• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Secret World Of Children's Chants

Cock o'the North, the regimental march of the Gordon Highlanders.

“…the storming of the Heights of Dargai by the Gordon Highlanders and a battalion of Gurkhas. As was usual at one time, the fierce tribesmen of the North-West Frontier were causing trouble and a punitive force was sent against them. On arriving at Dargai this force found their advance checked by the tribesmen being strongly entrenched on the Heights of Dargai. It was essential for the success of the Force that the tribesmen be dislodged and driven from their position, and this task was allotted to the Gordons and Gurkhas. As they charged up the hill Piper Findlater of the Gordons was shot in the ankle. Unable to go forward, the gallant piper propped himself against a rock and cheered on his comrades to the strains of the Cock o’ the North.

Victoria_Cross_Winners-_Pre_1914_Q82656.jpg

When the news of this exploit reached home the tune became very popular and every piper included it in his repertoire.”

Gordons-1944-Findlater-and-Nicol.jpg

Pipe Major Bob Nicol with the 2nd Batt. Gordon Highlanders at Le Thuit in France in 1944. The Corporal is Findlater, son of Findlater VC.

https://bagpipe.news/2020/05/14/stories-of-the-tunes-cock-of-the-north/

maximus otter

Last edited:
Thank you I loved reading that.

A friend of mine once told me that if someone from Preston went to Harlech they would like you. He said that people from Preston had something to do with Men Of Harlech but I've never checked it out.

Back