• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sea Serpents & Monsters (General; Miscellaneous)

Not Thor Heyerdahl

Thor Heyerdahl did see some strange bioluminescent animals whilst on his expedition but that is not the explorer you are thinking of. You are thinking of Eric de Bisschop who did a follow up expedition on a raft Tahiti-Nui. He reported a merbeing type animal coming onboard and attacking a crew member although the account is written slightly ambiguously and is not found in another account of the voyage by Bengt Danielsson which makes me think it was a sort of dream sequence put in the narrative for reasons unknown.

I found this account:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/pjc12/K... Tahiti-Nui Expedition.htm#_Section_3_Heading

Which says this:

'Over their radio they listened to spurious reports that the raft had been dismasted, that the crew was injured by the attack of a giant fish, that giant molluscs had attached themselves to the raft and were dragging it down. The expedition had taken on a distinctly Vernian tone.'

So...this attack was probably speculation in the news about their fate?

Solved. Amyasleigh has PM'ed me with the details. It was on the Kon-Tiki in 1947.

It didn't attack them so much as get on board and thrash about a bit, I'm sure it wanted to attack them, that's what sea monsters do.

AM remembers him describing it as a 'snake mackerel'.

So what could it have been?

Thanks all for the replies all of which I'm going to look up when I've got a bit of time.

oldrover said:
Solved. Amyasleigh has PM'ed me with the details. It was on the Kon-Tiki in 1947.

It didn't attack them so much as get on board and thrash about a bit, I'm sure it wanted to attack them, that's what sea monsters do.

AM remembers him describing it as a 'snake mackerel'.

So what could it have been?

Thanks all for the replies all of which I'm going to look up when I've got a bit of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_mackerel

That article mentions the Kon-Tiki expedition.

Thanks for that, cleared it up I think.

:| To be honest I was hoping for something a bit more slavering and vindictive than that.

By the way welcome to the forum cpaxton.

Well if it is solved i hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread rather then starting a new one.

I recall when i was a kiddie wink watching an Arthur c clark tv show, in which the story was told of an USN destroyer that picked up a large object heading towards from beneath the waves, then the ship was reportedly attacked, and when it got to safety the bottom of the ship had some tooth marks in it.

I must have created a false memory surely? if this happened as i imagine i seen it, the truth of sea monsters would have been established beyond doubt.

Can anybody show to me that i am not going mad?

Not at all.

I warn you though it does fall a bit flat, but I don't care, because if I can't have a sea monster I don't see why anyone else should.

It happened in the Med to a U.S frigate it didn't pick anything up though, more that the sonar operator heard nasty grinding noises after which the system went down.

In port they found... and this is where the book and the TV series differ. The book says hundreds of teeth from an animal as yet unknown to science, the TV show though had one of the ship's officers on it. He showed one of the 'teeth', it was one of those tooth like things giant squid have on their suckers.

Still very unusual but not as mysterious as it might have been.

They were identified though as being the things from squid suckers.

Re: Irish sea monster?

lordmongrove said:
http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/is-this-irish-sea-monster.html

Sea serpent or bloke fishing?

Bloke fishing I reckon. Where is it? Crosshaven?

The bottom of County Kerry. Looks like a guy fishing with lobster traps of a keep net.

My apologies

I have mounted a lot of articles today so you will have to forgive any mistakes.

That's no excuse for being sloppy, and it doesn't make anyone else less likely to see your postings as a spam blitz ...

A nice new thread for collecting reports of sea serpents and monsters all in one place.

If anybody has a problem with multiple postings, or too much information, or isn't sure where to, or whether to, post a brand new thread, or etc. then probably better to PM a Mod, first. ;)

P_M

Back