• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seeking & Accepting Guidance From 'Beyond'

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
This seems an opportunity to, 'get something off my chest'.

It's an occurrence which over the years has come to mind less often, however, when it does, still bothers myself.

The background is that quite some years ago, when about 20, I was going through a religious/spiritual, philosophical turmoil.

Essentially, our elemental question, 'what's the meaning of life' had become frustratingly annoying.

It became so, to the extent I decided on drastic action...

I'm going to 'call out' God.

I am going to challenge that entity, whatever it may be.

So I did and in a quieter moment explained to 'God' my straightforward rationale.

I had tried my best to make some sense of it all, read everything conceivably related, especially in the local public library, listened to anyone who offered an insight and to no avail.

I put it to God that surely it wasn't unreasonable to ask for help, some guidance, anything which might be of assistance.

It wasn't long afterwards, when one day and with this request upmost in my thoughts, I visited the local library. Had anything changed... perhaps a new book of wisdom had arrived.

No...

...and then something entirely unexpected did appear.

I suddenly had the strongest impulse to visit a particular book section and the thought came into ny head, 'the answer you seek is here', or, 'this is what you're looking for'... something unequivocally along these lines.

I seemed to be directed to one particular book shelf. I did not look at any other books on the way there.

It made no obvious sense, this section of the library held little, if any, material of personal interest.

I stopped before the shelves I felt compelled to visit. It was a separate, corner shelf unit containing mainly reference books relating to art, photography and various atlases.

One book did, however, instantly catch my attention.

It only required a momentary appraisal to realise this truly what I had been searching for.

When back home and having time to reflect on its contents, it was an epiphany.

I knew instantly that although the source of the book's contents would be questionable to many, that didn't matter at all.

It was a method of provision to myself.

For here, no longer did we have a jealous God, a God of wrath and rage.

Here was a benign, loving and forgiving God.

Now this was indeed, much more like it.

It wasn't important whether every, or even one single, sentiment came directly from God.

The essence was, would he have endorsed the very same.

(Whether my philosophy has altered since isn't relevant).

Looking back now... was it all merely a coincidence...

My present perceptions have to be affected because of more recent events.

The story of the enigmatic and immensely symbolic unicorn ring, which apparently appeared from nowhere in my granddaughter's bedroom is related here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/contact-from-beyond-the-grave.63685/post-1965377

If both my seeming guidance to that book and the ring's origins are no more than coincidental sequences of events, they are extraordinarily complex.

The alternative is, of course, they are taken at face value and even my own inheritant scepticism remains unable to find flaws in either, because there simply aren't any.

The book I discovered is available to read online and will, I suspect, be known to many here.

'God Calling'

https://www.twolisteners.org/

Despite frequent vists to my local library (no internet in those days!) the reason I had never come across the book previously is intriguing.

That separate, corner shelf unit only held one type of book publication, hence atlases and art, photography reference works, etc.

It was for oversized books, too large to fit on the shelves where they normally would be catalogued.

Why was, 'God Calling' there?

It was a sizable large print edition, designed for those with reduced sight abilities.

I would never, normally, have been anywhere near this section.

Which bothers me...

It's an occurrence which over the years has come to mind less often, however, when it does, still bothers myself.

The background is that quite some years ago, when about 20, I was going through a religious/spiritual, philosophical turmoil.

Essentially, our elemental question, 'what's the meaning of life' had become frustratingly annoying.

So I did and in a quieter moment explained to 'God' my straightforward rationale.

I had tried my best to make some sense of it all, read everything conceivably related, especially in the local public library, listened to anyone who offered an insight and to no avail.

I put it to God that surely it wasn't unreasonable to ask for help, some guidance, anything which might be of assistance.

It wasn't long afterwards, when one day and with this request upmost in my thoughts, I visited the local library. Had anything changed... perhaps a new book of wisdom had arrived.

No...

I suddenly had the strongest impulse to visit a particular book section and the thought came into ny head, 'the answer you seek is here', or, 'this is what you're looking for'... something unequivocally along these lines.

