• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Selma the Sea Serpent (Lake Seljord; Norway)

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
She is back!!! Just in time for holiday season, like her sister Nessie!

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=589912

Seljord serpent spotted again

'Selma', the elusive sea serpent of Seljord in Telemark, has again been spotted. The dog days of summer, which stretch from July 23 to August 23 have traditionally been days where the legendary beast has been spotted in Lake Seljord, newspaper Telemarksavisa reports.

May have filmed the Seljord monster

Carin Pettersson og Kjetil Mæland 13.08.04 12:01

Swedish Jan-Ove Sundberg is sure there is a great unknown creature living in the Seljordvannet. He now has footage of something he thinks may be the Seljord monster.

This weekend his team GUST, Global Underwater Search Team consisting of five persons team, will study the film to see if they finally have proof of the monster’s existence.

Unfortunately, Sundberg did not manage to properly focus while he filmed what can have been the Seljord monster.

«The automatic zoom did not want to lock onto the object because the sun light was too strong,» Sundberg said to TV 2 Nettavisen.

All the same, Sundberg claims that the footage is good.

«It’s either a head or a part of the back,» Sundberg said. «It moved rather fast across the water. This weekend we are going to download the video to a computer and try to improve the photo quality.»

First after studying the pictures will Sundberg, who have been looking for the Seljord monster for years, be able to decide if he has found evidence for it existence of not. He has spent August at Seljordvannet to search for the monster that he is sure exists. He has been at Seljordvannet four times before and has earlier searched for Loch Ness in Scotland.

It was on this year’s last day of searching that Sundberg started to film something that he first thought was a buoy.

«I wanted some material to compare with later,» Sundberg explained. «When I zoom on the buoy, I saw that it moved rather fast. I thought it could not possible be the monster. When it’s 30 degrees warm, you don’t think strait.»

He said that after a while he understood that the object may not be a buoy after all, among things, because it moved faster than the current in the water. When he looked at the object through the camera, he saw something that could have been the head or the back of the Seljord monster.

«I address the others and pointed at it,» Sundberg explained. «It looks like a buoy, but I don’t know if it is one, I said. Suddenly, it disappeared.»

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article264768.ece

Emperor said:
Unfortunately, Sundberg did not manage to properly focus while he filmed what can have been the Seljord monster.

«The automatic zoom did not want to lock onto the object because the sun light was too strong,» Sundberg said to TV 2 Nettavisen.

Amateur....hire a real cameraman! ;)

sureshot

And the pictures (one of which is attached) are crappy:

NESSIE'S COUSIN?

Claims to have sea monster-footage

Kjetil Mæland og Carin Pettersson 18.08.04 10:00, ny 18.08.04 14:26

For the first time, the adventurer Jan-Ove Sundberg has managed to take pictures of what he claims to be the Seljord monster. View the pictures here.

Sundberg explained that the pictures of the monster also pictured a mirage of the animal (top), with a heat vibration in between. «That's the reason why it most of all resembles a cake or an ice hockey puck,» Sandberg stated.

Loch Ness has its «Nessie». Its Norwegian cousin may live in the lake Seljordsvannet about 80 miles west of Oslo in the county of Telemark.

Sundberg and his team, the Global Underwater Search Team (GUST), have been looking for the Seljord monster in the deep Norwegian lake for several years.

Last week TV 2 Nettavisen reported that Sundberg had filmed something that may be the Seljord monster. Here are the first pictures of what Sundberg claims is a small Seljord monster. The pictures are from a video which allegedly pictures the monster swimming in the water before disappearing into the water.

«It is rather speculative to call it a baby sea monster because the animal is only one and a half meter long,» Sundberg said to the Norwegian radio channel Kanal 24. «We have filmed an animal that moves itself up and down in the water.»

Mirage

Sundberg said to TV 2 Nettavisen that it is a mirage of the sea monster that is captured on film, and that it therefore can be difficult to interpret the pictures.

