• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's some interesting context on how the Sentinelese are not as contacted as we might think:

Summary by PZ Myers: https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2018/11/23/the-sentinelese-are-not-uncontacted-primitives/

The full, linked article with pictures and video is here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/...bTM6DxyJSDSv-adHT3H5nGZHO8lR1doDBUFHfG0zh4YSk

Pretty interesting stuff.
Good article, as is the norn there's more to the story than typical sensationalistic headlines would have us believe.

According to the Associated Press authorities have identified the area where Sentinelese were observed burying Chau's body and are trying to determine whether and how they can retrieve his remains.
Indian police map area of island where US man was killed
Police said they have mapped the area of a remote Indian island where tribespeople were seen burying the body of an American adventurer and Christian missionary after allegedly killing him with arrows this month.

But before they can even attempt to recover the body of 26-year-old John Allen Chau, authorities have to learn from experts “the nuances of the group’s conduct and behavior, particularly in this kind of violent behavior,” said Dependra Pathak, the director-general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where North Sentinel Island is located. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/e6594be620fc435db63a45abdb01184c

Perhaps the search for his body should be abandoned, I can't see how the corpse could be recovered without causing further disturbance/danger to the tribe.

A rights organisation urged Indian police on Monday to call off efforts to recover the body of an American missionary believed to have been killed by an isolated tribe on a remote island due to the risk of introducing them to diseases.

John Allen Chau (26) is believed to have been killed last week after travelling to North Sentinel – part of the Indian archipelago of Andaman and Nicobar in the Bay of Bengal – to try to convert the tribe to Christianity.

Indian police are working with anthropologists and psychologists to see if a plan can be forged to recover the body of Mr Chau, an officer said on Monday

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...call-off-search-for-american-s-body-1.3712053

There are other isolated tribes in the world as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-elsewhere-in-the-world/ar-BBQ8F27?li=BBnbcA1

Please note that this article focused on the groups in South America, but there are others in New Guinea, and while it is doubtful, it is at least possible that such groups exist in Australia as well. There was a previously almost unknown aboriginal group discovered in Western Australia in the 1980's.

There are, but the ones on Sentinel Island may have been isolated for much much longer than the other tribes.

I'm glad that a do gooder has died & maybe, just maybe it'll send a message to 'international christian concern'..." to fuck off & keep your nose out of other peoples beliefs".
So whats next, 'international christian concern'...? A crusade against these people with Gattling guns, just to "teach them a lesson"?.

BTW, I want you bunch of zealots ('international christian concern') to come here & explain, why that idiot went there in the 1st place.!

I'm glad that a do gooder has died & maybe, just maybe it'll send a message to 'international christian concern'..." to fuck off & keep your nose out of other peoples beliefs".
So whats next, 'international christian concern'...? A crusade against these people with Gattling guns, just to "teach them a lesson"?.

BTW, I want you bunch of zealots ('international christian concern') to come here & explain, why that idiot went there in the 1st place.!
I find your happiness in someone's death disturbing.

I'm a Christian and I don't think he should have went there, as the islanders clearly had no desire for his presence. Where do you get this nonsense about Gatling guns?

I find your happiness in someone's death disturbing.

I'm a Christian and I don't think he should have went there, as the islanders clearly had no desire for his presence. Where do you get this nonsense about Gatling guns?

Look, I'm willing to accept a green/yellow (amber)/red warning.

That guy/icc, would've known that those people are not known for friendly meetings around a table for coffe.

Some people try to "convert" other people of different beliefs, use "the old testament" you know the usual "my god is is THE jealous type" etc., etc. That's what I find offensive. People no matter what belief they follow/subscribe too, it should be private.

So my personal apologies to you.

whilst I can understand but not approve of this tribes somewhat force full attitude to visitors, I can neither undestand or approve of the persistence of the visitor in question, however whomever is responsible for suggesting to he should go there should be investigated for manslaughter..... also as long as the body is there it poses a health risk
Wm.

Last edited:
As I put it on the Oklahoma gun forum:
I'm torn here, as I am a Christian, so on one level, I can see why the guy did it. He was obeying the call to 'go into all the world and preach the Good News'.