I seemed to be directed to one particular book shelf. I did not look at any other books on the way there.

It made no obvious sense, this section of the library held little, if any, material of personal interest.

I stopped before the shelves I felt compelled to visit. It was a separate, corner shelf unit containing mainly reference books relating to art, photography and various atlases.

It only required a momentary appraisal to realise this truly what I had been searching for.

I knew instantly that although the source of the book's contents would be questionable to many, that didn't matter at all.

It wasn't important whether every, or even one single, sentiment came directly from God.

The story of the enigmatic and immensely symbolic unicorn ring, which apparently appeared from nowhere in my granddaughter's bedroom is related here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/contact-from-beyond-the-grave.63685/post-1965377

If both my seeming guidance to that book and the ring's origins are no more than coincidental sequences of events, they are extraordinarily complex.

The alternative is, of course, they are taken at face value and even my own inheritant scepticism remains unable to find flaws in either, because there simply aren't any.

The book I discovered is available to read online and will, I suspect, be known to many here.

'God Calling'

Despite frequent vists to my local library (no internet in those days!) the reason I had never come across the book previously is intriguing.

That separate, corner shelf unit only held one type of book publication, hence atlases and art, photography reference works, etc.

It was for oversized books, too large to fit on the shelves where they normally would be catalogued.

It was a sizable large print edition, designed for those with reduced sight abilities.

Which bothers me...
Interesting. I had a similar experience, but not involving books. During a particularly horrendous period of my life I noticed an office which was closed in a part of town which I would normally not be in. I felt compelled to revisit it several times ( something I would not normally do) to find it always closed even though the business (which I had previously absolutely no previous interest in) was clearly still trading. No opening times were displayed. It was about I think the sixth attempt when I found it open. The consequences of me entering that office led to some of the happiest times of my life. Even all these years later I cannot for the life of me explain what drove me to that building and why I persisted in returning to it time after time.

Even all these years later I cannot for the life of me explain what drove me to that building and why I persisted in returning to it time after time.
Thankfully, a kindred soul! :twothumbs:

There have been times when I considered, 'are you sure about this... did you really have an experience of being compelled, or maybe simply ended up browsing that particular bookcase and everything else is a false memory'...

No and I'm having none of it (self doubts!), because one thing I didn't mention is how, at the exact time, I had the presence of mind to actually take stock of the situation... to note something weird was happening and I had somehow been directed to one specific bookshelf I could see on the library's far side. This, before I went straight there to take a look.

So, what did make you almost obsessed then...? Why something which, so likewise had no conceivable attraction, yet as if contained an element which existed therein for you and would be intrinsic to your life at that particularly troubling time...

If I might enquire, were you looking for help... asking for some guidance (in your thoughts, prayers, etc.), or was it entirely unrelated to anything along those lines?

Thanks for taking the time, it's reasurring to learn I'm 'not alone' here! :p

So, what did make you almost obsessed then...? Why something which, so likewise had no conceivable attraction, yet as if contained an element which existed therein for you and would be intrinsic to your life at that particularly troubling time...

If I might enquire, were you looking for help... asking for some guidance (in your thoughts, prayers, etc.), or was it entirely unrelated to anything along those lines?

No, completely inexplicable to me. It wasn't a help thing and it wasn't a religious building (prefer not to go into detail). The strangest aspect was that I persisted in returning time after time. I would normally simply have given up after a couple of visits with an " ah well not to be" attitude. I can only imagine that, being in dire straights mentally at the time, I was not acting as I normally would. I was being driven somehow but why and how, I've absolutely no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a concern here.

It could apply to anyone and their religion.

You die and suddenly are outside the entrance to your Heaven, awaiting a decision.

Your God reviews the situation and states...

'Of course! I remember you'.

'You're the one who heartfeltly pleaded for guidance'.

'You're the one I took pity on and pointed in the right direction'.

'You're the one who duly considered my enlightenment and all the wisdom I had imparted within, 'God Calling'.

