• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Morgawr! (Cornish Sea Serpent)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Cornish Sea Monster

Richard La Monica is a sasquatch researcher, based in Ohio. In an article about him it was mentioned that his Cornish grandparents had told him about a monster sometimes seen in Falmouth Bay. I emailed him about this, and this is part of his rely:

"... My mother, aged 85, was born in Cornwall, but came to the U.S., with my grandparents in I believe 1918. My mother would have been around three years old then. My grandparents came to America, after my grandfather returned from South Africa, where he was a foreman in a gold mine. My grandfather's name was John Wood Matta. My grandmother's maiden name was Elsie May Fewins. They were both born and lived in St. Austell.

My grandmother never really mentioned the mysterious parts of Cornwall, but on occasion, my grandfather, usually after seeing something of interest on the TV, would say things like, "Richard, you know Cornwall has a monster in the bay just like that".
Usually, this statement would come just after an announcement about Nessie, or some similar creature. He would mention Falmouth Bay, when given the chance, but really wouldn't elaborate too much about it. He was a God fearing man, and I believe talking about such things, to him, was in a way
blasphemous. At least, that is the way I saw it.

I am not sure if he ever really saw the creature Morgawr himself or not, and I don't really recall that he ever used that name, but the way he would describe it, would indicate to me that he might have. His description was that of a serpents head, long, black neck, and large, dark body. I don't recall his saying how big it was in actual or estimated length, but the way he described it, would have had to be fairly large, and long. I am sure my grandfather spent many a childhood day, in and around the bay, as he had a very adventurous spirit.

I was a very young lad when he would sit me upon his knee, and talk of his home. I have probably forgotten much since then, but remember his talks of Cornwall rather fondly. I may still have a couple of cousins living there, but of the Matta family, my mother is the last. I was told, most of my grandfather's ancestry, had names from building materials. Kinda funny to me, but the names were Brick, Stone, Wood. My grandparents, have long since passed away now, but their Cornish spirits still linger on. I do hope one day to make an attempt to find out about my possible cousins, and to come see the land that was once my mother's family homeland...

Best Regards, Rich La Monica"

This is an interesting story, dating from well before the modern interest in the Monster: it became news in the 70s (which is when the name Morgawr arose). There isa lot of info about Morgawr on the web, and I think Richard's family memories tend to confirm other early reports.

Richard's Bigfoot website is at
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/6591/
(Hear a bigfoot howl...!)

See Also:
Morgawr! (Cornish Sea Serpent)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/morgawr-cornish-sea-serpent.4719/#post-1655858

Oh dear!

Looks like Richard's mum has given him a slap on the wrist! He sent me a follow up email:

"I am somewhat embarrassed this time around. I got a few of my family facts incorrect. Actually, my grandparents came here
to the U.S. in 1913, not 1918. My mother, was born in Akron, in 1915, not in England. My mother, is 86, not 85. My grandfather, was a foreman, in a South African "Diamond" mine, not a "Gold" mine. My mother told me my grandparents, were actually born in Penzance, Cornwall, but lived in St. Austel. Wow, I think I flunked family 101. LOL I am sorry, for any confusion. Other than that, everything else I wrote about my family, is correct. Good to hear, huh"

This just makes this independent confirmation of the monster story that little bit older, which isall to the good.

I've said I'll forward any follow up on this to him, so come on folks, let's have some ideas. (I did post on this subject once before, but it must have been in the period of Lost Time, because that thread ain't there now!)

rynner, I'm reaching back into the depths of my memory here and I'm not sure where its coming from but ... for what little it's worth.

Manchester Central Library had a good folklore section and back in the the period '68 to '73 (gawd that sounds so long ago) I would spend many happy hours in that section. Now the book I'm thinking of was kept close to the "Golden Bough" so must have had a similar Dewey code, was published about 1950 and contained folk tales from Britanny and the West Country, I remember that especially because it drew a parallel between the Tolcarne Troll and Yan an Od. Now one of the brief notes concerning a sea monster and St Michaels Mount. I don't know if it has any relevance. Good hunting

Hey, it's back!

This is in the same area that writer Sheila Bird saw it, some years ago.