On another level, however, the islanders clearly reject outsiders, in large measure perhaps, due to the actions of that Englishman over a century ago. They made their desires clear and the Bible says to respect that as well. This seems to have been Mr. Chau's downfall.

While I don't make light of Mr. Chau's death, he clearly brought it upon himself.
Reactions on the gun group have quite varied, just as they are here.​

'In the near future....

An elite black-ops squad from the Vatican's Special Conversion Force is air-dropped onto Sentinel Island with orders to subject the entire population to baptism or last rites, within 24 hours. It should have been a piece of sacramental cake.

They soon find out that the 'savages' are not quite as primitive as the world thought they were. The bows and arrows were just for show.

And there's more. All this time we thought they were protecting their island from the onslaught of civilisation? It turns out that they were actually protecting humanity ..... from horrors beyond imagination, slumbering deep in the Sentinelese jungle, and soon to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world!'

Well I'd definitely watch it, anyway. I'm thinking Gerard Butler (early kill-off), Jeremy Renner and Margot Robbie? Maybe John Boyega too.
Ramon could do an imaginary review of it, for good measure?

'In the near future....

An elite black-ops squad from the Vatican's Special Conversion Force is air-dropped onto Sentinel Island with orders to subject the entire population to baptism or last rites, within 24 hours. It should have been a piece of sacramental cake.

They soon find out that the 'savages' are not quite as primitive as the world thought they were. The bows and arrows were just for show.

And there's more. All this time we thought they were protecting their island from the onslaught of civilisation? It turns out that they were actually protecting humanity ..... from horrors beyond imagination, slumbering deep in the Sentinelese jungle, and soon to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world!'

Well I'd definitely watch it, anyway. I'm thinking Gerard Butler (early kill-off), Jeremy Renner and Margot Robbie? Maybe John Boyega too.
Ramon could do an imaginary review of it, for good measure?
WOW!!! And I had no idea such a force existed. Utterly amazing what can be learned on an internet forum.

Is this "crap" really necessary - insightful.

If he truly wanted to be the good Christian he could be feeding starving kids in the Yemen, manning a shelter for abused women in Tijuana, or fighting HIV in central Africa - you know, actually doing something rather than shouting about his beliefs at a bunch of strangers.

This! The definative argument here. All hail Spookdaddy!

This! The definative argument here. All hail Spookdaddy!
I agree, Jesus clearly stated that one shows devotion with actions i.e.: caring for the poor, needy, treating ones fellow man like you desire to be treated, etc. However many fundamentalist - extremist believe this is of secondary importance. There "Goal" is to actively convert others (it matters not whether they're or not if there interested). They take scriptures out of context, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". The Bible does encourage Christians to share - spread there belief in Christ, but only if others are willing listeners.
BTW I went to a fundamentalist church years back for a few months. These folks were deceitful and agenda driven. 1st they welcomed you with love, fellowship, food, etc. Then comes the special rules (not 10 commandments) with the attempted brainwashing to spend as much time as is possible converting others. A very uncomfortable experience.

He clearly died doing what he loved... getting stuffed full of arrows.

He clearly died doing what he loved... getting stuffed full of arrows.

In imitation of St Sebastian.

saint-sebastian-1c1a8fae-a5e1-45ec-8477-98d9d1d39b2-resize-750.jpg

In 1880, in an effort to establish contact with the Sentinelese, Royal Navy officer Maurice Vidal Portman, who was serving as a colonial administrator to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, led an armed group of Europeans along with convict-orderlies and Andamanese trackers[clarification needed] (whom they had already befriended) to North Sentinel Island. On their arrival, the islanders fled into the treeline. After several days of futile search, during which they found abandoned villages and paths, Portman's men captured six people: an elderly man, a woman and four children. The man and woman died of illness shortly after their arrival in Port Blair and the children began to fall ill as well. Portman hurriedly sent the children back to North Sentinel Island with a large quantity of gifts in an attempt to establish friendly relations. Portman visited the island again in 1883, 1885 and 1887.

Apart from the preaching, Chau really didn't think he was doing them possible (probable) harm simply by coming into contact with them?

Back