'You're the one who then, later, completely abandoned Me... just threw it all back in my...'...

...and you want in Here'?

'Well that's an easy one... Go take a hike...'.

There is of course also the logic of having faith in your religion, what I call, 'The Sceptics Curse'.

You either believe in a religious based God or you don't.

When you die, there are only four possibilities.

If a faithful and unblemished believer:

- your God exists and Heaven awaits

- your God does not exist, however you will never know that.

If not a believer in any God:

- indeed a religious based God does not exist, however you will never know that - can't have the satisfaction of, 'I told you so'.

- a religious based God does exist and you are in deep shi...

If a believer you can't lose.

If a sceptic you can't win.

Hmmm... maybe I should really pay more attention to what I write sometimes.

There is a concern here.

It could apply to anyone and their religion.

You die and suddenly are outside the entrance to your Heaven, awaiting a decision.

Your God reviews the situation and states...

'Of course! I remember you'.

'You're the one who heartfeltly pleaded for guidance'.

'You're the one I took pity on and pointed in the right direction'.

'You're the one who duly considered my enlightenment and all the wisdom I had imparted within, 'God Calling'.

'You're the one who then, later, completely abandoned Me... just threw it all back in my...'...

...and you want in Here'?

'Well that's an easy one... Go take a hike...'.

There is of course also the logic of having faith in your religion, what I call, 'The Sceptics Curse'.

You either believe in a religious based God or you don't.

When you die, there are only four possibilities.

If a faithful and unblemished believer:

- your God exists and Heaven awaits

- your God does not exist, however you will never know that.

If not a believer in any God:

- indeed a religious based God does not exist, however you will never know that - can't have the satisfaction of, 'I told you so'.

- a religious based God does exist and you are in deep shi...

If a believer you can't lose.

If a sceptic you can't win.

Hmmm... maybe I should really pay more attention to what I write sometimes.
If you buy into the God/Heaven scenario, don't you also have to accept the Devil/Hell one too? How do you know what your God wants of you? Are belief and prayer enough, or is there a requirement for good works too? What is sin? How bad does a person's sinning need to be for them to go to Hell? Who decides?

All too much for me.

If you buy into the God/Heaven scenario, don't you also have to accept the Devil/Hell one too? How do you know what your God wants of you? Are belief and prayer enough, or is there a requirement for good works too? What is sin? How bad does a person's sinning need to be for them to go to Hell? Who decides?

All too much for me.
And if God created us with intellect, then surely in the face of religious dogma that does not bear up under intelligent scrutiny, skepticism or at least agnosticism is honestly the only position we can be expected to end up in. It feels like a setup to me.

And if God created us with intellect, then surely in the face of religious dogma that does not bear up under intelligent scrutiny, skepticism or at least agnosticism is honestly the only position we can be expected to end up in. It feels like a setup to me.
Yup, 's'all about power innit.

If you buy into the God/Heaven scenario, don't you also have to accept...
Your feedback is appreciated, carefully considered and resultant of same...

Elemental amongst other things, is that you can either have science or religion. You can not, in my particular opinion, have both.

For sure, I have read many appraisals from scientists advocating a symbiotic relationship.

There is nothing of the kind, it's a transparent 'fudge' in the prerequisite desperation to cling on to a belief that death isn't the end of your conscious existence.

People will inherently believe in what they want to be true, if it's to their benefit.

I call it, 'The Con Artist's Charter'.

A prospect of eternal life is always going to be the biggest seller.

No, it's either the foundation of your religion has a solid basis, whatever its creation story, or it has zero foundation at all.

Thus... why in my own situation, I could only, subsequently, dismiss the occurrence as coincidental.

The fact I seemed to know immediately beforehand, that I was being compelled - go directly to a certain bookshelf, of inconsequential library material, is truly puzzling.

The addition of being perfectly clear in my mind this was occuring prior to investigating, that I actually did make note to myself how I must recall this aspect, because it might be important, is emphatically further bewildering.

Anyway, now that all is said and done...

