• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Serendipity

mrs_mose

Junior Acolyte
I just wanted to share an odd sequence of events that happened to me on Tuesday this week (2nd July).

Although I work in an office, we are lucky enough to be able to have the radio on and we listen to Radio X every day. I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with the station but its a commercial rock/indie station. We have listened to this station almost every day this year and I hadnt heard them do a competition before - although that isn't to say they don't occasionally do them...

Anyway, on this particular day they were running a competition to win a new mobile phone and the chance to win £1000. I don't usually enter competitions like this because I resent paying money by entering via text message but for some reason, on Tuesday, I did enter the competition. All you had to do was text the number with the answer to a fairly simple question.

After I hit send I became aware of a buzzing sensation in the base of my skull at the top of my spine. I remember thinking that I needed a wee (tmi sorry!) but didn't want to go in case my phone rang. Literally 3 minutes after I text in my entry my phone rang.

It was the radio station informing me that I was a potential winner and I would be put on hold. After about 5 mins on hold I was put through to the studio and the presenter. It was being recorded to be played later - I assume to filter out any potential swearing! They said that I was first to go and by this point I was shaking with nerves and excitement. They asked me the question I had text in the answer to so I gave my answer, which was correct, and was told I had won the phone.

They then gave me the chance to gamble to win the £1000 as well as the phone. If I got the question wrong I wouldn't win anything. I immediately said I would risk it and gamble. The next question was "Prince William supports which football team?" Luckily, I knew the answer because Aston Villa were in the playoffs this year and I saw him in the stands on TV. So, happily, I won the money and the phone.

It was just such an odd chain of events - the radio station running a competition, me choosing to enter despite me never having done it before, the strong feeling I had to not leave my phone, and deciding to gamble which is out of character for me (general anxiety makes me quite risk averse!).

Congratulations on winning!

I had a similar experience about 15 years ago when I applied for a scholarship at the last minute. It was a large one ($5,000) for studying overseas, and I hadn't bothered applying for it earlier, since I was going overseas to a comfortable European country to essentially look at art, and only a small percentage of people who applied actually got this particular scholarship. The ones who did were usually going abroad to study redeeming stuff like what other cultures do to prevent Ebola, or how villages overcome obstacles that affect access to clean water or something.

The day before, or maybe the day of, the deadline, I got some kind of "inner nudge" and threw aside everything else I was working on to write a proposal for the application. I also had to get official documents together to send with the application. I just happened to have a sealed copy of one of the documents that would have normally taken me several days to get an official copy of. Anyway, I threw together an application for a scholarship that I had already decided to not bother with since my chances were so slim, got to the post office before it closed, and was shocked when I received $5000 to look at art. It changed my life.

Great stuff mrs-mose and IbisNibs! Congratulations to you both! Lovely stories with a Fortean undertone. :)

Sollywos x

Gee thanks!
If you've ever experienced that buzzing sensation in the base of your skulls, and inner nudge or something similar, please share the results!
:hapdan:

This happened to me. The radio was in downstairs and i happenes to be walking from the bathroom to the bedroom upstairs and heard the comp. The prize was a ghost hunting session at the Galleries of Justice in Notingham. I just knew I had won so texted the answer and 30 mins later I had won!!

Back