said, it is probably something entirely normal that has been spun into a 'sea monster' story... Random pictures from overseas with amazing sub-texts always seem to end up to be something logical that has had some ridiculous story tacked on involving a witness known only by their first name.

It is The Sun, but good to see old-fashioned xenophobia alive and well in the comments section.

:roll:

I like the slightly finessed claim that while (contrary to general belief) the Chinese won't actually eat anything, they are willing to sell you anything to eat.

Alaskan sea monster

Paul LeBlond, former head of the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences at the University of British Columbia, told Discovery News: 'I am quite impressed with the video.
'Although it was shot under rainy circumstances in a bouncy ship, it's very genuine.'
The Cadborosaurus willsi, meaning 'reptile' or 'lizard' from Cadboro Bay, is an alleged sea serpent from the North Pacific thought to have a long neck, a horse-like head, large eyes, and back bumps that stick out of the water.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1SeYRqZCn

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/alaskan ... cpgn=snag1

The shot of the "head" makes me think log , but then the "body" seems to move like an animal...maybe thats the effect of the waves :? is very interesting anyway.

Thor Heyerdahl sea monster attack.

I'm sure I didn't imagine this. Years ago when I was in school we had what I think was a comprehension lesson which involved an extract from an account by Thor Heyerdahl about one of his voyages. It focused on a night time encounter he and the crew had with an unknown creature somewhere in the mid ocean.

As I remember he described it as being quite small and lamprey like. Again as I remember it the incident happened at night the creature somehow got onto the boat and attacked the men whilst most were asleep. After a struggle, during which the only light source was smashed, they managed to drive it overboard.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know I didn't make it up and I'm sure it was a factual account.

lordmongrove said:
I seem to recall them seeing bio-luminecant creatures of a fair size at night.

Yes, that was in the link in my previous post.

Back