Did I mention this still bothers me.

I might take the liberty of printing that and putting it on my wall.

EXACTLY a take on the overall aspect which is infuriating.

We are given the mental capacity - and always have been - to realise death is inevitable. This to an extent we can prepare for same, choose beforehand our own funeral rights, etc.

That's it though.

Without a backup religion...

That's it though.

What a bastard, eh...

I might take the liberty of printing that and putting it on my wall.

EXACTLY a take on the overall aspect which is infuriating.

We are given the mental capacity - and always have been - to realise death is inevitable. This to an extent we can prepare for same, choose beforehand our own funeral rights, etc.

That's it though.

Without a backup religion...

That's it though.

What a bastard, eh...
Contemplating Life, The Universe and Everything following the death of my good mate, the only answer I've come up with is ...….. 42. And as we all know amongst many many special features 42 is the third pentadecogonal number, a meandric and an open meandric number and the third primary pseudoperfect number. Yep I'm losing the plot......

No...

'God Calling'

Which bothers me...

We look for patterns and meaning, we ignore or forget anything that doesn't fit the narrative, no more, no less...

We look for patterns and meaning, we ignore or forget anything that doesn't fit the narrative, no more, no less...
Your sentiments surely apply to many of ourselves and will resonate with a fair few here.

In my personal circumstances outlined, you're essentially spot on though. There's the dilemma - something 'out of the ordinary' occurs and you have to place it within your frame of reference.

If, as in my case, this doesn't really fit with ease and imperatively, you are not prepared to settle the issue by forcing it, then what?

Given that pretty much what was 'ordered' seemed exactly that when 'delivered', the difficulty became...?

Much thinking was required here before responding and if we continue with our analogy, the plain answer is how some time afterwards, I wasn't convinced by the surrounding structure. The architecture of my *potential* beliefs, clearly had major flaws.

Elementary therein was the ensuing determination you can not have both science and religion.

There was always, no matter if the only other explanation had to be a chain of extraordinary coincidences, an inherent scepticism and assuredly only one outcome.

However, in hindsight and given this was when around 20 years old, no wonder all of which transpired had a profound impact.

Thank you for taking the time and I only ever raised this occurrence with the possibility of maybe some thought-provoking feedback and for anyone with similar experiences acutely in mind.

When I surmised, "Did I mention this still bothers me"... that's fair enough.

It remains, however, far remote from straightforward how to explain the seeming manifestation of my granddaughter's unicorn ring, as previously referenced.

Strangely... as I am writing this, a thought comes to mind. In both instances a 'plea for help' was made. In my case, 'any chance you could maybe please give me a break here, I'm trying my best to make some sense of it all'. In the other, my son asking if little one's recently deceased mum could send her a sign, just to let his daughter know mum was still there for her, always.

You could certainly argue that each resulted in something tangible appearing in answer and categorically so, the latter.

Which, come to think of it, means I really do have to incorporate the ring episode amongst list of incredible coincidences.

That becomes slightly more complicated because we have all long since accepted there is no explanation.

Have I ever mentioned that still troubles me...

Contemplating Life, The Universe and Everything following the death of my good mate, the only answer I've come up with is ...….. 42.

Thoughts with you on this, particularly having also lost a close friend not long ago.

If 42 isn't the answer, then I thought this might be worth a mention and maybe bring a smile all round.

Whilst I have no inclination to talk about religion any more than I would politics, or a myriad of other subjects where fundamental beliefs are prevelant, this seems reasonably permissible and maybe has a touch of humour.

It's the summation of a Franciscan's wide ranging Q&A seminar, including the subject of how old the earth is and what about dinosaurs...

Acknowledging why it might be problematic and perhaps varying explanations, he does seem to be getting a tad rattled by continuing doubts expressed until finally, he makes a suggestion:

"In heaven, you can ask God about the decision to create dinosaurs before human beings".

Necessarily returning to the underlying question here, it would be unforgivable not to feature the following Independent newspaper article.