«We didn’t know what this was in the beginning, but we have now gotten it explained that the monster mirrors in the air,» Sundberg said. «Between the air mirage and the monster, you can see heat vibrations. These are in other words unique pictures. We have taken pictures of the sea monster at the same time as these are pictures of an atmospheric phenomenon.»

Another issue is that Sundberg never managed to focus the picture before the object disappeared underneath the water surface.

Analyse

When asked if this is a breakthrough in the hunt to find evidence of the existence of the Seljord monster, Sundberg answered yes.

«It’s not every day you get to film the monster,» Sundberg said. «This was just accidental. First I thought it was a buoy, but it was a mirage which tricked me. Now when we have analysed it home, we realize that it is a small monster in the water.»

Like a lion’s roar

When TV 2 Nettavisen talked to Sundberg Tuesday, he was working as on sounds he recorded at Seljordvannet this year. Sounds have been recorded earlier this year too. Researchers at the Institute for Marine Research in Bergen and University of Copenhagen have heard the recordings and concluded that that they were made by a large mammal.

Sundberg got new sound bites from the animal this year, but he does not wish to go public with the sounds just yet.

«We had just lowered the equipment into the water by Tjuvholmen when we heard a very loud sound directly underneath the boat,» Sundberg said. «It was like a lion that roared in the jungle, and it was directly underneath the boat. We jumped. We heard only one roar, and then we heard a smaller sound before it disappeared.»

Continues next year

GUST is back at Seljordsvannet next year. Then they are going to bring along divers, who among other things, are going to investigate strange tracks found on the floor of Seljordsvannet.

«We are also trying to build special equipment that is more useful for our mission,» Sundberg said. «Until now, we have used a sonar which is used to locate fish, but we are looking for larger animals.»

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article266744.ece

Norway's Nessie

Norwegian Claims Film
Of 'Norway Nessie'
8-22-4

A Swedish monster hunter believes he may have caught Norway's equivalent of the Loch Ness monster on film. Jan-Ove Sundberg says he may have filmed the serpent - Selma - in Lake Seljord.

Aftenposten quotes the Varden newspaper as saying he's studying a 20-second clip before releasing it publicly. The expedition leader said he saw something 30-40 centimetres long, black with a possible tinge of red and white.

Sundberg made a similar sighting four years ago and chose not to publish the film due to poor quality. The footage taken then and now will be compared.

The Swede got the latest footage on the final day of this year's expedition to the lake in Telemark. At first, Sundberg thought he saw a buoy in the water but was surprised when he focused more closely on the object.

"I have either filmed a gnarled head or the upper part of a hump complete with serrations," Sundberg said.

"The others didn't get a chance to see what I saw because suddenly it was gone. So it couldn't have been a buoy.

"Ducks can dive but they come back up. This didn't, so I don't understand what it could have been except for the sea serpent," he added. ananova

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_19-8-2004_pg9_4

I remember seeing a documentary on one of Sundberg's earlier expeditions, wherein he'd photographed what was obviously ( even to him ) a rotting log, which he then claimed was a picture of the monster, and was attempting to coach and coerce his fellow expedition members into going along with the ruse in order to secure more 'funding' through the sale of his pictures to the newspapers. As I recall, several of his fellow investigators refused to be a part of it and left for home, leaving the expedition to sputter and die with a whimper. He still sold the photos to the press, as representing something which he knew for a fact they did not. In my opinion, anything the man produces purporting to be 'evidence' is highly suspect.

Fairly Damning

Fairly damning, if true. Smacks of CSICOP ad hominem tactics though, which have been proven lies many times in the past.

And no, I'm not defending Sundberg, merely saying.

Forced to choose between Sundberg and CSICOP, put me in the inflatable dinghy next to Sundberg, snapping photos of bracken and floating leaf litter. The lesser of two evils.

Me, Too!

LOL - Yes, I'm with you two, at least there's a sense of fun.

Back