• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seeking Books I Remember On RAF & Airfield Ghosts

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
airfield ghosts

In the 80s I read a series of small press books about raf and airfield ghosts. I can't remember the author unfortunately but there wewre at least 5 books in the series! They were appallingly written but somehow the inexperienced writing made the stories seem more genuine - I was often scared out of my wits. Now that i want to try to find them again i can't. No matches on Amazon for books concerned withraf ghosts, airfield ghosts etc.

Can anyone else remember them?

I can, they had a couple in the local library, I'll have a look next time I'm down there, assuming they've not sold them to make space for more computers:rolleyes:

the ones I'm thinking of were Ghost Stations

The Ghost Stations books pop up on ebay occasionally... I've got a couple from there. They are pretty badly written, but are very sincere! They're also a mine of fortean occurences that only run to a line or two in the book and probably wouldn't be worth printing in more mainstream books... "a bloke I met down the pub saw an airman in a ww1 uniform at pewsey station vanish into thin air" type of thing. I'm also a big fan of those regional slim volumes that every bit of the country seem to produce "HAUNTED CORNWALL" or "MYSTERIOUS YORKSHIRE"... you know the thing:D

zygmunt said:
I'm also a big fan of those regional slim volumes that every bit of the country seem to produce "HAUNTED CORNWALL" or "MYSTERIOUS YORKSHIRE"... you know the thing:D
I have quite a nice one on haunted Lancashire that splits between traditional tales and modern observed phenomena.

Thanks very much for the title of the books I remembered! That's brilliant..

I always meant to pick up a copy of this, but I never got around to it:

Echoes in the Air : A Chronicle of Aeronautical Ghost Stories by Jack Currie.
The world of aviation has spawned an amazing collection of stories of ghosts, the supernatural, and inexplicable events. Pilots and casual visitors have seen ghostly aircraft and phantom aircrew on long-deserted airfields, aviation legends recount prophetic warnings from beyond the grave and restless spirits apparently drawn back to the aircraft they flew and the places they flew from. The Montrose ghosts, the haunted watchtower at East Kirkby, and the spectres of Eastern Airlines flight 401 are investigated. So too are the phantom Polish airman at Lindholme, the North Weald ghosts, and stories from the author's own experiences as a WWII bomber pilot. More than just repeating well-worn rumors and myths Echoes In The Air considers the reality behind these ghostly tales, based on eyewitness accounts and historical fact. Echoes In The Air is illustrated throughout with photographs, maps, and drawings, including specially commissioned pictures from many of the haunted airfields themselves. The final work from the renowned aviation author Jack Currie, Echoes In The Air is a classic collection of aviation ghost stories.

If anyone’s seeking ‘A Boy’s Treasury of Sea Stories’ from the mid sixties, I have a copy with an award certificate to me for excellent handwriting glued to the inside cover.

You couldn’t get away with a title like that these days.

I always meant to pick up a copy of this, but I never got around to it:

Echoes in the Air : A Chronicle of Aeronautical Ghost Stories by Jack Currie.
The world of aviation has spawned an amazing collection of stories of ghosts, the supernatural, and inexplicable events. Pilots and casual visitors have seen ghostly aircraft and phantom aircrew on long-deserted airfields, aviation legends recount prophetic warnings from beyond the grave and restless spirits apparently drawn back to the aircraft they flew and the places they flew from. The Montrose ghosts, the haunted watchtower at East Kirby, and the spectres of Eastern Airlines flight 401 are investigated. So too are the phantom Polish airman at Lindholme, the North Weald ghosts, and stories from the author's own experiences as a WWII bomber pilot. More than just repeating well-worn rumors and myths Echoes In The Air considers the reality behind these ghostly tales, based on eyewitness accounts and historical fact. Echoes In The Air is illustrated throughout with photographs, maps, and drawings, including specially commissioned pictures from many of the haunted airfields themselves. The final work from the renowned aviation author Jack Currie, Echoes In The Air is a classic collection of aviation ghost stories.

Sounds a good read. Freddy Jackson and all that. :nods:

I have a nice book on 'Ghosts of the Air' or summat. Dunno who it's by. There's also one called 'Mysteries of the Air' about people who get on planes before take-off but aren't present at landing and so on.

*jumps up and down* Ooh tell me more about the Mysteries of the Air one! Sounds right up my street. :)

Back