42: THE ANSWER TO LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING

Douglas Adams said it was the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. He meant it as a joke, but a new book shows how the number 42 has played a significant role in history

By Paul Bignell
6 February, 2011

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...life-the-universe-and-everything-2205734.html

Your sentiments surely apply to many of ourselves and will resonate with a fair few here.

In my personal circumstances outlined, you're essentially spot on though. There's the dilemma - something 'out of the ordinary' occurs and you have to place it within your frame of reference.

If, as in my case, this doesn't really fit with ease and imperatively, you are not prepared to settle the issue by forcing it, then what?

Given that pretty much what was 'ordered' seemed exactly that when 'delivered', the difficulty became...?

Much thinking was required here before responding and if we continue with our analogy, the plain answer is how some time afterwards, I wasn't convinced by the surrounding structure. The architecture of my *potential* beliefs, clearly had major flaws.

Elementary therein was the ensuing determination you can not have both science and religion.

There was always, no matter if the only other explanation had to be a chain of extraordinary coincidences, an inherent scepticism and assuredly only one outcome.

However, in hindsight and given this was when around 20 years old, no wonder all of which transpired had a profound impact.

Thank you for taking the time and I only ever raised this occurrence with the possibility of maybe some thought-provoking feedback and for anyone with similar experiences acutely in mind.

When I surmised, "Did I mention this still bothers me"... that's fair enough.

It remains, however, far remote from straightforward how to explain the seeming manifestation of my granddaughter's unicorn ring, as previously referenced.

Strangely... as I am writing this, a thought comes to mind. In both instances a 'plea for help' was made. In my case, 'any chance you could maybe please give me a break here, I'm trying my best to make some sense of it all'. In the other, my son asking if little one's recently deceased mum could send her a sign, just to let his daughter know mum was still there for her, always.

You could certainly argue that each resulted in something tangible appearing in answer and categorically so, the latter.

Which, come to think of it, means I really do have to incorporate the ring episode amongst list of incredible coincidences.

That becomes slightly more complicated because we have all long since accepted there is no explanation.

Have I ever mentioned that still troubles me...

If we look for magic we'll eventually find it.

I was doodling at work today, I usually draw a shape, divide it up in 15 minute segments, and colour them in to pass the long hours at work.
I always find it reassuring when I get to colour in 2 or 3 segments because the time has passed quickly.

Today I crossed out 2 segments at once, and noticed there was the semblance of the word - 'god'.

I laughed.

Coincidences are just our subconscious trying to make sense of all the data that streams past us, we ignore anything that doesn't fit and bathe in the glow of the magic we so desperately want to see.

I disagree actually. I'm surely guilty of overanalysing to death a lot of stuff that has happened to me. I'm not fanciful either, even though I might come across as such and am a great supporter of the Arkham's approach to life happenings. Despite such an approach, myself and other intelligent people I know have been wholly unable to explain some occurrences in my life.

I disagree actually. I'm surely guilty of overanalysing to death a lot of stuff that has happened to me. I'm not fanciful either, even though I might come across as such and am a great supporter of the Arkham's approach to life happenings. Despite such an approach, myself and other intelligent people I know have been wholly unable to explain some occurrences in my life.

Yup, we don't know everything. Life is easier when we admit that.

Yep - my conclusion exactly. I'm going to stop this overanalysing.
I started collecting ideas and fabrics for a project a while ago. It's a church kneeler/hassock in nasty green vinyl, for which I had the bright idea of making a new cover. While I'm thinking of how to decorate the top I'm making the outside edge with a big zip.

Anyway... I briefly considered installing a pentagram on it, just for fun. When mulling over how to do this, I came across an old enamel badge, probably picked up with a box of sewing bits from a car boot sale. It says 'I believe in God'.

OK, I thought, yeah, the pentagram was a crap idea. You don't kneel to them anyway.

Was it God gently chiding me for taking the piss? Or a coincidence? We know.

Today I crossed out 2 segments at once, and noticed there was the semblance of the word - 'god'.
I will come back to your other thoughts later.