Edit: Found this link on SB's sighting.
Link is dead. See subsequent post for the MIA text.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of this one before, thanks. I wonder why this hasn't been widely publicised? Is it because not as many ppl have reported sightings of it as the Loch Ness one? Or is it because we in the South West are considered too far away from civilisation to be of interest?

Perhaps it's because Cornwall is becoming better known now, with the Eden Project.

(Gerrans Bay is not a million miles from Eden, BTW - couldn't be a subtle publicity stunt, could it?)

I have some other Morgawr links somewhere - I'll try to dig them out and see if they still work.

Edit:
This is the best one. Sightings from well before Eden was thought of. Morgawr
Another one
More on SB

And finally, a Map covering the coast from Helford to the Dodman. (You can zoom and pan, although it's a bit clunky. Hope someone looks at it - it took me ages to set it up!)

Well, if they start having Morgawr T shirts sold at the Eden project, we'll know it's a publicity stunt. I hope it isn't though, I love the thought of all these mysteries. :)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
BTW Love the pic of the creature there.

Good work Rynner

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/cfz/features/morgawr.htm

Seems to suggest that 3 possible 'Morgawr corpses' have been found. One C19th, one mid C20th, and most astonishing, one in 1976, at the height of the whole Mary F/Doc Sheils shenanigans. I've never seen a previous reference to this, and I'd be astonished if it hadn't been photgraphed if it ever existed.

In the text it's specifically stated that the mid C20th corpse was examined by marine biologists. Again, I've never heard of this, and if it happened, I'd have thought someone would have unearthed some records by now.

Perhaps I'm flaunting my ignorance, but the fact that I'd never come across this information before, and the lack of verification makes me really doubtful, and disinclined to place much trust in the text.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that there's a good chance that unknown large marine animals do come close to UK coastlines, as there appears to be quite a lot of witness evidence, its just that I think this reference is a bit dodgy.

its not been unknown for the Falmouth Diveing club to cook up a moster or two.... but Gerrans bay is to far for them to roam )probably) the sill looks like either a Shag near the camra or a seal a bit further away... i read one sighting report by a fisherman that sounded realy like a leatherback turtle too...

film looks awfully like a seabird to me....... small anyway hardly a "monster"

Peewee said:
If it acts like a sea bird then its either a sea bird or perhaps some kind of marine reptile. (hopefully a pliosaur )
Just because its not Giant also doesnt make it a monster. Look at the Komodo dragon, they are hardly 1000 feet long but I still wouldnt wanna mud wrestle one.
yep "monester" isnt a good word for anything realy, it has acociations with lack of understanding and huge size. It realy realy did look like a diveing sea bird tho.

Could you not gather enough funds and help to research this creature yourself ?

Nic Johnson

One Sunday morning in 1987, whilst living in Plymouth, South Devon, a friend came to stay for the weekend and we both went fishing off 'Devils Point', a small quay on the Plymouth side of the narrowest point of the river Tamar, which separates Devon and Cornwall.__

The water here is very deep (40m) and the current very strong.__We had been fishing for about 2 hours, without much success.__It was October, wet and cold. We had been casting out a few yards and letting our lines and bait fall to the bottom of the deep channel.

All we were bringing back up were lumps of strange looking seaweed which leeched a reddish brown fluid.__At one point my friend went back to his car to get two sets of waterproofs.__I reeled in another lump of this stuff, rebaited my hook and cast back into the fast flowing, brown water.__ ...

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/morgawr.shtml

Link is dead / obsolete.
Here is the full text of the MIA article, which appeared in Fortean Times.

MORGAWR!
Nic Johnson

One Sunday morning in 1987, whilst living in Plymouth, South Devon, a friend came to stay for the weekend and we both went fishing off 'Devils Point', a small quay on the Plymouth side of the narrowest point of the river Tamar, which separates Devon and Cornwall.

The water here is very deep (40m) and the current very strong. We had been fishing for about 2 hours, without much success. It was October, wet and cold. We had been casting out a few yards and letting our lines and bait fall to the bottom of the deep channel.

All we were bringing back up were lumps of strange looking seaweed which leeched a reddish brown fluid. At one point my friend went back to his car to get two sets of waterproofs. I reeled in another lump of this stuff, rebaited my hook and cast back into the fast flowing, brown water.

