• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seeing Lights?

A

Anonymous

the other night i was at my friends house for a the day. we had settled down for bed in his downstairs bedroom. its a kingsize bed that we normaly sleep in whenever i come over. anyway he likes to sleep in pitch blackness with a fan going. so we were just laying in bed in the pitch black talking about the girls we like and stuff and then we both were starting to get tired. all the sudden i could have sworn i saw a white flash accross the room, i was about to mention it to my friend but i figured i was just seeing things. all the sudden he said hey man did you see that flash. it startled me cause i thought i had been imagaining it. he turned on the light in the room and we sorta investigated but we didn't think anything of it and went to bed. in the morning we had a little chat about it, he thought it was probably just the electric blanket we were using, but the electric blanket wasn't plugged in or anything so it has no power, also the light i saw was higher then where the electric blanket was. also this light that we both saw didn't illuminate the room it just was like a streak of light, it wa weird. well any theories i'd be happy to hear them, o and any questions just ask and i'll post as much as possible. thanks

Distant car headlightsthrough a small gap in the curtains?
(Depends how much traffic normally in the area.)

Someone with a torch (flashlight) outside? Burglar, cop?!

What other electrical equipment was in the room? TV, computer?

When I lived in Sydenham, there was always two flashes of light followed by a pause of about 5 mins then two flashes of light again. I thought it was lights on the crystal palace transmitter but that was on the wrong side of the house. Always annoyed me as I could never find the source of the light and it was pretty strong. Couldn't have been cars as the windows overlooked the garden and the regularity and the light was diffuse, not a beam. Reckon there must have been another transmitter ariel nearby or something.

Also, in my youth, with a group of friends we spent all evening chasing a green strobing light that was lighting up the sky. You could see the point it seemed to be eminating from, go there and see the light had moved into the distance. Fruitless chasing followed, like finding the end of a rainbow, before finally giving up and going home. Don't think it had anything to do with the mushroom tea?:blah:

When I lived in Sydenham, there was always two flashes of light followed by a pause of about 5 mins then two flashes of light again.

It wasn't Canary Wharf was it? Or is that a bit too far away? Certainly couldn't escape the hypnotic pulsating lights when I lived on the Isle of Dogs. Even through the curtains.

On a vaguely related note, when I was younger I had a late afternoon appointment at the dentist. I leant back in the chair and all I could see was a huge cross, shining in the sky. It really freaked me out - I'd never seen anything like this before. Then I realised there was a church opposite - they'd just installed a brand spanking new neon cross and must've switched it on just as I leant back. Did wander over after my treatment, just to make sure.
:p

Was there anything in the room that was connected to a power source that a small power surge or something could have caused to flash - some switches make flashes in the dark?

I dunno?

I once got freaked out at my mates apartment in London. I had been working late and finally shut down the lap top and crawled into her spare sofa bed, in the living room. I woke up a couple of hours later to see this really eerie green light on the ceiling, really quite bright and an odd shade of green. It didn't move or anything and I ended up getting up and walking about trying to figure out what it was. In the end I got quite excited about the strange green glow and went to wake up my mate. She stumbled into the living room half asleep, marched over to the plug socket where my laptop was plugged in and switched the power off. Miraculously the light disappeared. Without saying a word we both went back to bed and never mentioned it again....

hmm, ok i'll answer a few questions.
well for starters the room i was in was a spare beadroom downstairs, it had no windows looking outside, and it was far enough away from everything that no light could have shined in. secondly the only electric things were the fan and the lamp, and these were both in the far right of the room.
and the flash of light that we saw streeked across the room.

hmm, ok i'll answer a few questions.
well for starters the room i was in was a spare beadroom downstairs, it had no windows looking outside, and it was far enough away from everything that no light could have shined in. secondly the only electric things were the fan and the lamp, and these were both in the far right of the room.
and the flash of light that we saw streeked across the room.
Funnily enough, I had a very similar experience only last night! Between 2 and 3 in the morning, sleeping, I was briefly woken up by a flash (probably from cut-off street lights) then a cut in electricity, followed by a high pitched noise (which I think was emanating from my clock radio), then another very bright flash, then darkness again, then yet another very bright flash and subsequently street lights came back on so I drifted back to sleep.
In the morning, only my cooker clock had registered that the power was cut, so, online - I checked out locations in my area for reported power cuts... nothing had been recorded.
So possibly your bright flashes could also be caused by a split second power cut just like my own unexpected experience.

Back