Searching For The Japanese Wolf

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Interesting article on the 'Ghost Wolves' of Japan here:

Could an apex predator, thought to be extinct for 100 years, still be roaming the Japanese mountains? Some enthusiasts think they have the evidence.

By William Park and Johanna Airth18th October 2019

Hiroshi Yagi was driving through the Chichibu Tama Kai National Park when the animal came up from the stream on his left, passed in front of him and stopped about two metres (6.5ft) away from his car. It showed no fear as he edged towards it, firing off several photographs. The creature was apparently unfazed by the presence of a human. Either it was comfortable being around humans, or felt unthreatened because of its status as the apex predator in this habitat.

“This was 23 years ago, and I didn’t have much technical knowledge then,” says Yagi. “But I thought, ‘This must be a wolf’.”

Yagi, a keen mountaineer, spends a lot of time in the mountains around Chichibu in central Japan, but this was the first time he had come face to face with an animal he had spent the best part of his life searching for.

“I decided I would try and give him an osenbei (a rice cracker) and put out my hand and offered it to him,” says Yagi. “I am right-handed, so I offered the cracker to him in my left, thinking that even if he bit my left arm, I would be alright."

“He was right in front of me at this point. I had brought the rice cracker right under his mouth. But he didn’t take it. He just stood there. I tried to see if he smelled like a wild animal, but he didn’t. He had no smell. And just like a new-born baby, he had no knowledge or fear of danger.”

Continued at length:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191011-the-hunt-for-japans-ghost-wolves

Last edited:

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
I'd really like to do a trip to Japan to investigate this. Parallels with the Tasmanian wolf speak for themselves.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Japan these days is suffering from a plague of deer.

Something is not eating them, though I suspect boars and boar account for fawns.

But the wolf was a dinky beast with a rat tail; were they ever deer hunters?

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Princess Mini-noke? That's a small wolf. I don't think even a midget could ride that thru a primeval forest.