Meantime, on this very aspect and while I remember, only a few weeks back and before going to sleep was using the notepad app on my mobile. When finished, must have been starting to doze, because instead of putting said phone on bedside table, I placed it under the pillow to prevent inadvertently lying on top and cracking its screen.

Come morning, realised I had left the app open and as a result of there being some overnight movement contact with the screen, there was a page filled with text garbage.

Except that, clearly written in the midst of 'gyyrsdvhuuhf56vk', or whatever, was the word 'balmorhenan'.

Realising this was odd and even looked like intented to be meaningful, I contemplated the possibilities.

Instantly, one such came to mind. Of course...

'I'll take a bottle of the 12 year old Balmorhenan, please...'.

Aside from a nod towards what you were indicating, it does spring to mind, this offers exciting possibilities for contemporary divination. :cool:

If we look for magic we'll eventually find it.
Sometimes...

It can be dependent on your parameters, regardless of what may appear magical.

If you suspect it might be illusory, that's the quandary.

My circumstances offer an exact example of this particular position.

I have two clear examples of an occurrence - the 'guidance' and the ring - in which each implies an effect outwith my accepted parameters.

You do not receive such guidance and rings do not materialise.

Yet, both did manifest... they actually happened.

Accordingly, I must conclude each has a rational explanation within my parameters and 'magic' has no place there.

So, what would the 'tipping point' be? What needs to happen before acceptance of a 'magical' intervention.

Can we agree the answer remains... hard evidence, indisputable factual evidence and in short, proof.

Until then, like so many and perhaps especially here, I am perfectly capable of remaining open to possibilities, especially when neither of the two incidents related have been satisfactory explained.

Which still leaves a nagging doubt about my doubts.

This equally applies to my personal interest in UFOs. Whilst content the vast majority can be rationalised, not all of them though. No, I'm not having that.

It's all bothersome and endures.

I came across an old enamel badge, probably picked up with a box of sewing bits from a car boot sale. It says 'I believe in God'.
You're another one then, gambling on the afterlife by not taking such seemingly blatant signs at face value... :evillaugh:

You're another one then, gambling on the afterlife by not taking such seemingly blatant signs at face value... :evillaugh:

Having been raised a Methodist (everyone who's good goes to Heaven, Jesus as a kindly big brother, God as a deeply patient - if sometimes wry - slightly elderly father, no gambling, just be kind!) I'm happy to take the hint and will make the hassock cover respectfully Christian.

If a little hippy-dippy. Like Jesus himself.

Dunno what I'll then do with it but the concentration and creativity are the point of it.

I will come back to your other thoughts later.

Meantime, on this very aspect and while I remember, only a few weeks back and before going to sleep was using the notepad app on my mobile. When finished, must have been starting to doze, because instead of putting said phone on bedside table, I placed it under the pillow to prevent inadvertently lying on top and cracking its screen.

Come morning, realised I had left the app open and as a result of there being some overnight movement contact with the screen, there was a page filled with text garbage.

Except that, clearly written in the midst of 'gyyrsdvhuuhf56vk', or whatever, was the word 'balmorhenan'.

Realising this was odd and even looked like intented to be meaningful, I contemplated the possibilities.

Instantly, one such came to mind. Of course...

'I'll take a bottle of the 12 year old Balmorhenan, please...'.

Aside from a nod towards what you were indicating, it does spring to mind, this offers exciting possibilities for contemporary divination. :cool:

Heh, Escet runs a board games group and is always looking out for new games or indeed old ones that his friends haven't seen before.

A while back I picked up a big bag of Scrabble stuff, with old boards, about a million tiles, a couple of full sets and various bits and pieces including an immaculate Scrabble turntable.
Handed it all over recently, to his delight, and he later posted a photo of the loose tiles after he'd washed them and set them out to dry.

Scrabble tiles.jpg
You'd think some more interesting words would be randomly formed than 'SOB' and 'RIG', although I was pleased to spot my own favourite exclamation 'PFFT'.

Back