I thought I was getting a bite and reeled in expecting to find a small catch on the line. There was nothing. As I removed my tackle from the water I noticed that it was followed up from the depths by the most unusual creature I had ever seen.

A large head popped up out of the water not 10 yards from me, attached to neck which rose out of the water by about 1 metre. The head was covered with a fur-like, green-brown skin, had forward facing, dark grey eyes (which looked directly at me) and was similar in shape to that of a (very large) dog. It was not a seal, which I have had much contact with as a diver. There were no ears but the top of the head was undulated with a high central ridge. It had a wide mouth and was obvoiusly carniverous from the shape of the powerful-looking jaw. Its forward facing eyes had fairly heavy brow ridges. From the size of the exposed neck and head, I would estimate the creature to be about twice the size of a horse.

It looked at me for about 15 seconds, submerged vertically and re-emerged slightly closer. It was sizing me up and I think had come to the surface to see what was disturbing it. It remained surfaced for antother 5-10 seconds and sank back into the water, leaving circular ripples where it had been. My friend returned shortly afterwards to find me in a very excited state. I have not previously made this sighting public and many who I have discussed it with have thought me a little odd. However, I know what I saw.

I have since leaned that the bottom of Devils point is home to conger eels, which I believe the creature was hunting at the time. I was previously very sceptical about this 'local myth'. However, I am an experienced scuba diver and have a good knowledge of sea-life. This was most definitely an unidentified species, large and intelligent. I would suggest that anyone doing serious research into this may have a chance of a sighting around Conger grounds. How about using a large cage full as 'bait'?

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021101110634/http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/morgawr.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Morgawr on the starboard bow, sir!

Hi there. This is a very interesting sighting.

One thing bugs me about Morgawr and Nessie and their ilk. What kind of creatures are they? Are they mammals, reptiles, amphibians, or fish?

Mammals have to keep coming up for air every minute or two. If I had to stick my neck out, :D I would think that they would be seen a bit more often if they were mammals.
If they are reptiles, they still have to come up for air. Not as often as mammals, but still, they would be sticking their neck out quite a bit.
Amphibians? The largest amphibian in Britain is the common toad (I think). They don't grow very big.
Fish is a definite no-no. There aren't any fish with a long neck and a big body at the end. They can't get enough oxygen through their gills to feed such a big body.

Therefore, it can only really be a mammal or a reptile. Why don't we see them coming up for air a bit more often? That neck would stick out and they'd be spotted a mile off. Did you hear the creature breathing, sir?

So how do I explain the sighting? Er...I can't. That's the fun of Forteana, ha ha....

Big Bill Robinson

"There aren't any fish with such a long neck" - ah but how do you know ? On a wet friday the other week I went to Poole aquarium and there were some fairly freaky looking fish in there. I can almost guarantee you there will be some fish out there somewhere that have/look like they have a long neck.

And "They can't get enough oxygen through their gills to feed such a big body" - well, there are some massive fish out there, for example some species of shark, and they seem to get enough oxygen.

Not causing trouble, just trying to point out that one shouldn't dismiss possibilities out of hand because of one's preconceptions about how things should be.

Not that I've got any better explanation. And it would be more exciting if it wasn't a fish in a way.

I am also a local ish person to Plymouth having been to school and college there and lived around the City for most of my life.

I'm also aware of the quanitities of congers around Devil's point and there is an Urban Legend of a huge 40 foot eel that snaps shark lines and has never been caught.

I wonder whether in fact this creature is the culprit?

Maybe it's some kind of mutated eel?

TO EPONA

Hi there Epona.

First of all, I agree that there are some very strange fish in the lakes, rivers and oceans of planet Earth. And some big ones too! The whale shark is no tiddler, certainly.
However, the point I actually made is that when you think of the classic shape of Nessie, there are no fish of that shape that we know about. None at all, out of 20,000 fish species. If there were, the gills would be just behind the head, on the thin neck. Under these circumstances, the creature could not get enough oxygen to support the large body at the end of the neck. With large fish, the body is either the shape of a torpedo (roughly) or the shape of a snake. The gills are then on the biggest part of the body, or equal biggest.
Therefore, such an animal as Morgawr would have to breathe air. And maybe it does! After all, one does not usually see leatherback turtles on a day trip to Margate. :D
Anyway, thanks for your post. As always, I could be wrong.

