• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sept. 1, 1978: Cluster Of Sightings: Llanerchymedd, Galloway, Drummore

NumberNine

Junior Acolyte
There was a not dissimilar incident on 1 September 1978 witnessed by a farmer on Galloway - so not far away across the Irish Sea. His cows stopped giving milk after the experience and his hair alleged turned colour overnight.

So whilst most likely it was a fireball it is still pretty interesting.

Is this a different incident on the same date?

SEPTEMBER 1, 1978, LLANERCHYMEDD, ANGLESEY, U-K., PAT OWEN:
Brief summary of the event and follow-up:
A story from fragmentary sources indicates that in September 1978, there were several UFO sighting reports in the north of Wales, U-K.

That would have begun on September 1 in the night. Farmer John Roberts hunted rabbits, when at approximately 8 p.m. he suddenly saw a shining and bright white light slowly going down from the sky near the village of Llanerchymedd, Anglesey. It is said he saw that villagers looked towards a bumpy field behind new residences. Others saw a large silver sphere above a field, or this field.

Approximately ten minutes later, Mrs. Pat Owen, in her bedroom with her 2-year-old daughter Adelle, reportedly saw a light, or this light. She was looking by the window and also saw three men walking through the field.

She said they wore silver gray outfits with a kind of hat on their heads, attached to the outfits. They were all well more than six feet tall. She saw only their backs.

She saw that the cows were terrified because of these men, they fled.

Frightened, she ran to the village to find her husband.

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/ce3/1978-09-01-uk-llanerchymedd.htm

Is this a different incident on the same date?

SEPTEMBER 1, 1978, LLANERCHYMEDD, ANGLESEY, U-K., PAT OWEN:
Brief summary of the event and follow-up:
A story from fragmentary sources indicates that in September 1978, there were several UFO sighting reports in the north of Wales, U-K.

That would have begun on September 1 in the night. Farmer John Roberts hunted rabbits, when at approximately 8 p.m. he suddenly saw a shining and bright white light slowly going down from the sky near the village of Llanerchymedd, Anglesey. It is said he saw that villagers looked towards a bumpy field behind new residences. Others saw a large silver sphere above a field, or this field.

Approximately ten minutes later, Mrs. Pat Owen, in her bedroom with her 2-year-old daughter Adelle, reportedly saw a light, or this light. She was looking by the window and also saw three men walking through the field.

She said they wore silver gray outfits with a kind of hat on their heads, attached to the outfits. They were all well more than six feet tall. She saw only their backs.

She saw that the cows were terrified because of these men, they fled.

Frightened, she ran to the village to find her husband.

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/ce3/1978-09-01-uk-llanerchymedd.htm
Very busy airfield, RAF Valley. Not 1000 miles from Wylfa power station either.

The Llanerchymedd case was well investigated and reported in FSR. There were some doubts about aspects of it. And some links with an exercise from Valley were found.

Or at least the RAF were in the fields involved wandering around in the days afterward. But the local police called out to the sightings on the night said they were not notified in advance of an RAF exercise as they usually were.

The case from Gallaway is different - and in Scotland, of course, not Wales.

But it was on the same day and was not the only other incident that same date of note either.

The incident I refer to involved a 62 year old dairy cattle man at Carrochtrie Farm, Drummore. At 4.30 am.

He said that two disks came over and back from the sea making a whirring noise. The cattle stampeded through the byre and refused to give milk for several days afterward. He also claimed that his hair turned white over that same period of days.

It is worth noting (as I did in my report) that there was an RAF base very near here - too - West Freugh. The cows apparently never reacted to the jets that passed over them regularly.

But the link with proximity to RAF bases for both these cases on the same date lead to us inevitably considering some connection with potential military exercises at that time.

Though involving what is not clear. Or how the reported side effects in both places will be explained.

Even more interesting (case I described in Northern UFO News at the time, issue 53 after he described it to me) the well known Fortean researcher Paul Screeton was staying that very same night in a caravan at Berwick on Tweed with his wife and kids. They saw a yellowish oval pass over a flock of sheep nearby that caused them to become 'extremely disturbed'.

And - guess what - there was an RAF base near them there too.

So - yes - RAF exercises are involved here somehow you would think.

But three animal disturbance cases on one day in Wales, Scotland and England is interesting.

But three animal disturbance cases on one day in Wales, Scotland and England is interesting.
I think I've said this before, but occasionally at Wylfa the earthquake monitors (reactors had at one time a triple redundant earthquake detection system, I assume they still have) would blip and the routine at Wylfa was to ring the duty officer at Valley and ask if there'd been an earthquake. I'm given to understand the answer was along the lines of "There was definitely no earthquake. Good evening."

I think I've said this before, but occasionally at Wylfa the earthquake monitors (reactors had at one time a triple redundant earthquake detection system, I assume they still have) would blip and the routine at Wylfa was to ring the duty officer at Valley and ask if there'd been an earthquake. I'm given to understand the answer was along the lines of "There was definitely no earthquake. Good evening."

We do get earthquakes around the Menai Strait - there have been three or four since I moved here. Quite a surprise, the first one! They are only mild, of course.

Yes, I lived in Abergele for 12 years and we had a few minor quakes that woke me up there!

I also spent several weeks when studying geology at college at the centre just next to the Menai Bridge back in the early 70s. Ynys Mon (Anglesey) is a wonderful place to do geology.

A friend of mine was on holiday somewhere in Wales when there was a tremor. She didn't feel anything but happened to look out of the caravan window just in time to see trees sliding down the hill!

The Llanerchymedd case was well investigated and reported in FSR. There were some doubts about aspects of it. And some links with an exercise from Valley were found.

Or at least the RAF were in the fields involved wandering around in the days afterward. But the local police called out to the sightings on the night said they were not notified in advance of an RAF exercise as they usually were.

The case from Gallaway is different - and in Scotland, of course, not Wales.

But it was on the same day and was not the only other incident that same date of note either.

The incident I refer to involved a 62 year old dairy cattle man at Carrochtrie Farm, Drummore. At 4.30 am.

He said that two disks came over and back from the sea making a whirring noise. The cattle stampeded through the byre and refused to give milk for several days afterward. He also claimed that his hair turned white over that same period of days.

It is worth noting (as I did in my report) that there was an RAF base very near here - too - West Freugh. The cows apparently never reacted to the jets that passed over them regularly.

But the link with proximity to RAF bases for both these cases on the same date lead to us inevitably considering some connection with potential military exercises at that time.

Though involving what is not clear. Or how the reported side effects in both places will be explained.

Even more interesting (case I described in Northern UFO News at the time, issue 53 after he described it to me) the well known Fortean researcher Paul Screeton was staying that very same night in a caravan at Berwick on Tweed with his wife and kids. They saw a yellowish oval pass over a flock of sheep nearby that caused them to become 'extremely disturbed'.

its the rule of the synchronicity
if more than one ufo case happens in the same day, they will surely be connected

Reactions: RaM
Back