• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seeking Stone Age Comic Series (Bok?; "B.C." In Title)

skinny

Nigh
Spent 15min seeking traces of an old comic set in what used to be called the stone age. This would be late 70s. The title was "Bok", 100,000BC or something like that. Followed the fortunes of a cro-mag hunter and his troupe's conflict with the very slopy-foreheaded neanderthal bands. All animal skins and stone spears and caves.

Anybody have any recall or info? All I've found is Anthro, Conan and Krull, none of which are like my target. The name Bok is so strong in mind but gets zero hits on the engines.

Spent 15min seeking traces of an old comic set in what used to be called the stone age. This would be late 70s. The title was "Bok", 100,000BC or something like that. Followed the fortunes of a cro-mag hunter and his troupe's conflict with the very slopy-foreheaded neanderthal bands. All animal skins and stone spears and caves.

Anybody have any recall or info? All I've found is Anthro, Conan and Krull, none of which are like my target. The name Bok is so strong in mind but gets zero hits on the engines.

Sure it wasn't Tor?
DC comics ran that in the 70s and then relaunched it in the 90s:

Tor_Kubert.jpg

Don't think so, but even Tor has so few images to view in detail. It could be. I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Joe Kubert. His style is very he-man. The images in my mind are more natural looking.

My first guess is KORG: 70,000 B.C. (Charlton Comics; 1975 - 1976). The title is similar to your recollection, there's a character named Bok, and the short-lived series dealt with interactions between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons.

The series premiered in 1975. Stopped in 1976 after 9 issues.
The series describes - partly with scientific background - the adventures of a Neanderthal family during the latest Ice Age. The family has many members among which are Bok, Korg, Mara, Ree, Tane, and Tor. The family battles wild animals and they have encounters with a Cro-Magnon tribe.
The series is based on an educational TV show that ran from 1974 to 1975.

SOURCE (With Sample Covers): http://www.comicsinfo.dk/korg70000bc.htm

I saw those covers and it didn't look right - no recall of dinos, only mammoths and such. The name Bok being in it is a good sign though. Also, there's a mammoth hunt on cover one. I think Korg must be it. Wish I could find some strip images.

Glad you found out what you were looking for, Skinny. I was going to suggest Tuc, which was a caveman character from the 1940s, or even the B.C. newspaper strip by Brant Parker and Johnny Hart, creators of the brilliant Wizard of Id strip.

When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be Johnny Hart's B.C. comics!

Edit*
I missed Kryptonite's post!

Back