Big Bill Robinson

Just to add more fuel to the fire :) (For the sake of debate

Big Bill Robins said:
Hi there Epona.

First of all, I agree that there are some very strange fish in the lakes, rivers and oceans of planet Earth. And some big ones too! The whale shark is no tiddler, certainly.
However, the point I actually made is that when you think of the classic shape of Nessie, there are no fish of that shape that we know about. **None at all, out of 20,000 fish species.** If there were, the gills would be just behind the head, on the thin neck. Under these circumstances, the creature could not get enough oxygen to support the large body at the end of the neck. With large fish, the body is either the shape of a torpedo (roughly) or the shape of a snake. The gills are then on the biggest part of the body, or equal biggest.
Therefore, such an animal as Morgawr would have to breathe air. And maybe it does! After all, one does not usually see leatherback turtles on a day trip to Margate. :D
Anyway, thanks for your post. As always, I could be wrong.

Big Bill Robinson

It's a well known scientific fact that we know more about the surface of the Moon than we do the great oceans of our Earth.
Also, new species of all flora and forna are discovered all the time. I recall reading a while ago of a school of florishing fish that were 'discovered' whom had previously been thought to have been extinct for hundreds of thousands of years!
If we are not aquainted with the murkey depths of our waters now who knows what has evolved from what over millenia?
And my last point, how often do Giant Squid come up for air?

Sea monster thingy

If you had to-I mean draw a picture or chose a photo of every animal on earth (you may blend together photos ) what would it look like I mean maybe a cross between an otter and a beaver/---seal and a giraffe....a bulldog and a fox...what would you say???:confused:

Just as a point of interest, there has been research into the possibility of doing the exact opposite of that. Mostly the subjects are children due to their as yet unbridled imagination, and although they do in fact achieve better results than adults, not a single success has been recorded.
The task set is to draw an original creature, ie not a hybrid of existing ones. It appears impossible, even in part, with every 'creation' turning out to be a composite, eg fish with feathers or whatever...try it yourself.
On a tangent, all the descriptions of 'sightings' I have read are composites. Now, this does not prove them false, and of course, shrinks acknowledge that memory can protect our sanity by translating the indescribable into the familiar. Therefore, reports of bug-eyed green humanoids lifeted from comics are no great surprise, but daft cliche or not, when viewed in the context of such research, aren't discreditable by this is alone.
Personally, my opinion and instinct is that such sightings are invariably 'false'; exist - yes, but here-no. But though I'm off the fence on this I keep hold of it just in case.

Conversely, given such research, if there was ever an observation of something, even in part, quite unique, it would be difficult to ignore.

Ps to the the people of Plymouth ; I enjoyed my holiday and deeply regret any disrespect shown by my unfortunate accident. Spinach curry is a bad idea when camping, I realise now and I'm sorry.

MORGAWR! and mysterious sea monster ravages three freighters

this is from:Beyond,mag. pub july 1969...capt.nicholas vechy.,of the frieghter "bieber,insists that a vicious sea monster may still be lurking somewhere beneath the icy waters of antarctica...It was an enormous serpent,""the head and shoulders of which hovered constantly about four feet above the surface of the sea.In length,the animal was about sixty feet,and,so far as we could tell,no portion of this was used for propelling it through the water,either by verticle or horizontal undulation.it moved 12-15 knots ,seem to know just where it was going.at a 100 yards from the ship the creature change course heading for the ship-it looked like the head of a hugh snake.the diameter of 15 to 16 inches,color dark brown,with yellowish-white about the throat.It had no fins,but something like the mane of a horse..or a bunch of seaweed washed about its back. the 1st attack was a head on charge against the side of the ship.the sound the creature made was a loud shrill'a cross between a womans scream and a fog horn.--the creatures hugh tail shot out of the water twisted high into the air above the ship and came crashing down on the bridge.metal railings were twisted and yanked from their sockets..(it goes on and on..) it left finally they said 'bored".With only slight variations,most of the crew described the serpent as resembling an Eel,a snake or a sea lion..but only much larger by many many times...note the freighter "trondheim" saw it later.fifty miles south of the "Orkney Islands.

