• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

See A Penny, Pick It Up (Superstition / Luck Related To Money Found)

C6-zOGSXAAgjGfQ.jpg

Still hunting Mammoths in Norfolk.
Typical Norfolk family there. Seven brothers, three dads and four cousins.

What happened to the phone in the end?

I swapped it for another one with someone at work. He knew about unblocking phones and things like that when most people didn't.
I think the one I ended up with must have been of lesser value because it had an antenna.

I pick up pennies and say the little rhyme. I found a £20 note once, day like today, windy and rainy, but early on a Sunday morning so not a soul about.
It got blown down the street after I saw it, can't you run fast when you have to?
I also pick up pens, a legacy from my stores days filling orders, you put your pen down to pick something and wander off without it, so any pen you saw lying about you grabbed.
Elastic bands, thanks post office, useful for keeping fishing lines on spools.
I've also found a couple of weed crushers, from the lads who have a smoke in the alley close by.
I picked one up, thinking it would come in useful for summat, but then knew fear and threw it away.

I pick up pennies and say the little rhyme. I found a £20 note once, day like today, windy and rainy, but early on a Sunday morning so not a soul about.
It got blown down the street after I saw it, can't you run fast when you have to?
I also pick up pens, a legacy from my stores days filling orders, you put your pen down to pick something and wander off without it, so any pen you saw lying about you grabbed.
Elastic bands, thanks post office, useful for keeping fishing lines on spools.
I've also found a couple of weed crushers, from the lads who have a smoke in the alley close by.
I picked one up, thinking it would come in useful for summat, but then knew fear and threw it away.
I've never found a £20 but I've found a £10 and two £5 notes (all on different occasions) ... I once found a load of tenners floating around in my Dads driveway but he'd come home pissed up the night before so I had to scoop them up to give to him ... I still prefer finding pennies though, I just like the little round artworks. I also collect the postman bands, especially the red ones which I have to give to my parents when I visit them .. a good tip is to wrap a load around your front door handle in the coldest months for insulation even though it does make you look a bit mental.

Get a better grip too, if you've any problems in that respect.
Exactly .. and a warmer grip as well as less chance of freezing damaging the mechanism .. (same thing works with the door handle arf arf)

Funny about that penny picking luck thingy. On my way to the optician on monday afternoon, I found a penny on the pavement and picked it up. Then, the optician told me my eyesight hasn't changed from two years ago. Not even the nearsight. I read without glasses but I'm shortsighted and 49 years old. Then, I found a nice present for my brother in law for his birthday and at a competitive price in one of the shops nearby. At the relatively small WHSmith, I found the three watercolours tubes of colours I wanted, not expecting to find them as the choice for art stuff is not as good as in larger WHS shops. Then, I found two books I wanted at 50p each at a charity shop. So far, so good... Except that my bag had a hole in it and on the way, I lost two of the watercolour's tubes. But I realised that while still in town, retraced my steps and found them just at the entrance of the shop, on the floor and not damaged.

I once found a £20 note in the middle of a wood in Galloway. We descended to the nearest village and went into the hall where they looked surprised to see us. There I bought a locally knitted hat with a felted Beltie on it with the money. I feel there must be excellent karma in there somewhere and feel really good whenever I wear the hat. And not just because it is cute and very warm. :cool:

A 5p this morning but I'm a patient fisherman when it comes to catching tiddlers .. it's in my penny skull jar.

30p left in a slot machine at work. Thanks, unknown benefactor!

Future of 1p and 2p coins questioned by Treasury

"The document points to surveys that suggest six in 10 of UK 1p and 2p coins are only used once before being saved in a jar or discarded.

In one in 12 of these cases, the coins are thrown in the bin."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43388662

Future of 1p and 2p coins questioned by Treasury

"The document points to surveys that suggest six in 10 of UK 1p and 2p coins are only used once before being saved in a jar or discarded.

In one in 12 of these cases, the coins are thrown in the bin."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43388662
Hmmm. That sounds like a move to increase inflation!

That was my thought exactly. No business is going to round a price down.
They do at the moment though .. £1.99, £4.99, £9.99 etc etc .. I suppose if and when the pennies go, we'll be buying stuff for ten pounds exactly or £9.95 with any luck.

They do at the moment though .. £1.99, £4.99, £9.99 etc etc .. I suppose if and when the pennies go, we'll be buying stuff for ten pounds exactly or £9.95 with any luck.

The 5p piece'll go next. Give it a few years.

How American cents and dollars have survived puzzles me. What can you buy for a cent or a dollar?

Back