• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sea Serpents & Monsters (General; Miscellaneous)

I assume I am not alone in supposing that given the body of evidence, that there may well be a species of cryptid that is quite rare, of a large marine reptile-like animal that is quite capable of entering fresh water, and that accounts for so-called lake monsters occurring in multiple locations? Not so much a single Loch Ness Monster or Ogopogo etc, but a trans-atlantic species with an unknown range and an unknown depth, that is able to find its way in and out of bodies of fresh water that it periodically visits to feed. We must assume they don't breed in fresh water, or we may have detected their spawn.

As to sea serpents; some eels get pretty big, and so do some snakes.

I assume I am not alone in supposing that given the body of evidence, that there may well be a species of cryptid that is quite rare, of a large marine reptile-like animal that is quite capable of entering fresh water, and that accounts for so-called lake monsters occurring in multiple locations? Not so much a single Loch Ness Monster or Ogopogo etc, but a trans-atlantic species with an unknown range and an unknown depth, that is able to find its way in and out of bodies of fresh water that it periodically visits to feed. We must assume they don't breed in fresh water, or we may have detected their spawn.

As to sea serpents; some eels get pretty big, and so do some snakes.
Well to get into Loch Ness it’s going to have to negotiate some Locks! But still undiscovered large marine animals, statistically, yes. For example see
Paxton, C. 1998. A cumulative species description curve for large open water marine animals. Journal of the Marine Biologists Association, U.K. 78, 1389-1391.
[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Abstract
[/FONT]
A cumulative species description curve (from 1830 to 1995) is given for open water marine fauna in excess of 2 m long in the major axis of the body. This curve has not yet closely approached its asymptote. Estimation by maximum likelihood fit of a hyperbola suggests a maximum of some 47 species awaiting formal scientific description and an approximate current rate of description of one new species every 5·3 years. Consideration of the most recently described species and recent observations by field workers suggests that any imminent species descriptions are most likely to be cetaceans.

The whole paper is not available online.

Well to get into Loch Ness it’s going to have to negotiate some Locks! But still undiscovered large marine animals, statistically, yes.
Hmm... 6 miles to the sea, but there are a series of smaller streams and lakes all over the landscape leading to the sea. A catfish could do it, or an eel.

Agreed but not really a large marine reptile then?
Well given we know nothing about the marine reptile in question... how can we really say? A crocodile could do it too, were it not for the nasty weather. IDK what plesiosaur cold resistance is like, but they could survive in the Atlantic so it can't have been too bad, assuming we are even dealing with a plesiosaur.

Whatever this is in #3.

Catfish like head on plesiosaur like body. Looks like a hoax with a model. However the first aquatic creature resembles a young beaked whale. The raised areas on the bottom jaw are pockets were the two knife like teeth are contained.
Stranded-specimen-involved-An-adult-old-male-Blainvilles-beaked-whale-Mesoplodon.png

Found elsewhere, this clipping from 1980 describes a plesiosaur like creature sighted off Darwin, Australia by a local police officer. The sighting took place over a 20 minute duration close to where a similar creature had been reported 2 years earlier.

darwinplesiosaur.jpg

Found elsewhere, this clipping from 1980 describes a plesiosaur like creature sighted off Darwin, Australia by a local police officer. The sighting took place over a 20 minute duration close to where a similar creature had been reported 2 years earlier.

View attachment 25684
I'm not saying there's no such thing as a weird creature resembling a plesioaurus on the loose, but I have to question the veracity of the article simply because it makes no sense to me that it's possible that Mr. Burge Brown had a career (professional or amateur) as a prospector of beach sand. I know that some sand is so coveted that it gets stolen (for real!) and then sold to luxury hotels to beautify their private beaches (alleged), but the vase majority of beaches that I know of are just smothered in sand. Do people really have to search for beach sand as a prospector does for gold? Pity the poor beach sand prospector, slogging into the coastal waters with his/her/their waders strapped on, gripping his/her/their prospecting pan in weathered hands, hoping against hope that today, yes today! he/she/they will at long last find the mother lode of beach sand!

This lockdown is really warping my brain.

I'm not saying there's no such thing as a weird creature resembling a plesioaurus on the loose, but I have to question the veracity of the article simply because it makes no sense to me that it's possible that Mr. Burge Brown had a career (professional or amateur) as a prospector of beach sand. I know that some sand is so coveted that it gets stolen (for real!) and then sold to luxury hotels to beautify their private beaches (alleged), but the vase majority of beaches that I know of are just smothered in sand. Do people really have to search for beach sand as a prospector does for gold? Pity the poor beach sand prospector, slogging into the coastal waters with his/her/their waders strapped on, gripping his/her/their prospecting pan in weathered hands, hoping against hope that today, yes today! he/she/they will at long last find the mother lode of beach sand!

This lockdown is really warping my brain.

Waikiki Beach in Honolulu was in the 70's (can't speak for now) carpeted in the very finest Australian sand. I also believe we have (would you believe?) a booming trade in selling sand to Saudi Arabia. We also sell them camels, though one would not assume at the same time.

Back