Super-otter prototype

IHTM,

Your sighting fits a common prototype of unidentified sea-creature, generally referred to as "super-otter". There are many sightings of this in various parts of the world and a couple of years ago local TV featured a report of a frequently seen creature of exactly the same description in the mangrove area of Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia.

View any book on the subject and you will find similar references to such a creature elsewhere in the world, also.

Was the "sea-weed" you referred to possibly hair samples, and the creature just investigating who was plucking it? If so, it might be worth hanging on to some on future visits!

RE; CROOKED

HEY you have any web sites you can give on them thar SUPER-Otters ???I can't find any .It sure sounds alot like that thing that WENT after the ship ...anybody hear about that B4..ANY SUPER OTTERS??

super-otter

Ruffready,

The reference to the super-otter prototype I have found in at least three books on cryptozoology, including one I own called "Creatures from elsewhere". To be honest I was replying to the original poster, whose description matched the model perfectly.

If you are interested enough I recommend try your local public or university library and look for books on cryptozoology or fortean phenomena.

Trust me; trying to research anything on the web is like visiting the fast food chains for nutritional advice: You're better off with hard copy research.

Morgawr the facts

I have for the past few months with Jan Sundberg of GUST have looked into the John Holmes Case.
I have interview him and we have analysed the video and the stills

And GUST on Nov 1st will be publishing the findings. But I can tell you that Mr Holmes did video something unusual.

Mr Holmes has a background as an Illustrator and has worked in the Natural History Museum. He knows all the wildlife around the area. The Video has baffled the scientific community.

Morgawr is real and is not a sea bird, basking shark or seal.

Just remember to wait for the findings on Nov 1st before making comment.

About time this dusty old thread got another airing, even if it is just a post about a smelly old carcass:
PHOTOS: Is This Cornwall's Mythical Sea Creature?
560070-800x600.scale_type-center_crop.jpg

6:13am 23rd February 2017

A man from St Austell has sparked Cornwall's imagination... after discovering the carcass of a mysterious creature on Charlestown beach.

Chris Crane, who runs the local Number One B&B, asked friends on social media what the washed-up animal could be when he spotted it on Monday.

He said: "We decided to go for a little walk and Charlestown is one of our favourites and it's very close by.
"We just happened to walk along part of the beach and there was a big washed up tree trunk from the storm a couple of days before - so we went to have a look at that.
"But quite close to that was this... thing.
"At first I thought it might be a dolphin or a seal, but as I got closer I could see it was something a bit bigger and an odd shape."

Suggestions have been varied - with some believing it could be what legends are made of.
He said: "It had obviously been there for a couple of days - it was getting quite smelly.
"Someone has suggested it could be a pilot whale - but to me, the head shape looked wrong.
"But I think there have been some thoughts around it being a Cornish sea monster - I'll take that with a pinch of salt!"

The creature they're referring to is the Morgawr - a sea serpent which, in Cornish Folklore, appeared for the first time near Pendennis Point in 1975.
It is described as having a trunk with a very long neck and black or brown skin - something like a sea lion - and it's thought local mackerel fisherman would blame poor weather and fishing on sightings of the monster.

But others believe the monster first appeared after a German submarine torpedoed a British merchant ship during the First World War.
At the time, it was described as a 60ft crocodile-shaped creature, with four webbed feet and a powerful tail.

Following the discovery, Chris has now contacted the National Sea Watch Foundation, who have yet to reply about what it could be.
He said: "I'd like to know what it is - I haven't been down since to see if it's still there, but I'm surprised no one else has raised any questions about what it is.
"I'd love to know what it is."

http://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2230502/photos-is-this-cornwalls-mythical-sea-creature/

Morgawr is mentioned in passing in many other FTMB threads (and often linked to 'Doc' Shiels), especially this one:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/sea-serpents-monsters.52363/

Mysterious Charlestown sea creature identified as over 100 dolphins confirmed dead in Cornwall 2017
By Shannon_Hards | Posted: February 23, 2017
Video

The mysterious sea creature that was pictured washed-up on a beach in Charlestown has been identified as a dolphin, as figures reveal that more than 100 have washed up on Cornish beaches since the start of the year, in what has been dubbed a "dolphin massacre".

Chris Crane was walking on the beach in Charlestown on Monday when he came across a washed-up animal.

He said he thought the creature had been on the bay for a few days beforehand as it was beginning to smell.
Chris appealed for information in an attempt to identify the animal.

Mysterious%20creature%20on%20Charlestown%20beach.png

A spokeswoman for the Cornwall Wildlife Trust has since identified the animal as a dolphin, however cannot confirm which kind of dolphin.

This comes as wildlife groups have warned that the killing of dolphins in British waters has become a 'massacre' - with more than 100 found dead in just six weeks.
According to Cornwall Wildlife Trust a total of 106 dolphins and porpoises have washed up on Cornwall's beaches and in the nets of fishing boats over the past eight weeks.
The toll for the whole of 2016 was 205 while in the two previous years the numbers had been under 100.

Large trawlers are being blamed for the alarming increase - with French boats said to be the worst offenders as they work in pairs.
It is understood they are competing with dolphins for fish such as mackerel, herring, bass and sprats and experts say they are wiping out entire family groups.
Lindy Hingley, founder of Brixham Sea Watch, said: "It's murder. It's a massacre.
"It takes 20 minutes for them to die and it's an appalling death."

Since Christmas small trawlers operating in an area from Mevagissey in Cornwall to Plymouth have hauled dozens of dead and rotting dolphins.
Martin 'Beaver' Thomas, a trawlerman based in Polperro, Cornwall, said it had become so common they don't even talk about it any more.
He said: "We have been trawling up dead and stinking dolphins.
"The smell is horrific. All the boats around here have been bringing up dead dolphins."

He added: "We have all towed up the odd dead dolphin in the past and talked about it in the pub.
"But now it's not a rare occurrence."

The animals get caught up in the nets used by trawlerman and are suffocated when held under the water.
The Marine Management Organisation said they are legally protected.
A spokesman said: "We're aware of local fishermen's concerns and have been working with other organisations to look into these."

Rob Deaville, UK project manager of the Defra-funded Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme, said they were told of 76 dead dolphins in January alone.
Of those, 13 were taken away for post-mortem examinations - and five showed clear signs they had been caught in nets.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/mysteri...ornwall-2017/story-30154851-detail/story.html

About time this dusty old thread got another airing, even if it is just a post about a smelly old carcass:
PHOTOS: Is This Cornwall's Mythical Sea Creature?
560070-800x600.scale_type-center_crop.jpg

6:13am 23rd February 2017

A man from St Austell has sparked Cornwall's imagination... after discovering the carcass of a mysterious creature on Charlestown beach.

Chris Crane, who runs the local Number One B&B, asked friends on social media what the washed-up animal could be when he spotted it on Monday.

He said: "We decided to go for a little walk and Charlestown is one of our favourites and it's very close by.
"We just happened to walk along part of the beach and there was a big washed up tree trunk from the storm a couple of days before - so we went to have a look at that.
"But quite close to that was this... thing.
"At first I thought it might be a dolphin or a seal, but as I got closer I could see it was something a bit bigger and an odd shape."

Suggestions have been varied - with some believing it could be what legends are made of.
He said: "It had obviously been there for a couple of days - it was getting quite smelly.
"Someone has suggested it could be a pilot whale - but to me, the head shape looked wrong.
"But I think there have been some thoughts around it being a Cornish sea monster - I'll take that with a pinch of salt!"

The creature they're referring to is the Morgawr - a sea serpent which, in Cornish Folklore, appeared for the first time near Pendennis Point in 1975.
It is described as having a trunk with a very long neck and black or brown skin - something like a sea lion - and it's thought local mackerel fisherman would blame poor weather and fishing on sightings of the monster.

But others believe the monster first appeared after a German submarine torpedoed a British merchant ship during the First World War.
At the time, it was described as a 60ft crocodile-shaped creature, with four webbed feet and a powerful tail.

Following the discovery, Chris has now contacted the National Sea Watch Foundation, who have yet to reply about what it could be.
He said: "I'd like to know what it is - I haven't been down since to see if it's still there, but I'm surprised no one else has raised any questions about what it is.
"I'd love to know what it is."

http://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2230502/photos-is-this-cornwalls-mythical-sea-creature/

Morgawr is mentioned in passing in many other FTMB threads (and often linked to 'Doc' Shiels), especially this one:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/sea-serpents-monsters.52363/
That looks like a pilot whale carcass.

Back